View Poll Results: ZOOTOPIA

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

24 96.00%
  • Nay

1 4.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zootopia (Byron Howard, Rich Moore)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I want 37 sequels to this movie. This may be the best Disney movie since the Lion King.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh my god, this is way way WAY better than either Wreck-it Ralph or Big Hero 6. Like, they're not even comparable. The sheer amount of modern day social and political issues this movie so seamlessly tackles is absolutely astounding! This movie was just completely BRILLIANT, and no hyperbole, may well be one of the most important movies released in this day and age. Love love LOVED it! Possibly my favorite non-musical Disney animated film. This is an absolute MUST see feature film!
    Aint even the same fuckin' sport.

100% agree with MUST SEE.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I want 37 sequels to this movie. This may be the best Disney movie since the Lion King.
    Now that I think about it, it might be, yes.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Now that I think about it, it might be, yes.
    The Emperor's New Groove is better than both. Easily.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Whoa. This deleted scene took the movie to a really dark place.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    The crazy thing is the whole collar element stayed in the movie for a very long time. That was just one of endless scenes that dealt with it, and obviously the most indicative that it mayyybe could've told this story without such a relentlessly depressing shadow hanging over even its joyful moments. Apparently Bateman's Nick also ran an illegal club where everyone could party without their collars away from society, which was the original catalyst for him having bargained to stay on the run with Judy.

There are even more rendered versions of that collar mitzvah scene in the Fusion documentary that just look haunting:

(spoilered for size)
    []
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Poor little polar bear.

[
    ]

Thought this was pretty dang wonderful.

Thematically blunt, yes -- there's no avoiding that given the film's central conceit. I'm more interested in how it explores those issues, and I think the film handles it with surprising intelligence and nuance. It's a bold ass movie, too. Far more daring in its perspective on class/identity/race politics than just about any other major U.S. release I can remember. This is where its medium (animation) really works to its favor, as the film is able to leverage allegory to soften some of its most challenging and/or incisive commentary. Very little fault to find in the animation and plotting; and it's interesting in itself to see a movie that's so colorful and conventionally playful on the one hand, yet so brazen in its treatment of provocative topics on the other. Plus, the DMV/sloth scene has to be one of the great animated scenes of all time, right? I'll gladly be taken out of the larger narrative for comedy that's executed that well.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Great finding!

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Great finding!
    I follow this channel.

You're a fan of Every Frame a Painting, I think you'd really appreciate Renegade Cut. Every week he posts videos like this, dissecting various themes and such for different films and oftentimes looking at them from a fairly unique approach.

I follow this channel.

You're a fan of Every Frame a Painting, I think you'd really appreciate Renegade Cut. Every week he posts videos like this, dissecting various themes and such for different films and oftentimes looking at them from a fairly unique approach.
    I just added it to my ever increasing list of film channels (I personally recommend you Channel Crisswell, Nerdwriter1, CinemaTyler, Film-Drunk Love, Lessons From The Screenplay, Ryan Hollinger and Wisecrack). I'll follow closely.

I started following now.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This movie's messaging felt fucking all over the place, and while the mystery of who's behind the plot gives the film a film noir style engine, the reveal/resolution just isn't that exciting or revealing. It's also super-fucking-weird, since the responsible party [
    ]

That said, beautiful movie, some very funny jokes, and a positive takeaway at the very end with the speech that closes the graduation ceremony. But the steps it took to get there just felt... like, again, the messaging felt surreal, and it's such a huge element.

Reminds me a lot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and how successfully that film navigated its subsumed politics.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Also, echoing Watashi, this "Disney renaissance" has produced some solid movies but nothing I'd really call classic, except maybe Tangled.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This movie's messaging felt fucking all over the place, and while the mystery of who's behind the plot gives the film a film noir style engine, the reveal/resolution just isn't that exciting or revealing. It's also super-fucking-weird, since the responsible party [
    ]

That said, beautiful movie, some very funny jokes, and a positive takeaway at the very end with the speech that closes the graduation ceremony. But the steps it took to get there just felt... like, again, the messaging felt surreal, and it's such a huge element.

Reminds me a lot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and how successfully that film navigated its subsumed politics.
    This is basically my opinion, although I probably should have clicked Yay all the same.

Bad news: somebody made an anti-abortion Zootopia comic.

Good news: the memes it's spawning are awesome.

My favorite:
    [
    ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12