Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 23.08%
  • Nay

20 76.92%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yeah, I really didn't notice any of the product placement this time around either...

Producer
    I rarely ever notice product placement in films, and I did once for both of these films. Strangely enough, both instances involved Lois Lane. MoS had her climbing the ice cave and then placed the camera in such a perfect close-up. BvS is during the bathtub scene where her shampoo bottle was distractingly blaring its brand right behind her.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I didn't think it was as bad as Man of Steel. I was half expecting Bats and Supes to be duking it out inside a Pizza Hut.
    "Did someone order a number two COMBO!"

BAM! BAM!

"Sorry, Bats, but we're all out of Hawaiian...PUNCH!"

POW!

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    HA! Oh man...that music cue is perfect.

Yeah, I really didn't notice any of the product placement this time around either...
    Opening flashback sequence played like a commercial for whatever 2016 SUV Wayne was driving... the shampoo Peng mentioned... the long zoom into the Aston Martin logo on Wayne's vintage car... I can't remember precisely what the others were, but I remember there being at least two or three more.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Opening flashback sequence played like a commercial for whatever 2016 SUV Wayne was driving... the shampoo Peng mentioned... the long zoom into the Aston Martin logo on Wayne's vintage car... I can't remember precisely what the others were, but I remember there being at least two or three more.
    Still, nothing even nearly as in your face gratuitous as Superman vs the Kryptons as brought to you by Sears and your local IHOP. Oof!

It was a perfect encapsulation of Zack Snyder's worldview, though, that his interpretation of Smallville, which is supposed to be the quintessential nice folksy American small town, has its Main Street a row of IHOP, Sears, and Wal-Mart.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I guess it was the senseless attention the small brands got, which were jarring in the context of the film. I've come to expect branded buildings in Hollywood blockbusters.

Would it be fair to say there is more drama in this clip than there is in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

Just got back, and agree this was bad. I mean, I generally don't care for superhero films anyway (still haven't seen the latest Cpt America or Avengers), but I do like Batman for the most part. The slow motion was too much, the story was too hard to follow, and never really gave me a reason to care. Not only that, but it's already been touched on in this thread about the [
    ]That was so utterly stupid that I stopped caring about anything but when the movie would end, and it was like another 30 minutes of "action" and "excitement" before the conclusion. [
    ]
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Ha. Sad Affleck is amazing. Coming off a string of critical hits, this has to be pretty rough.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I just remembered the funniest line in the movie. When Batman just randomly tells Wonder Woman that they're in an evacuated neighborhood, right before fighting Doomsday and blowing the whole place up. I chuckled because that concern is so at odds with how much casualty there were in the first two hours of the movie. I couldn't help imagining a subliminal image of Snyder just dusting off his hands and then waving two middle fingers.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Last edited by Peng; 03-26-2016 at 04:35 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    still better than The Dark Knight Rises
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 03-26-2016 at 06:10 AM.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    still better than The Dark Knight Returns
    Also better than The Dark Knight Rises.

whoops. yeah, what he said!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No to both of those posts.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's not better than most films that I can recall right now.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This literally felt like I was watching the superhero equivalent of True Detective’s second season. As awesome as the final big action sequence, Jeremy Irons and the score were, and the use of newscasts is a solid homage to The Dark Knight Returns. . .this was an absolute slog. If the movie was trying to make the viewer pick a side in the five-minute fight between our heroes, it would've helped to have made them a little likable and less brooding or hyperviolent. What little “humorous” banter there is doesn’t feel organic to the story, and neither do scenes that only serve the purpose of screaming “THIS WILL MEAN SOMETHING IN ONE OF OUR NEXT FOUR MOVIES”, which stick out like a sore thumb. It tries too hard to add thought-provoking substance with its heavy handed metaphors, the characters' motivations change at the drop of a line, and why is Wonder Woman in this movie again? Ugh.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    It tries too hard to add thought-provoking substance with its heavy handed metaphors, the characters' motivations change at the drop of a line, and why is Wonder Woman in this movie again? Ugh.
    I thought about this a bit, as I do think aside from her hilarious theme music she's maybe the most interesting presence in the movie despite her lack of real function. I think honestly the script just needed [
    ]

In other news, this will make around $170 million this weekend so there's a good chance the filmmakers and the studio will just shirk off its critics as "lolhaters" and learn nothing from its totally valid maligned response! Yaayyy!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

In case anyone hadn't seen this:

Quote Quoting Armond White
    Fanboys do not own the franchises of Batman and Superman movies, so director Zack Snyder went against the mob and dared to raise the genre to a level of adult sophistication in 2013’s Man of Steel, the most emotionally powerful superhero movie ever made. (Fanboys hated it.) Snyder’s sequel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice adds politics, bringing to the fantasy some contemporary, real-world concerns. This is not conventional comic-book allegory; rather, Snyder uses the figures of Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill) walloping each other to give visible substance to social and moral issues, much as Greek tragedy does. He takes the wildest, Bizarro World fiction — of two superheroes turned super foes — and uses the premise to explicate our current dilemmas concerning power, principles, and divinity.

It helps that Snyder is also visionary, inclined to extravagant spectacle and gifted with a signature erotic touch. An early montage equates violence, wealth, loss, and grief through symbolic images of bullets, pearls, blood, and tears. It is witnessed by the young Bruce Wayne, a paranoid orphaned millionaire who misconstrues Superman’s involvement in the previous film’s battle that devastated Metropolis (and traumatized nearby Gotham City), and so he vows a vigilante’s revenge. With its legal-brief title, Batman v Superman reflects the confusion that pits secularists against believers, and the partisanship that inhibits national alliance. This tension is so visually amped up that the opposition of Batman to Superman feels revelatory: Man versus the god in Man.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ar-gets-mythic

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    In case anyone hadn't seen this:
    "It helps that Snyder is also visionary"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well I won't pay to watch this again. Wonder Woman came off very well. Batfleck came off aight. Eisenberg was a big fat no. That trailer gave everything away. Lots of silliness. No big sequences that we didn't see in the trailers, so I came away feeling like I just watched a longer trailer. No really big "wow!" sequences that we hadn't really already seen. Unfortunate.
    Last edited by Wryan; 03-27-2016 at 01:08 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast