Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 23.08%
  • Nay

20 76.92%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

He seems...optimistic...but interesting take. I'm seeing it tomorrow. I hope I can overlook the usual Snyder problems to come away with an overall thumbs up to it.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ahahaha Smith and Garman are so beautifully frank there. Even when Affleck is praised (which, even if he was bad in the role, would make sense since they're friends) they admit the characterization of Wayne he's given is mostly a dickish hothead.

It's even funnier since Smith hosted DC Films' big primetime special recently where they officially unveiled all these new trailers and details, and he seemed genuinely excited, if overly so. Here he just sounds like someone who couldn't even pretend to enjoy this. The ending bit about seeing it early by himself and not being allowed to discuss it, waiting for the reviews, and his fear he just became dead inside is great.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Was this really in the movie?

http://imgur.com/gallery/2bn1ipg

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Is that a mascot in the background? What are those kids doing?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Was this really in the movie?

http://imgur.com/gallery/2bn1ipg
    Not enough slo-mo to be in a Zack Snyder movie.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Everything about this movie just looks silly.

http://i.imgur.com/DrV9Azf.gifv

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    It had a 40% drop on Saturday. WB can gloat about opening weekend because everyone knew that it would make a lot of money those first few days. The film will struggle to beat Deadpool's domestic gross. WB should be embarrassed about that.
    It just crossed the 200 mil mark but I think I'm with Wats here. It needs to make another 150 million to beat Deadpool domestically. Even if it does get there, it's a little embarrassing to gross the same amount of money as an R-rated movie.

Oh and to also not come close to the previous two Batman movies ($534 and $448 Dom for DK and DKR).

Remember how much Sony shamed TAS and TAS2. Both films made loot, but didn't touch Raimi's Spidey 3.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

To be fair, though, Deadpool was an insane anomaly that no one saw coming, so I don't think anyone would be that embarrassed for not beating it. Because of its modest budget, there's just no other superhero movie that would come close to touching Deadpool's profit margin. What will be embarrassing for WB is if this movie doesn't even make as much as Man of Steel, which is a real possibility.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Wonky post ahead:

Worldwide, BvS already has $530 mil after six days against MoS's lifetime $670 mil. So WB probably isn't sweating.

Domestic is trickier based on opening weekend numbers. People were citing the Friday-to-Sunday drop as a huge sign of bad word of mouth, but this was Easter Weekend - Furious 7 showed a similarly substantial drop, dropping 30% Friday-to-Saturday, another 30% Saturday-to-Sunday. Technically, Furious 7's drop Sat-to-Sun was 29% against BvS's 33%.

Not insignificantly, BvS also nabbed records for best Monday and Tuesday March grosses, and Fandango's said they're seeing 30% more repeat business than for the average blockbusters - there aren't any hard numbers to back up that claim, though, so grain of salt.

Also, how significant were Thursday screenings? Non-rhetorical question. The Arclights in Hollywood were having all kinds of Thursday evening screenings, not just the 12:01 am shows or whatever. Would this similarly overload the "Friday" numbers?

Seeing how it does this weekend will give us a better sense of its legs.

I'll say this, when looking up what was coming out this weekend, there were already Thursday and Friday shows for BvS that were already sold out from what I saw. Mostly morning shows, sorta like what happened with Star Wars when that came out and it was mostly morning shows that were consistently selling out.

81% drop from last weekend.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Now WB / DC is probably pissing their collective business-casual khaki pants.

And maybe this is the best possible outcome - the film's going to likely recoup globally, but barely, and the precipitous drop combined with the critical drubbing and mild word of mouth could hopefully, hopefully, hopefully get Snyder pushed more to the side.

The man is simply not a good match to this material.

Bwhahahah. It went from an 81 mil Friday to 15!

68% drop for the weekend. I see some people still fighting to say it's a huge box office hit and this is an expected drop, but there was literally no competition this weekend. Either way I don't think it will really matter for WB's plans, it would've been nice if Snyder got the boot for Justice League but that's just not realistic.

This movie is especially annoying because Snyder, through his own bungling of Man of Steel, actually has a perfect setup for the duel. The story could've written itself; it should've been easy. But no, for no reason at all, they completely squander this setup by being aggressively incomprehensible for the next two hours. To be interesting at all, this absolutely had to be framed as a pure battle of ideologies. They can't even get this right, as Luthor's manipulation of the heroes undermines the entire weight of the battle.

Snyder has the technical competency to create vibrant images, but he has no taste. No ear for dialogue or feel for nuance. For every striking image, there are multiple confounding choices. Eisenberg plays Bizarro-Zuckerberg at a level that a good director would've coached him down from. There is something interesting about Affleck's take on Wayne, but it doesn't belong in this movie with Amazonian drums and cheesy found footage of mer-men.

It's a boring mess, but even more unfortunate, it's a complete waste of a great seed.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 04-03-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It just crossed the 200 mil mark but I think I'm with Wats here. It needs to make another 150 million to beat Deadpool domestically. Even if it does get there, it's a little embarrassing to gross the same amount of money as an R-rated movie.

Oh and to also not come close to the previous two Batman movies ($534 and $448 Dom for DK and DKR).

Remember how much Sony shamed TAS and TAS2. Both films made loot, but didn't touch Raimi's Spidey 3.
    Weekend est is +52 which brings it to 261.

It needs 90 to meet Deadpool and 30 to get to Man of Steel.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    It's a boring mess, but even more unfortunate, it's a complete waste of a great seed.
    The bizarre thing about this to me is that... Are there any ideological differences between Batman and Superman as Snyder sees them??

It seems that, because Man of Steel's dampened approach seeded a Superman who belongs in the scary vigilante status, the classic clash of Batman's fearmongering vs Superman's boy scoutery wouldn't work here. Even the setup in The Dark Knight Returns that this supposedly reveres hinges on the premise of Superman being on the side of the authorities, which Snyder's Superman is very adamantly not.

What they really needed to do was to fulfill the promise of Man of Steel's defenders who said that it was a young Superman still learning to be the Superman that we know, and start the sequel off with that promised character who can then be a contrast to Batman. Instead they doubled down on MoS' depiction of a distant, alien Superman and adopt a human POV of him that makes him look even more freakish from ground level. Then they try to juxtapose him with someone who is also freakish? It's so strange that there doesn't seem to be any thought put behind that dynamic other than "This one's very powerful, this one's a badass dude, ok pew pew pew pew."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, I agree their viewpoints aren't developed at all. Snyder is not interested in that. He is interested in which guy is cooler. And I mean "cooler" in the most basic and unsophisticated sense. The film favors Wayne's POV for that reason alone, not for anything he actually believes. Interestingly, Bruce Wayne in Snyder's world really is a genuine womanizing playboy; Snyder likes this about him, so why make it an act? I don't think he gives a shit about Superman, besides the character's potential for mythological imagery.

That said, the intro, which is admittedly pretty good, promises a deeper exploration that goes unfulfilled. As you said, pitting their traditional ideologies against each other would be tough because Snyder screwed the Superman character so bad in the last movie. They'd probably have to re-frame both characters pretty significantly from how they exist in canon. But I would have been okay with that, because at least then we'd have a compelling and comprehensible first and second act. Instead, we're punished with two hours of noise and unintelligible dreams, and the two titans are just treated as puppets to Manchild McEvil. By the time they actually square off, it's all about Luthor's manipulation and coercion. To this day, I have no idea what Superman thinks of the "thousands of people" he killed, which they actually confirm directly in the movie.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Interestingly, Bruce Wayne in Snyder's world really is a genuine womanizing playboy; Snyder likes this about him, so why make it an act?
    Haha, I'd completely forgotten about that scene of him contemptuously leaving a naked faceless woman in his bed. Between that and quoting Dick Cheney to look tough, Snyder's idea of what makes a superhero cool seems to be in line with the base masculinity that drives '90s comics. I guess that explains the inclusion of Doomsday.
    Movie Theater Diary

Good points guys!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I've always wanted to see (or write!) a Superman/Batman story exploring how both Metropolis and Gotham are reflections of NYC at around the same time, yet one is pitch black and pessimistic while the other is a bright near-utopia full of hope and wonder.

I feel like they missed an opportunity for something like this here.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It's kinda funny that the cities are across each other here, separated only by a river.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's kinda funny that the cities are across each other here, separated only by a river.
    Isn't it basically the Bay Area?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    This dropped a lot more rapidly than I expected, but I don't think Warners is shitting their pants. At least not in the longer term.

It was always more product than movie and like any corporation who makes a product that underperforms, they will change their manufacturing process going forward. Any pants-shitting will eventually turn into a shrug.

We live in a marketplace where movies like Iron Man 2 and Thor: Dark World hit $600MM worldwide and their respective franchises are viewed as fine. Just dandy. (Did I say that already, somewhere? It feels like I might have said this already).

I suspect Warners will do now what Paramount did in the 70s, when Star Trek: The Movie met tepid reviews & box office. Keep the franchise, cut the budgets. (For awhile, every Star Trek movie had a slightly smaller budget than the previous installment, despite any one picture's success). My bet is that Warners will scale back set pieces, revise scripts, and reduce worldwide advertising for future DC movies. BvS' performance isn't nearly as much as a problem as BvS's outsized cost.

See also: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-films-881265

I'm starting to find BO discussion horribly boring (eg: Scott Mendelsohn at Forbes). My only real question now is why so many people seem to have a deep, emotional investment in the failure of BvS on both sides of it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast