Thread: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Nov, 2016)

- - - - -

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Nov, 2016)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I mean... I find it really hard to care about this.

As someone who was the same age as Harry at the time of Philosopher's Stone's film release, and even still hold those first Columbus movies fairly dearly to the point that I'm sure if I rewatched them now my nostalgia for them would mute any real criticisms (the same thing with his Mrs. Doubtfire and especially his Home Alone movies, to be honest), and liked or loved every other movie along the way (except for the fairly inert Goblet), I just have no emotional attachment to this.

Even with (or because of) Rowling writing it and it still being directed by Yates, who obviously was second to Cuarón as a director of the franchise, and arguably did even better with it as he made four times as many films and basically steered the whole thing on track til the end after Newell's Goblet (oddly the only one of the franchise I didn't see in theatres); It comes of as second-or-lower tier material.

It just feels like Jackson going back for The Hobbit. What's the best case scenario here?
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 12-15-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

So JK Rowling has confirmed that they plan to make 5 Fantastic Beasts movies. Man, and I thought dragging The Hobbit out into 3 movies was bad. :/

Producer
    I am not feeling much excitement for this, but really, she has to thought a whole new story for this film, so it's not exactly dragging anyway. And the last time she planned ahead, we got Harry Potter, which is nothing if not reasonably well-planned and -plotted out. I am cautiously optimistic if she's involved.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

More like "Fantastic Trailers and Where to Find Them," am I right?! As in, here's one right here — look no further!

[
    ]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    So JK Rowling has confirmed that they plan to make 5 Fantastic Beasts movies. Man, and I thought dragging The Hobbit out into 3 movies was bad. :/
    Cha-CHING!!!!!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This was... pretty damn good. I think I liked it more than almost any other Potterverse movie - it had a tighter script than any of those in any case.
    I liked the performances, I liked how... mature it was. There was some pretty far out creepy and scary stuff that I don't think I'd take younger kids too.
    The visuals are awesome, looked great in 3D... So yeah, go see this, guys. Especially if you have any interest in the universe.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Hmmm.. Interesting. I saw it too and I'm just about to make a thread for it. I might not type up thoughts tonight, but I'm definitely not on the same wavelength with it.

I will say I did not see it in 3D (it was 2D IMAX), but I could tell which moments I would've like most in it.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I should point out that I have no attachment to the Potter books, though.