View Poll Results: Banta-Poeddoe or not?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

38 90.48%
  • Nay

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This is very good, hugely entertaining, not devoid of powerful moments, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are very convincing, Ford is indeed in fine form as Han Solo, BB-2 is the good side of cute, but but but I'm having trouble getting over how similar this feels compared to A New Hope. Nonetheless, even that can be defended. I mean, compared to 30 years ago we're stilll driving cars except they've been perfected, become sleeker, more powerful, it stands to reason that people build upon that which came before and so it feels in Star Wars The Force Awakens. The space battles lack the purpose and climactic feel of the original trilogy, some plot developments, while pretty fucking shocking, feel like they've been carelessly chucked in there because Abrams felt he wanted to have some of that too, because hey, the old trilogy had that too! Still, that gets redeemed quite a bit later on in a rather emotionally gripping sequence. The final shot is really outstanding.

One moment where one of the characters uses force powers to escape was funny, but felt unearned. With Obi-Wan you know there was training and experience beforehand and thus you accept it. Here it felt almost like a spoof rather than something which awes us.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

This was basically A New Hope Reloaded.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

The first half is significantly better than the second half, which flattens into a dull retread of A New Hope with larger but less coherent action scenes. Before that, I was right on board with the introduction of the new characters and the character beats they are given; it's a deft mix of humor and place setting. The acting is much better than anything in ANH (except Gleason, who is terrible) with Driver in particular doing well with a more complicated take on Darth Vader. But man, does it ever end up taking all these great ingredients and creating a flavorless retread of previous glories in the second half.

I think the sequel holds a lot of promise now that the self-conscious fan service has been covered....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I ain't reading none o' this 'til I see it Saturday.

Read the first line of your posts before thinking, "Nope!".... but I'm sure they're good thoughts.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

All 4 of the new main characters are really good. Needed a lot more of Isaac and Boyega together.

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015)

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    All 4 of the new main characters are really good. Needed a lot more of Isaac and Boyega together.
    Didn't like what they did with Isaac's character story-wise.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 12-18-2015 at 02:37 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I don't think you guys can understand what a big deal it is for me to see Indonesian actors in a real STAR WARS movie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Didn't like what they did with Isaac's character story-wise.
    The reveal landed so softly I thought they all just got bored with the whole thing.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Again, like at Mockingjay, I find myself a bit surprised by the turnout. The theater was only about 2/3 full, if that. Hrm. :/

As for the movie, I'm gonna have to let it sit. There are certainly aspects that I really liked, and Rey could very well end up being my new favorite Star Wars character. But on the whole I'm not particularly blown away by it. Hmmm...
    Last edited by TGM; 12-18-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The first half is significantly better than the second half, which flattens into a dull retread of A New Hope with larger but less coherent action scenes. Before that, I was right on board with the introduction of the new characters and the character beats they are given; it's a deft mix of humor and place setting. The acting is much better than anything in ANH (except Gleason, who is terrible) with Driver in particular doing well with a more complicated take on Darth Vader. But man, does it ever end up taking all these great ingredients and creating a flavorless retread of previous glories in the second half.
    Interesting because I pegged it as a retread right away. The first half I thought was even more beat for beat following ANH, with Kylo's introduction matching Vader's and the important resistance information stored in a wayward droid found by a peasant. The second half actually mixed in some Empire that alleviated the remake feeling a bit.

The casting definitely did most of the heavy lifting in making it feel fresh. All cynicism I kept holding onto even right through the opening crawl disappeared completely as soon as Poe and Finn started interacting. This exchange happened:

"Good to meet you, Finn."
    "Good to meet you, Poe."

Aaaaaand I'm all in.

I think the sequel holds a lot of promise now that the self-conscious fan service has been covered....
    Definitely true.
    Movie Theater Diary

For those that have seen it, how come [
    ]

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Having slept on it, I DO very much like this movie, but pretty much all of its glaring flaws stem from its over-familiarity with A New Hope. Sorta like how Into Darkness felt like it was more interesting in recreating Wrath of Kahn as opposed to telling a new movie, this one, too, feels more worried about throwing in references than it does in telling a whole new compelling story, which actually started to make me groan at points. That said, the cast very much DOES make this movie work, but I'm not sure Abrams was the right man for the job after all.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Having slept on it, I DO very much like this movie, but pretty much all of its glaring flaws stem from its over-familiarity with A New Hope. Sorta like how Into Darkness felt like it was more interesting in recreating Wrath of Kahn as opposed to telling a new movie, this one, too, feels more worried about throwing in references than it does in telling a whole new compelling story, which actually started to make me groan at points. That said, the cast very much DOES make this movie work, but I'm not sure Abrams was the right man for the job after all.
    I feel very confident giving this a ***½, but that does have somewhat to do with the fact that I've become more lenient, more aware of a general decrease in quality of major tentpole movies. I think this movie has an edge, something extra, a real heart, it's not an empty spectacle, but you are right about the bit I've bolded. The problem I think is actually even bigger than that. [
    ]

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

- - - - -
    HOT DAMN THAT DAISY RIDLEY. FUCK EVERYONE ELSE. JUST MAKE MOVIES ABOUT HER CHARACTER.

I agree with what everyone said so far. A lot of this plays like highly polished Star Wars fan fiction. They were shameless about it, and I think in the long run that hurts the film. Every time there was a chance for this movie to distinguish itself, it falls back to fan service.

That leads to a secondary problem: There are too many characters, and a lot of them overlap narratively. All of the new people are badly established and given very little context. What context they do have (Ridley is waiting for her family, Boyega is a traitor), doesn't really seem to matter. There isn't a clear protagonist either, which I guess matters less because there isn't a clearly defined story.

I loved the first hour or so, mostly because of Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac. Every time they were on screen it was tons of fun. When Solo showed up, I feel like they just tossed the script out the window and relied waaaaay too heavily on Harrison Ford's star power and the fan love of that character. It wasn't long before I began to actively began to resent his presence. Fuck Han Solo, I want to know more about Rey and Finn.

Favorite part: On that first planet, when Boyega moves to rescue Ridley, and then stops because he realizes that she doesn't need rescuing. The follow up was priceless -- "What are you doing? Let go of my hand!"

Weirdest part: Kylo Ren and some rando stormtrooper both yell "TRAITOR!" at Boyega like they're really pissed at him for running away. Guys, he was the fucking janitor. The guy who cleaned your toilet quit his job. Get over it.

The last hour was so much duller than the first, but that last shot --- man, I almost stood up in the theater and yelled, FUCK YEAH LUKE!

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    HOT DAMN THAT DAISY RIDLEY. FUCK EVERYONE ELSE. JUST MAKE MOVIES ABOUT HER
    This, so much!

Wait. What? What was I right about?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Wait. What? What was I right about?
    [
    ]

This, so much!
    She's great, but I started to get distracted after a while by how much she looks like the lovechild of Keira Knightley and Jude Law.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Geez, this won't earn any marks for innovation, that's for sure. But the cast is what makes it soar when it does. Really, if young dudes don't come out of the theater pining for assured, strong, resourceful, gorgeous Rey, they broken, yo. Also, when so much of the movie has such tremendous physical presence, Supreme Leader Snoke looked awkward by comparison (although Maz was much better as far as that sort of thing goes). Loved the erratic energy that Boyega brought. The snappy dialogue and "let's keep this thing moving" pace was appreciated. Good lord, Gleeson was turned up to 11 for that speech. I will say, though, that I walked out absolutely restless to see where it goes next, so that's a success.

EDIT: Also, what the fuck, Leia is a toadstool--not helped, either, by the way they shot her.
    Last edited by Wryan; 12-19-2015 at 02:23 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Also, I have to wonder what George was thinking while he was watching this.

Probably, "What the fuck, guys?"
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

[
    ]
    Last edited by Wryan; 12-19-2015 at 03:40 AM.

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Meh. Reluctant Yay. Seriously the retreads are getting so old with J.J.

I mean, Okay... it's great that we have new characters to play with. But when your villain is just another Vadar, and your super weapon is just a bigger Death Star, and your master mind is just another Emperor ..("OOh lets rename him supreme leader!") It's just the same movie over and over again.

I'm guessing we'll find out who Rey's parents are eventually. BUt did anyone else find it odd she went from just hearing stories of "Luke SKywalker" and the "force".... to using every aspect of the force across 2 scenes. (which took MASTER Luke 3 movies to accomplish)???

Gwendoline Christie, completely underused. Why bother with that casting.

Leia looked awful. Plastic surgery right? Jesus Carrie just age normally. Ford looked great.

Best part of the movie for me: Mention of the Jedi Temple which was a huge story-line in the KOTOR and Dark Forces games.

Going to bed. Will sleep on it. But I wasn't really all that impressed and it didn't leave me wanting to run out and see it again.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 12-19-2015 at 05:45 AM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Also the ending musical credits should have started right when Luke removed his cloak. There should have been no other scenes involving lightsabers or cameras panning around from a helicopter. Luke should have sensed her coming and known shy she was there.

/closed circle fade to credits

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    Needed a whole lot more of everyone together. I hate them being apart! Isaac was basically removed from the entire major plotline.

Funniest moment: BB8 giving the thumbs up?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast