Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

19 73.08%
  • Nay

7 26.92%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadpool (Tim Miller)

Haven't seen Deadpool, but I'm just always a little stunned when I hear praise for JW. There are so many more notable examples of cinematic violence. Anyway, sorry for the snark, though it seems fitting in this thread. Carry on.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Haven't seen Deadpool, but I'm just always a little stunned when I hear praise for JW. There are so many more notable examples of cinematic violence. Anyway, sorry for the snark, though it seems fitting in this thread. Carry on.
    No worries, would be really interested to read your thoughts on JW (maybe in the JW thread some day). Didn't find it exceptional on the whole either, but thought the action was done exceedingly well.

[/derail]
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Caught Deadpool this evening. Very enjoyable. I do wonder how it will hold up on repeats. While the nerd community is freaking out that they have a Deadpool in a movie, I was so happy to have MY mental Colossus. Every scene with him made me giggle with joy.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Oof. Finally saw this, and just.. pretty much everything 8, Morris, Winston, Stay Puft and DavidSeven said, but I'm even less confident in saying there's much in the way of good jokes sprinkled in it, since I think I couldn't have mustered up the energy to laugh at all more than.. I dunno, maybe three or four times after the opening credits (my favourite piece of the whole thing)? And even I think most of that was T.J. Miller to be honest.

When a movie is into itself this much, and clearly has such a shallow, uninteresting personality beyond that, there's no real wavelength for me to hop onto to get anything out of it. Plus from basic cinematography and setpiece standpoints, it just looks drab and awful, and other than the slightly inventive structure of its script it has absolutely nothing new to offer as many times as it might talk to the camera to try to convince you otherwise. Say what you will about Batman v Superman, but at least it tries for something of a style, looks very good most of the time, and commits to itself as a living, breathing movie. This was just like watching a shoddy, early 2000's superhero movie with a main character equivalent of Pop-Up Video coming in to make itself seem edgy.

Between this and Dawn of Justice, I'm really gonna need for Civil War and Apocalypse (or even Suicide Squad, though I'm less hopeful there) to be really satisfying to repair the endless void these two have dug in my superhero soul this weekend.

I'm not even exaggerating (and in the end, they are just varying levels of infuriating) when I say:

Batman v Superman > This.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 03-25-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)

Batman v Superman > This.
    Ohhhhhh nooo. I mean... no way.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Ohhhhhh nooo. I mean... no way.
    To me, Deadpool is like Kick-Ass (which I also really don't like) with even less capable or inventive direction.

At least BvS, for all its dopiness, is earnestly and even ambitiously so, not to mention cinematically dynamic from time to time (if in very surface-level ways).

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I would at least watch Deadpool again on a Sunday afternoon. I never want to watch BvS ever again.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Yeahhhh, about 50 minutes shorter, without the eye-rolling dourness, without dumb developments, and with its laughs at least kind of intentional, sound better to me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Kick Ass is utter bullshit, Deadpool is disposable fun, but BvS is simply insultingly bad.

I like Kick Ass a lot. Seems like a better combination of earnestness and crazy fun than Deadpool. Its characters feel more real to me, the movie is funny, but not forcibly so. It's not desperate to earn our laughs.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

In the end, to me:

Kick-Ass is detrimentally smarmy but mostly well-constructed. (+ Cage & Moretz are very good, especially together.)

Dawn of Justice is extremely sloppy but assuredly sticks to its storytelling guns (in usually visually/cinematically interesting ways).

Deadpool is both of those formers and neither of the latters.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 03-26-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Just watched this, and ultimately coming away with a positive view, although I think number8 et al brought up good points about the film's problems. Towards the end, I realized how completely uninterested I was in the villain ("a British guy" indeed) and in the action, but Reynolds' personality helped the Apatow-ian line-o-ramas feel organic to the characters, and the flick's structure mitigated its origin story mechanics much more than I expected. I can't envision rewatching this film the way I've watched and treasured flicks like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 (and The Dark Knight Rises (I know, I know)), but it sufficiently diverts. Flick needed more off-kilter Jed Rees.

I'm more interested in the implications of this film showing a $60 million R-rated superhero film can make profit and do things that other superhero flicks won't.

I mean, just like that, Adam McKay's gonna be directing Irredeemable, to which I say, "Heck yeah."

Anyway, Deadpool was probably better than Batman v. Superman, but I find the latter's overambitious, aloof dirge more fascinating.

Kick-Ass was worse than either.

One of the worst.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Finally saw this. I had a real good time. Morena Baccarin is hot. The end.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

This was verging on terrible but mostly just mediocre and lazy and feels like it was created in a focus group of immature males.

Saw this a while back. It's funny but the act wore thin towards the end. It could have been great. Ryan Reynolds was awesome, though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Funny and informative on the pre-production.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12