Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VIII (Rian Johnson)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    lol... I can't even.. I mean, if we thought the retreads in Episode VII were bad. I just.... why can't we move on? Why does everything have to be so "try-hard"??
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Sorry... Im really freaking out. Partly because I wish I didn't read that and just have ignorance is bliss thing going on... and partly because I'm just so disappointed in everyone on this project.

[
    ]

Haha. No way is that real.

Are you sure though??

I mean the source the articles are linking to literally begins with:

"I read a possible link, but cant find info: Please Debunk?"

The Guardian is citing an unsubstantiated reddit post. What the fuck has journalism come to?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    My god.

I just read the leaked plot of Episode VIII and it is.... THE dumbest thing I've ever read. (no hyperbole)

I really really really really really really really really hope it's fake.
    Oscar Isaac had this to say:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74993
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    Didn't the similar-style "leak" of TFA begin the film with something like Luke's hand floating in space? This feels even more spectacularly fake than that.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Didn't the similar-style "leak" of TFA begin the film with something like Luke's hand floating in space? This feels even more spectacularly fake than that.
    Yeah, and that was from a journalist no less. I forgot who he listed as his source, if there even was any...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not a chance in hell that is true.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    This bit was apparently actually true though (and I secretly, kinda like it):

Quote Quoting Indiewire
    You might recall early rumors that said 'Force Awakens' would open with Luke Skywalker's lightsaber-clutching hand floating through space (though it might've just been the lightsaber — either way, it was his) and landing on a desert planet, where it's discovered by John Boyega and Daisy Ridley who decide to return the lightsaber to its rightful owner, starting a new adventure. Part of this is true. Apparently, there was a scene of the floating lightsaber, but it was cut out of the movie "late in the process." That surely would've been a bit on the nose in a movie already rich with callbacks, and it adds more mystery to how Maz Kanata came across it.
    Link

It seems like the info came from an outline of the plot that had most of the other details the same as the final film, but Rey and Finn discovered the lightsaber on Jakku, and that was what set them on their journey instead of BB-8. Perhaps this was the outline to Arndt's draft or an early one of Abrams & Kasdan?
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-24-2016 at 02:18 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Pretty cool casting rumor/spoiler.

[
    ]

Fall of the resistance.

Rumoured title. Prob fake.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I really hope it's not another case of something I could've predicted like I did with Revenge of the Sith's title years before it was ever announced.

They can do more than just try different nouns and actions with "of the" in between..
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I really hope it's not another case of something I could've predicted like I did with Revenge of the Sith's title years before it was ever announced.

They can do more than just try different nouns and actions with "of the" in between..
    The resistance falls?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

The Resistance is falling? Hmm. I figured it would be building back up.

The Empire Awakens

Quite frankly, I was pissed there was even such a thing as the First Order in The Force Awakens. Even after the destruction of the most powerful weapon the Galaxy, and the death of both Vadar and the Emperor, there was still enough assholes hanging out to basically form the Empire 2.0.

Like, what the fuck else needs to happen for us to get back to the Old Republic?? Fuck this franchise.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Quite frankly, I was pissed there was even such a thing as the First Order in The Force Awakens. Even after the destruction of the most powerful weapon the Galaxy, and the death of both Vadar and the Emperor, there was still enough assholes hanging out to basically form the Empire 2.0.

Like, what the fuck else needs to happen for us to get back to the Old Republic?? Fuck this franchise.
    Well, all the leaders are considerably young for what it's worth. Outside of Snook, it seems like everyone's 30 or below. No Moff Tarkin or General Veers.

My question to the Empire is, what is it that they're doing that seems to be the politically right thing to do to get support? Even as The Empire, I don't quite get what the fight is over.

This in no way hurts the movies at all, just something I've thought about in the back of my head.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There is no "Empire", the First Order is basically Nazis on the Moon or something.
    And why would anything "go back" to the Old Republic? Frankly, I'm sick of prequels. I don't care how good the games or books or whatever was, the only way forward for SW is just that - forward. TFA was a retread which reignited the interest. If Episode VIII keeps going back, it will fail, and it wouldn't matter that it didn't go back to the "good stuff".

Complaining about the continued presence of the Empire/First Order/whatever form evil takes in the Star Wars films is pretty dumb.

The entire premise of the series is the ongoing battle between light and dark, good and evil. If everything "goes back to the old republic", meaning good guys have won the fight, then everything is over.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    It's not so much that evil exists at all, but that the villains of The Force Awakens are all but identical to the OT villains. Same dress, same ships, same goals, same Nazi allusion (only somehow even moreso).

The echoes are kinda neat when Kylo Ren is playing Darth Fanboy, less so when you realize the film never actually places you outside the context of [Dominant First Order / Scrappy Resistance], even though the wider context explains (mostly through spoken exposition) that the First Order is an insurgent movement against the much larger New Republic.

[It can't be an accident that the film tries desperately to show as little of the New Republic as possible; probably to keep the film's status quo intact, but also to avoid any comparison to the Old Republic of the PT.]

So in this macro story where the First Order is essentially a terrorist group that's built a big goddamn bomb, the film paints them with exactly the same sort of presentation given to the villains of the OT, who were in the exact opposite position.

I wouldn't say the film's lying, but it exaggerates and minimizes story details to make sure the new film feels just like the old ones.

PS: And making a New Republic doesn't implicitly mean it has to be just like the Old Republic.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 05-21-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    There is no "Empire", the First Order is basically Nazis on the Moon or something.
    And why would anything "go back" to the Old Republic? Frankly, I'm sick of prequels. I don't care how good the games or books or whatever was, the only way forward for SW is just that - forward. TFA was a retread which reignited the interest. If Episode VIII keeps going back, it will fail, and it wouldn't matter that it didn't go back to the "good stuff".
    I dont want prequels either. I was referring to the thousands of years / period of time where LIGHT ruled the galaxy.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

The entire premise of the series is the ongoing battle between light and dark, good and evil. If everything "goes back to the old republic", meaning good guys have won the fight, then everything is over.
    Huh? No. You don't need an Empire to have a Dark Side. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Metaphor

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast