Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay $50 to see a first-run movie at home?

Its a fine argument for older cinema that had only one outlet - theaters sans stadium seating. But filmmakers have to change with the times.

The arthouse theaters that show old movies here, even the brand new one that just opened last month, all use non-stadium seating.

anyway, when it comes to seating your choice is likely affected by how you see the act of watching a movie. If it's for unwinding and enjoyment, you'd likely to prefer comfy recliners. I see it more as a sit-up-and-pay-attention activity, so I prefer seats that keep my posture up. The aforementioned swanky new arthouse theater's seats were just these old Broadway style rigid wooden benches with upholstery separated by armrests and I loved it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The aforementioned swanky new arthouse theater's seats were just these old Broadway style rigid wooden benches with upholstery separated by armrests and I loved it.
    Yeh those are nice every once in a while, ala Hateful 8... but if Hollywood wants me to keep going out to watch movies, I need to be more comfortable than that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

With my less than perfect back and what not, those Broadway seats sound dreadful.

#itsnottheyearsitsthemileage
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    With my less than perfect back and what not, those Broadway seats sound dreadful.

#itsnottheyearsitsthemileage
    Stop making fire pits.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Stop making fire pits.
    Never!

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    At least five of the major studios are pushing plans to get movies into homes earlier, but theater chains and studios are still far apart from agreeing on how it would happen.

Warner Bros. and Universal have been the most aggressive in pursuing an arrangement that would see certain movies receive a premium video-on-demand release within weeks of their theatrical premieres, but now other studios are joining the discussions. Twentieth Century Fox has also begun to talk early releases with theater owners, while Sony is having its own separate talks with exhibitors and is trying to devise its own plan.
    https://variety.com/2017/film/news/v...rs-1201994060/

So, the good news: Some form of this might happen.

The bad news: There are six major studios. I'll give you one guess as to who isn't mentioned in this article.

BV needs to get on board and then I'll be excited.

Though I'm still a little excited.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Negotiations continue!

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/s...ly-1202013205/

Now they're talking $30 a pop, available 17-20 days after theatrical debut.

If this actually happens, it will be hard for me to justify going to a multiplex again.

I dunno. 3 weeks is a long time for movies that I need to talk to MC about immediately. I think my OCD would get the best of me there.

I like going to the theater to see films. It's the venue they were made for. Also, I have a sizable Criterion collection that I paid a lot of money for, and the reason for that is all the extra-narrative special features that add to my enjoyment and understanding of the film - that and the sterling presentations are what make them worth the money. Barebones releases I could see in theaters, on a bigger screen, for a fifth of the price? Pass.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    It's still a little pricey, but after all the times last year I was burned by a bad audience, it's something I'd consider.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

But get a couple like minded friends to come over and chip in, and its no more than a regular evening showing. Except with only selected like minded individuals.

It's happening!

March 20, current theatrical films like The Hunt, The Invisible Man, and Emma “will be available on a wide variety of the most popular on-demand services for a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets.”

Theaters were fun while they lasted...

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Of all the things I thought government incompetence would be the death of, theaters didn't even make the list. But they found a way.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Of all the things I thought government incompetence would be the death of, theaters didn't even make the list. But they found a way.
    We'll see in the long run, I guess.

But right now, nothing to do but cope. And that's the hard part.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Movie theaters have survived a lot, but eventually something will do them. I was thinking climate change, actually.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I just watched Schindler's List in a big, comfy cinema with perfect sound and projection for $4. Theaters for life!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    $20 is cheap as hell if you consider it a Pay-Per-View event and not a workaday movie rental, even though they're functionally the same.

I think theatrical showings will survive in some form or another --- but maybe the theater will be your living room and the other patrons will be on Discord.

Sorta similar to those twitch streams last year of Shaw Brothers movies, which were broadcast once on specific days and times and thousands of people watched them at once.

Or this:

FAST AND FURIOUS MARATHON FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING

"One movie per night, starting at 9pm EDT. All nine NOS-fueled classics. Watching together with our Family, over the Internet, with Discord Chat. You can have any brew you want, as long as it’s a Corona."

- - - - -
    Or this!

https://www.netflixparty.com/

Synchronized playback with chat features.

I'm a little surprised it took this long for someone to do it.

I found out that Roku has a Fandango app that lets you watch new movies including The Hunt and The Invisible Man for a certain price. So I guess others are doing it now, too. I am not sure I want to pay 19.99 in the case of the 2020 movies or even 5.99 for 2019 ones when RedBox is cheaper.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's happening...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trolls-...od-11588066202

“The results for ‘Trolls World Tour’ have exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability of PVOD,” Mr. Shell said. “As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats.”

- - - - -
    It's a good headline but who does AMC think they're fooling?

They'll be lucky if they're playing anybody's movies in 6 months, much less Universal's.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast