26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 23.08%
  • Nay

20 76.92%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Just got back. It's boring, unexciting, i felt no euphoria with the titular titans. In spite of all the flash and fx in the world, this movie succeeds in rendering bats and supes ordinary. They're vessels for bringing down noise and excess on unfortunate moviegoers. i think that affleck's portrayal of batman is faintly intriguing but he's in a shitty movie. This is what the trailers promised and boy did it deliver.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Given my usual opinion on Snyder, my reaction will probably be written off as a hater, but my god, this was unfathomably bad. It was not just boring as hell, it's unnecessarily confusing. The movie is called Batman v Superman, and yet when the one and only fight starts, I was not clear on why they're fighting. The movie starts with a good enough reason, which is Bruce Wayne being pissed about the destruction of Metropolis, but then there's a whole two hours afterwards of government hearings and The Flash warning from the future and Luthor doing something or other and I didn't understand any of it. Holy shit, why would you make a movie like this this complicated? Just utterly shit.

The Justice League cameos were the worst "wink wink future franchise" derailing of a movie since Iron Man 2.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The movie is called Batman v Superman, and yet when the one and only fight starts, I was not clear on why they're fighting.
    I've read this from a few sources, so you're not alone.

Also, I heard that Batman is .... uh .. .different?

[
    ]

Jesus Christ, what the fuck were they thinking? How do you take a character like Batman and have him do that?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Jesus Christ, what the fuck were they thinking? How do you take a character like Batman and have him do that?
    Because Zack Snyder.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I will be on schadenfreude overload reading the reviews for this.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

[
    ]
    [
    ]

At the end of the movie he's [
    ].
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Can't wait for the explanation as to why [
    ]
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It seems like the only people really excited about this movie are Trump supporters. I'm absolutely loving this crash and burn. WB must be sweating like crazy. No way does Justice League come out next year. I have a feeling they will sideline that and push forward Affleck's solo Bat film.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

This now officially has a lower Tomatometer score than Tommy Wiseau's The Room.
    Movie Theater Diary

This now officially has a lower Tomatometer score than Tommy Wiseau's The Room.
    Still higher than My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 though.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Still shocked. I didn't think it was possible for Warners to fuck up this badly. How do they manage to produce good TV and yet mediocre movies --- based on the same characters?

I don't know how much the Tomatometer matters outside US fandom. This movie will release in 4,000 theaters in the US and 82 countries near-simultaneously. I wouldn't be surprised if it pushed ~$600 million, as other badly received tentpoles did (Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, Man of Steel).

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    WB must be sweating like crazy. No way does Justice League come out next year.
    Unless the worldwide gross this weekend bails it out.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

From what I keep hearing how Suicide Squad and the Wonder Woman movies do is the real test.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    It seems like the only people really excited about this movie are Trump supporters.
    Now I can't even want to see a Batman/Superman movie without being a Trump supporter? Man, that is the trolliest thing I've ever seen you post.

Also, I heard that Batman is .... uh .. .different?

[
    ]

I fail to see the problem here. It's a reinterpretation of the character, possibly appropriate for the times we live in. No holds barred, relentless, violent, grim, but as I said this Batman is part of a messy movie which still makes it impossible to feel anything for the character.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I fail to see the problem here. It's a reinterpretation of the character, possibly appropriate for the times we live in. No holds barred, relentless, violent, grim, but as I said this Batman is part of a messy movie which still makes it impossible to feel anything for the character.
    Yeah, honestly, I was so bored and restless by the movie that by the time he started mowing people down with guns I couldn't be bothered to muster any nerdrage about it.

It's meant to be Frank Miller's Batman anyway. The big scene where he overtly shoots someone to death is adapted verbatim from a scene in Dark Knight Returns.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm guessing I should just watch Dark Knight Returns again until this comes out for rent?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can't thank you enough for the spoiler tags guys. I typically don't read these threads until I see the movie but I was too tempted this morning. So you guys saved me.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

By the way, Eisenberg's performance is even more manic than the trailers suggest (can you believe they used the most subdued parts?), but even so, he's not the worst thing about this Luthor. The character is all over the place. I don't even fully understand why he's getting Batman and Superman to fight.

[
    ]
    Movie Theater Diary

It's meant to be Frank Miller's Batman anyway. The big scene where he overtly shoots someone to death is adapted verbatim from a scene in Dark Knight Returns.
    Batman shoots someone to death in Dark Knight Returns?
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Batman shoots someone to death in Dark Knight Returns?
    It's this scene. I know it's obscured enough to debate about in the comic (and it has been debated on for decades now), but clearly Snyder interprets it a certain way.

Movie Theater Diary

It's this scene. I know it's obscured enough to debate about in the comic (and it has been debated on for decades now), but clearly Snyder interprets it a certain way.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, that scene is strangely ambiguous. Given that later in the comic, multiple people explicitly say Batman's never killed anyone, and he doesn't kill the Joker, I always assumed he either just wounded the guy or shot next to him to frighten him (which would fit with the mutant's facial expression but not with the apparent blood splatter). But I remember Snyder saying he likes the Comedian from Watchmen because "he's a bad ass", so I can see him interpreting this scene as Batman killing the guy.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

He made it more explicit. In the movie [
    ]. It's a really dumb scene.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ha. I think I'll take a pass on this one. Still haven't seen Snyder's other superhero movies.

lists and reviews

Producer
    This begins and ends OK. I liked the reframing of MoS' end through Wayne's point of view, and the climatic fight has more variety and players (including one or two that has different vulnerabilities) than the endless loop that is last film's climax. Almost everything in between, however, is bad. If I watched this at home, I would fast-forward through every scene with Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. The actor isn't actually bad for me, per se (he and Gadot seem the only ones to have some fun), but the material he was given is truly atrocious.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast