View Poll Results: THE HATEFUL EIGHT

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

29 80.56%
  • Nay

7 19.44%

Thread: The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I also felt like it was his most angry, violent, and mean spirited film. It's absolutely fucking nasty in places. But again, I don't think this was superfluous or gratuitous. To me it feels like a very angry and nasty reaction to the angry and nasty times we are currently living in.
    See, I felt that it was kind of gratuitous. I think part of it is that his thesis is kind of underdeveloped, which could be because this is his first time making a political film.

[
    ]

There are other little throwaway things that seem kind of silly. Like why divide the bar into Philadelphia and Georgia if that's never going to be followed up on. It's a stupid, showy way of saying, "See, it's like Minnie's Haberdashery is a microcosm of postwar America, you know!?" which was already pretty clear.

[
    ]

I also don't understand what the point is. Like I get that he's commenting on extra-judicial killings and race relations, but to what end? It devolves into an orgy of violence and no point is ever made.

[
    ]

Not to mention Jennifer Jason Leigh serving more or less as a punching bag during the first half of the film almost exclusively for comic relief.

ETA: Just to clarify. I don't think the film is misogynist or racist, as some have claimed. I just don't think Quentin understands politics and history nearly as well as he understands movies, so the themes are half-assed and this stuff sticks out. It's more stupidity and ignorance than malice.

ETAA: And this is all in addition to the fact that the film feels overlong and lacks the rhythms and snappy dialogue most of us come to Tarantino films for in the first place.
    Last edited by ledfloyd; 01-04-2016 at 04:23 PM.