View Poll Results: Kung Fu Panda 3

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

4 80.00%
  • Nay

1 20.00%

Thread: Kung Fu Panda 3 (Alessandro Carloni, Jennifer Yuh)

Kung Fu Panda 3 (Alessandro Carloni, Jennifer Yuh)

KUNG FU PANDA 3

Directors: Alessandro Carloni, Jennifer Yuh

imdb

This was fantastic! It doesn't quite have the emotional weight behind it that the 2nd one did, but this is probably the coolest and most creative entry to this series yet. I may need to let it sit a bit, but as of now, this might actually be my favorite one. I dunno, it's between this and the 2nd, though I'd say this one was probably the all around more solid movie, and a great way to wrap up a trilogy that is so much better than it ever had any right to be.

Ultimately, I had to say nay because the comedy just isn't there a lot of the time. The film has beats where it feels like jokes should be, but the material isn't strong. That said, its visuals are its strong suit, with many sequences that looked gorgeous in 3D. And fortunately, the ending picks up a little bit. I thought this was a big time drop in quality from the last one, which was actually quite good.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Man, this series is just determined to waste Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan and David Cross. And they are running out of ideas for plots. Still, it looks pretty enough and is well-choreographed, and better than the last one. The most minor of yays.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Ultimately, I had to say nay because the comedy just isn't there a lot of the time. The film has beats where it feels like jokes should be, but the material isn't strong. That said, its visuals are its strong suit, with many sequences that looked gorgeous in 3D. And fortunately, the ending picks up a little bit. I thought this was a big time drop in quality from the last one, which was actually quite good.
    I have to agree with you that it's a step down from the sequel, but it's still a solid film. The plot feels recycled (Hasn't Po asked himself who he was enough times in this trilogy?), but I'm still going to applaud a franchise that doesn't resort to lowbrow humor and pop culture references. I love how pro gay-adoption this film. The film stands a great argument that two dads can raise a son. How cool is that in a children's film?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Kung Fu Panda 3.
    Jennifer Yuh Nelson and Alessandro Carloni, 2016.

What did I like? Visuals are cool as hell. As good or better than the other three. Bryan Cranston and J. K. Simmons!! Their trademark good action! Li and Ping at times looks like a gay couple which is both hilarious and a nice message.

What didn't I like? At times feels like a rehash from the first film, specially for the "Be Yoursefl" theme. I would've liked more exploration of, well, Po's dad being absent all that time and the pain it caused in both.

However, my main grip with the film, is that Kai is just not as compelling and interesting a villain as Tai Lung and Lord Shen, mainly for one reason... unlike the other two, none of our protagonists have a real, personal stake towards him, granted, he absorbed the Chi of Shify's master and all the other warriors, however, this is not the same as, say, being the bitter, adopted son of Shifu or the responsible of Po losing his parents. Also, his backstory is nowhere near as interesting as the ones from the other two villains, being essentially reduced to a villain only looking for more power, a shame given that a great actor like J. K. Simmons would've done wonders with a more interesting characters.

Final thoughts: Despite my criticisms, I still like the movie, however, it's nowhere near the previous two entries of the series.