View Poll Results: The RevenantY

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

27 77.14%
  • Nay

8 22.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Revenant (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Hodge shan't be shot Kirby Avondale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    There's a shot in Aguirre: The Wrath of God where some drops of water get on the lens, but Herzog left it in because he didn't have the money to go back and reshoot it. Iñárittu having DiCapprio deliberately fog the lens for the sake of "realism" is just stupid.
    Not really concerned about the 'ism of it all, but I liked that part. It was an immersive, intimate moment that kinda trumped a lot of the flashy long-takes and the (sometimes funny) melodramatic miserabilism. Oboy, 'nother 'ism.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This was fucking awesome. Get over yourselves.

How was DiCaprio fogging the camera in any feasible way "for the sake of realism"? Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of realism?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

My candidate.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    How was DiCaprio fogging the camera in any feasible way "for the sake of realism"? Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of realism?
    Hence the quotation marks around "realism." Like deliberate lens flares and handheld camerawork, the fogged camera is supposed to make the movie feel like a documentary, as if the filmmakers were trying to capture a spontaneously unfolding event and couldn't go back and reshoot it.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

But that was more than just a little blood splattered on the lens or whatever. It was minutely planned that way. He almost completely fogged up the lens with his breath (cuz, you know, 'breath' is a key motif in the film), which was then mirrored in the following shot of the clouds. In terms of 'ism's it was impressionist, not realist. And totally beautiful. IMO. Had nothing to do with making the movie "feel like a documentary."
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    This was fucking awesome. Get over yourselves.

I dislike it the more I think about it. And having someone breathe on a camera lens because one main theme is to "keep breathing" (though of course, the entire film is predicated on an act of revenge, so that theme doesn't make much sense, but anyhow....) is trite beyond belief.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I love 8 and trans so much in this thread. Agree, agree, agree.

Don't worry, Joe, I got your back on this one!

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I dislike it the more I think about it. And having someone breathe on a camera lens because one main theme is to "keep breathing" (though of course, the entire film is predicated on an act of revenge, so that theme doesn't make much sense, but anyhow....) is trite beyond belief.
    Survival's a more fundamental theme than revenge, obviously, and the breath bits hinge on that. Not sure what you've been thinking about it then. Not sure why we should have to think all that much either. The film's tying the abstract stuff to something visceral. You can come at this one way and show a dude get brutally mauled by fake bear. And you can come at it another angle and take ten seconds to experience the delicate fucking nothing our existence hangs on.

The Revenant (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Quote Quoting Kirby Avondale (view post)
    Survival's a more fundamental theme than revenge, obviously, and the breath bits hinge on that. Not sure what you've been thinking about it then. Not sure why we should have to think all that much either. The film's tying the abstract stuff to something visceral. You can come at this one way and show a dude get brutally mauled by fake bear. And you can come at it another angle and take ten seconds to experience the delicate fucking nothing our existence hangs on.
    But it's survival for the sake of revenge, which renders the whole "survival" theme moot because there is a clear, direct, obvious goal to pursue, rather than just staying alive. And I would argue that "experiencing the delicate nothing our existence hangs on" and a film that shows the main character can pretty much survive anything are not compatible.

The film is an utter mess, from top to bottom. It's all surface braggadocio- we went out into the wilderness! We made those actors suffer! - with a bunch of "themes" jerryrigged in for the illusion of depth that the film does not earn.

EDIT: And, it's pretty hokey at its core. It has the cliche of the protagonist being nice to someone and then being spared later by that person's hitherto scary group/family, and yet again a "surprise" attack starts on the very person standing in front of the camera at the time so the audience can be jolted by a sudden arrow out of nowhere etc.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 02-12-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

That's a damn fine avatar you got there.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

But it's survival for the sake of revenge, which renders the whole "survival" theme moot because there is a clear, direct, obvious goal to pursue, rather than just staying alive. And I would argue that "experiencing the delicate nothing our existence hangs on" and a film that shows the main character can pretty much survive anything are not compatible.

The film is an utter mess, from top to bottom. It's all surface braggadocio- we went out into the wilderness! We made those actors suffer! - with a bunch of "themes" jerryrigged in for the illusion of depth that the film does not earn.
    I don't get this at all. Like, there has to be a one-track, monomaniacal goal for this to be a theme. Can we not walk and chew gum at the same time? Balls?! Regardless of other shit, survival and bare subsistence is a very clear thing in this movie, from all the breath stuff to the fat squirrel monologue to all that surviving. The fact that he survives all manner of catastrophes is pretty well beside the point. The scene at issue is a bare-bones display of the delicacy of life at the margins. Profundity isn't the appeal here, the experience is. You can drag in all the other movie, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'll be off riding a mother bear into the sun set, breathing heavily.

EDIT: And, it's pretty hokey at its core. It has the cliche of the protagonist being nice to someone and then being spared later by that person's hitherto scary group/family, and yet again a "surprise" attack starts on the very person standing in front of the camera at the time so the audience can be jolted by a sudden arrow out of nowhere etc.
    I didn't see much any point for the Indian subplot. But then again, I wasn't really talking about that or defending the film as a flawless masterwork.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    That's a damn fine avatar you got there.
    I found it myself. Yours too. Let's get a room, doll.

I didn't see much any point for the Indian subplot. But then again, I wasn't really talking about that or defending the film as a flawless masterwork.
    I feel like if the subplot hadn't been there it would have prompted criticisms that the film treated the native americans as non-entities like Hollywood films usually do. I thought the dichotomy between the whites and the natives was handled really well.

I'd give you more rep if the board would let me. trans is off his rocker, just not making any sense at all.

Search your feelings Milky, you know it to be true....
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Post-Titanic, I don't really think Leo grew into the parts he was playing until maybe around Inception. Good actor for sure, but his boyishness hurt his believability for a stretch. The exception being Catch Me If You Can, where that trait was an asset.
    He's really good in Man in the Iron Mask and Gangs of New York.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    He's really good in Man in the Iron Mask and Gangs of New York.
    Good movie, but hard for me to buy him as a hulked-out 19th century thug, especially in contrast to DDL's large looming turn as Bill the Butcher.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I liked this quite a bit. Despite its best attempts with Leo's flashbacks and visions, it lacks the profundity of a survival story like The Grey, but it has a compelling, raw simplicity, and it's a striking historical portrait of trappers as men living at the edge of existence. I entirely disagree with the criticisms of the cinematography, which I think brought something new to the survival genre by virtue of its sheer physical immediacy; the fogged lens worked well as part of that emphasis on physicality.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I voted Yay but I kind of regret it already. Herzog/Tarkovsky/Malick pretty much defines it for me. There are very literal quotations of those three filmmakers scattered throughout the bloated running time for this. Now, I didn't hate it, and I admit to gleefully enjoying the more bloody and violent bits (Saving Private Ryan with Indians, the bear attack and the closing knife fight) but Iñárritu is just too pretentious a filmmaker... He kills his own good moments IMHO by overstuffing his films and employing out-of-place directorial quirks. I didn't see any point to the Indian subplot either except maybe conforming to a PC policy of not having them in a film only as Stormtroopers.

Still, I'll take this Iñárritu over Babel's any day.

I've been trying to get into writing some reviews again, but I find it a pretty tough nut to crack putting thoughts down on the page. In general, I settle on a few basic ideas running through my head and go with that, oftentimes just sidelining into vaguely related topics, but mostly refraining from getting too specific as I often find that even spoiler-free reviews cover so much ground that pictures and a vague sort of coherence begins to form in my mind when I read them. Hopefully the writing's better than Harry Knowles. Anyhow, check it out if you like:

http://morefbiguys.blogspot.be/2016/...?view=magazine

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Lol!

"Pelts!"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I've been trying to get into writing some reviews again, but I find it a pretty tough nut to crack putting thoughts down on the page. In general, I settle on a few basic ideas running through my head and go with that, oftentimes just sidelining into vaguely related topics, but mostly refraining from getting too specific as I often find that even spoiler-free reviews cover so much ground that pictures and a vague sort of coherence begins to form in my mind when I read them. Hopefully the writing's better than Harry Knowles. Anyhow, check it out if you like:

http://morefbiguys.blogspot.be/2016/...?view=magazine

I have to admit I lunged past your Revenant review and went straight for Deadpool.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I have to admit I lunged past your Revenant review and went straight for Deadpool.
    That's cool!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]