View Poll Results: Banta-Poeddoe or not?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

38 90.48%
  • Nay

4 9.52%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I just hope that she's not a reincarnation of Vader.
    Well she technically would be, except she would be the reciprocal of him, and therefore "the chosen one".
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My least favorite thing about ep7 is everyone obsessing on Reys family history. I hope shes nobody related.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I hope shes nobody related.
    That would be the most novel thing about The Force Awakens if true. Let's hope.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    So, Karina Longworth dates Rian Johnson. She was in England on set when they shot Episode VIII. A recent profile about her in The New York Times mentioned something about Rey, in passing:

[
    ]

I can't remember everyone who was in the prequel trilogy, but Adam Driver is the best actor ever brought into one of these movies, right? Or, at the very least, he delivers the best performance in the franchise?
    I really should have omitted the first question. It's a matter of the best performance, which is Driver's, rather than the best actor. The latter points toward an entirely different discussion and one where Driver's superiority would obviously be given decent challenges by von Sydow, Jackson, Guinness, and any others I'm forgetting.

To me it has always seemed too obvious for words that Harrison Ford gives the best performance throughout the franchise.

Yeah, I can certainly see how he would be deserving of that title. I've only watched TFA and the OT once, so I'd like to go back and reappraise their respective contributions. I can share my initial impressions, though:

I don't recall having any major complaints about Ford, really, but I'd be fibbing if I were to say I wasn't more impressed by Driver's outsized histrionics. I like how Driver spewed out so much of Kylo's inner fracas — his whipsawed interiority — without sacrificing credibility or pathos. What he offers in both TFA and Girls is totally stylized and finessed, but it's all underwritten by such erratic and sincere energies. He's really fascinating to watch from moment to moment.

Ford's performance also stuns, but in a different way. My gut feeling is that it's not equivalent to Driver's effort in terms of quality and skill. I guess that's a blasphemous claim. Ford sometimes awkwardly lunges into a line or a grimace, and there's a cartoonish edge to a lot of his gyrations and deliveries (I realize the same could be said for Driver, but there is a distinction). Of course, a lot of that is kind of indistinguishable from the very point and charm of the character/performance, even if some of the choices just scan as awkward. Driver, meanwhile, seems like he's biting off a lot more. He keeps simmering in new ways throughout the film.

I guess I fell for the flashier and more emotionally ostentatious performance, but also the performative muscle needed to actually pull it off.

I wouldn't say I have been "stunned" by any single performance in any of the Star Wars movies. The performances range from roguish (Ford, Billy Dee Williams) to solid (McGregor, Guiness, Ridley, Driver, Boyega, Lee) to bored/soporific (Neeson, Jackson, Portman, Isaac) to amateur (Hamill in ANH, Lloyd, Morrison and son as Jango and Boba) to abysmal (Christensen, Gleeson and Fisher in TFA).
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I wouldn't say I have been "stunned" by any single performance in any of the Star Wars movies. The performances range from roguish (Ford, Billy Dee Williams) to solid (McGregor, Guiness, Ridley, Driver, Boyega, Lee) to bored/soporific (Neeson, Jackson, Portman, Isaac) to amateur (Hamill in ANH, Lloyd, Morrison and son as Jango and Boba) to abysmal (Christensen, Gleeson and Fisher in TFA).
    This perfectly sums it up. I couldn't' agree more.

There are about 2 or 3 scenes in all 7 movies that resonate with me on a believable acting/emotional level- and everything else is rolled up into trans's summary above:

1. "That boy is our last hope..." "No... there is another!" -And this came from a freakin puppet!

2. "I love you" ... "I know" -One of the best ad libbed lines ever, which you gotta give credit to Ford here.. the original line was "I love you too" written by Lucas. And Ford went to him and said: "I'm not sure Han would respond that way"

3. Han's reaction to finding out Luke was Leia's brother at the end of RotJ. And most of that wasn't even dialog.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

"IT'S A TRAP" gives me a member berries boner anytime I rewatch it. Emphasis on member.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Whoa cool. The original title was going to be "Shadow of the Empire" Not to be confused with Shadows of the Empire.
    FALSE!

It was originally going to be titled Shadows of the Sith and not a movie at all. A video game!

A scene/bit that always resonated with me is in the first, when Luke refers to "Obi Wan Kenobi", and Obi Wan (who we knew as "Ben" up to that point) has that staggering moment of hearing that name for the first time in years.

Still gives me shivers.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Oh shit this is an awesome scene.

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

WHYYYYY wasnt that in?? Dammit

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    WHYYYYY wasnt that in?? Dammit
    Kid nightmares?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Kid nightmares?
    A New Hope had the same thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    A New Hope had the same thing.
    Not nearly as graphic.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Well, more graphic.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Happened in Empire too.

Edit: TWICE!

You guys are silly. Light-saber limb chops are not the same as pulling an arm out of the socket and ripping it completely off.

Also, the scene wouldn't be a revisit of the limb chop either- it's a reference to Han Solo talking to 3PO when they are playing that chess game.

But of course you guys already knew that.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Glad they cut it. The flick didn't need more nods, and Unkar's best left on Tatooine.

EDIT: Jakku. So strange I'd confuse the two.

This is such a better opening than what we were given with Poe. You don't need to jump directly into dialog. Let the visuals set the tone......

That’s kind of a visually neat scene, but I’m not sure that it would add much of anything to the movie.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    That’s kind of a visually neat scene, but I’m not sure that it would add much of anything to the movie.
    I dunno though. They were hoping Battlefront would tell more of the story of what happened at Jakuu. I think it's an interested way to introduce Jakuu as a junkyard. But you're right, it can probably be figured out by Rey's first scene. I just hated the way Force Awakens cold opens with Poe and the Troopers showing up.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast