Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It would indeed be interesting if the Hound came back. I loved that guy.

Snow and the Hound back from the dead in the same season?

Hm. Would that not start making GoT feel like DC/Marvel with all these deaths that don't stick? Seems risky to undermine the one card you're willing to play over and over (taking out beloved characters) for emotional weight.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Snow and the Hound back from the dead in the same season?

Hm. Would that not start making GoT feel like DC/Marvel with all these deaths that don't stick? Seems risky to undermine the one card you're willing to play over and over (taking out beloved characters) for emotional weight.
    Or [
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Or [
    ]
    I mean, as crazy as this sounds, you have to wonder where they are going with setting up the fact that Bran seems to be able to make at least some ripples when he is observing the past. Can he influence it? Change it?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    well there was one death in the book that never came back in the show so you know it was already sorta a thing.

Re-watching the 3rd season and picked up this line of dialogue spoken by Melisandre to Arya that has new meaning now:

[
    ]

I hadn't remembered this exchange. And now I wonder if she is referring to specific people? Or just a wide group of people?

It also may be a hint as to where Melisandre is going next. Or perhaps Arya.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

My thought behind it is that of course Cersei will pick Sir Gregor to be her opponent.

What if The Sparrows then picked Jaime to represent them in the fight? If Jaime wins, saving himself, he would in a way, be killing off his sister, fulfilling the prophecy, right?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Maybe the Khal Drogo are just that dumb as we discussed, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Maybe the Khal Drogo are just that dumb as we discussed, lol.
    It's a wonder none of them ever drunkenly fell backwards while fucking and knocked over those torches.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's a wonder none of them ever drunkenly fell backwards while fucking and knocked over those torches.
    Yeah, maybe soaking the sawdust floor with kerosene wasn't the best idea, either.

Good episode. Huisman's accent was all over the place but his facial hair was on point as always, so.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yeah, maybe soaking the sawdust floor with kerosene wasn't the best idea, either.
    I think the oil was from the bowl she tipped over.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think the oil was from the bowl she tipped over.
    I was wondering if Jorah and Daario had a hand in prepping the trap. But, if so, they didn't really make it explicit and I'm not sure how they would have accessed the area anyway.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone is going to notice that Meryn Trant hasn't been filling out his timesheet.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

This was by far my favorite part of the episode:

Movie Theater Diary

That whole scene had a very B-movie feel to it. It was kind of cheaply shot and edited.

Great episode, though.

Yes, great episode indeed.

Really liked the handling of the three brother/sister reunions. Always neat how the creators seem to unify the episodes in some form.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The first reunion was undeniably moving. But I think the Greyjoys had the best scene of the episode. Gemma Whalen is so damn good.

A lot of the other scenes seemed kind of flat to me. Lots of getting from point A to point B without much in the way of witty repartee.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Producer
    I rarely get emotional at Game of Thrones (the last time was maybe The Red Wedding), but the Sansa/Jon reunion got me. Pretty unexpected (early in the episode and I resigned last episode that they would just barely miss each other), and so much historical/emotional weight.

If they are moving towards the endgame (as we might have two more seasons after this), I guess we will finally see some real development on Dany heading to Westeros by the end of this season at the latest? Now she has a Dothraki army.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Also, I was expecting Jon's letter to end with "Anyway please respond. XOXO, Ramsay."
    Movie Theater Diary

And it was fairly easy to anticipate this week's big death. The most dangerous thing you can do in Westeros is to complete your narrative arc
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Ramsay's body count of people who underestimate him when they clearly should know better grows yet again. Right now even if he dies a death ten times as horrible as all of those on the show put together, it still wouldn't make up for what I keep feeling is ruining the entire season for me.

EDIT: Also, Daenerys carpet-bombs another ancient culture with dragon-democracy... Her party trick is taking her way too far.
    Last edited by [ETM]; 05-16-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Ramsay's body count of people who underestimate him when they clearly should know better grows yet again. Right now even if he dies a death ten times as horrible as all of those on the show put together, it still wouldn't make up for what I keep feeling is ruining the entire season for me.

EDIT: Also, Daenerys carpet-bombs another ancient culture with dragon-democracy... Her party trick is taking her way too far.
    I know it's not new to Dany's story, but there's still something that I found really really unsettling about the image of a bunch of brown people bowing down to a white leader offering their subservience.

It is fairly funny how he's a late comer to the show yet he surpasses almost everyone else's body count. But I don't see how his killing spree could "ruin" the season for you. I liked Osha a great deal too but they are obviously building his villainy to absurd levels for his battle against Jon Snow.

His whole story is just way, WAY dumber than anything Martin himself had written. I don't think building him up as a villain is needed at all, and hasn't been in quite a while. I fully expected the writers to off a few characters in the Vale plot line this week, and the way they're going, I'm surprised many of those alive are still standing right now. Now, I never complained about any of the stuff Martin wrote way back, but it irks me now that they're obviously making it up as they go (and no, I don't think Martin went into anything but the broad main story plot points for the rest of the story) as the slaughter gets dumber and dumber and increasingly pointless. I love the GoT writeup on The Verge (of all places) in their weekly fantasy game post, because they nailed it when it comes to Ramsay: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/16/11...f-the-stranger

[
    ]

I want Sansa to kill him.

Barring that, Brienne should take him out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast