Thread: Making a Murderer (Netflix/Season 1)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Making a Murderer (Netflix/Season 1)

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

On Episode 5.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It made me quite angry.

I stopped watching once I heard about all the things with held from the documentary.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I stopped watching once I heard about all the things with held from the documentary.
    Honestly, compared with what made it to the doco, the things left out feel like small potatoes, specially because none of them are enough to take out from how horribly Kratz and co managed Avery and specially Dassey's case horribly and to conclude that the reasonable doubt is so big that none of the two should've been incarcerated and that it's more likely than not that at least parts of the case against Avery were completely fabricated.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Honestly, compared with what made it to the doco, the things left out feel like small potatoes, specially because none of them are enough to take out from how horribly Kratz and co managed Avery and specially Dassey's case horribly and to conclude that the reasonable doubt is so big that none of the two should've been incarcerated and that it's more likely than not that at least parts of the case against Avery were completely fabricated.
    This is the thing. Some of those left-out bits of evidence should've been included, but the point of the doc isn't Avery's innocence/guilt but the corruption and judiciary pressures/faults that should've provoked a mistrial. The doc puts the system on trial, maaaan.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 01-15-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Even without the things that were left out, the series actually doesn't do a very good job arguing Avery's innocence. It doesn't even effectively provide any explanation for the evidence against him that the doc does mention. The series does, however, shows a complete lack of ethics on the cops' part in handling the case, and it really does make a great case for the investigation being tainted by vendetta.

Two things, though:

1. I've always seen documentaries as visual essays and should have a strong personal point of view and an agenda. They deserve to be refuted and criticized for the points they present just like any other op-ed, but this notion that I've read people are throwing at it saying documentaries should be fair and impartial is bull to me.

2. I'm both disturbed and fascinated by Avery's ex-fiancee's allegation that he threatened her to make him look good for the documentary.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Is there an article that talks about the things left out? (I'm only on episode 5)

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The series does, however, shows a complete lack of ethics on the cops' part in handling the case, and it really does make a great case for the investigation being tainted by vendetta.
    That's more than enough to prove Avery's innocence, at least legally speaking. We might not know if he actually did it, but that lack of ethics and the bungled investigation gives more than enough reasonable doubt to let him go. And even more, thanks to the terrible police work, we'll probably never know who killed Teresa Halbach.

Avery's lawyers are so good at their job.

Two weird conclusions from the show:

1. Avery never had a motive.

2. I didn't think I could ever dislike the spouse of a victim.

Whattt. Netflix just announced that there's going to be a second season and it's still going to be about Avery.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-r...ing-a-murderer

This next chapter will provide an in-depth look at the high-stakes post-conviction process, as well as, the emotional toll the process takes on all involved.

The episodes will offer exclusive access to Avery’s new lawyer Kathleen Zellner and Dassey’s legal team, led by Laura Nirider and Steve Drizin, as well as intimate access to the families and characters close to the case.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Will watch.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    GET THEM OUT! GET THEM OUT!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    That's fantastic, but watch the state refile just to be complete fucking assholes.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Loved the first season. Can't wait.