Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Hahahah I must have missed that somehow then. That's indeed brilliant.

Starting with Season 5 I've been watching Game of Thrones with friends, cooking great dinners and drinking wine. It's a great anti-Sunday plan.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-26-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    By the way, IIRC, the Dothraki now plan to confine Danerys to a sort of monastery, right?
    The widows of Khals are supposed to live out the rest of their lives amongst the Dosh khaleen, which is a bunch of old crones in the Dothraki capital that are leaders and seers. Remember in Season 1 when Daenerys had to go eat the heart to prove her suitability to carry Drogo's child? She was being presented to the Dosh khaleen.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    They did. Here's the full exchange:

Khal: Seeing a beautiful woman naked for the first time... What is better than that?
    Dothraki #1: Killing another Khal.
    Khal: ...Yes, killing another Khal.
    Dothraki #2: Conquering a city and taking her people as slaves and taking her idols back to Vaes Dothrak.
    Dothraki #1: Breaking a wild horse and forcing it to submit to your will.
    Khal: Seeing a beautiful woman naked for the first time is among the five best things in life!

Anyway, I found that a very History of the World-ish joke.
    Very funny scene. It also brought to mind Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition scene. And it was a nice way to take the edge off another scene with the lingering threat of sexual assault.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I like the implication that the Dothraki are kind of morons. It makes it more believable that she can just say "btw I'm Drogo's wife" and they're immediately "oh my bad no rape then."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Eh, I don't think they're morons, just tribal people.

Presumably they'd heard of Khal Drogo before. They might even have heard that his widow went missing. He was established as a big shot in Season 1.

I like the implication that the Dothraki are kind of morons. It makes it more believable that she can just say "btw I'm Drogo's wife" and they're immediately "oh my bad no rape then."
    Yeah, this was one of the worse written pieces I've seen that it was quite laughable. The earlier part about taming a wild horse was effectively funny. Here was just to be able to transition from A to B on the map for Daenerys easier.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Presumably they'd heard of Khal Drogo before. They might even have heard that his widow went missing. He was established as a big shot in Season 1.
    What's moronic is not the fact that he does an about-face, it's that they just believed her immediately. Like, the Khal didn't even have any suspicion at all; he just went "Oh shit, a Khaleesi" in an instant. Maybe we can be generous and assume that Dany's the first person in however many years since Drogo's death to actually try to make the claim, but it still comes across conveniently silly to me how fast that scene turned.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

What's moronic is not the fact that he does an about-face, it's that they just believed her immediately. Like, the Khal didn't even have any suspicion at all; he just went "Oh shit, a Khaleesi" in an instant. Maybe we can be generous and assume that Dany's the first person in however many years since Drogo's death to actually try to make the claim, but it still comes across conveniently silly to me how fast that scene turned.
    Fair enough. Maybe (I haven't read the novels) the Dothraki language is just too rare to be learned outside of the community. They seem primitive enough not to have it in written form.

Yeah, that was my interpretation. That it was her mastery of the language that caused them to believe her.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, that was my interpretation. That it was her mastery of the language that caused them to believe her.
    Plus, how many blonde Khaleesi's are out there? That combined with her knowledge of the language are a pretty convincing.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I thought it was kind of interesting that the Dothraki did not give a flying crap about her own titles and accomplishments (which; I love Daenerys but that list is getting to be a mouthful, consider an edit) but are brought up short by her connection to a powerful man. It's very... Dothraki.
    ...and the milk's in me.

If I recall, I think she mentioned "blahblah Khaleesi blah" during her rattling off of titles, but this didn't seem to register until she specifically said she was the widow of Khal Drogo. So, yeah...maybe they are stupid (or just stopped paying attention to her laundry list of names).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    If I recall, I think she mentioned "blahblah Khaleesi blah" during her rattling off of titles, but this didn't seem to register until she specifically said she was the widow of Khal Drogo. So, yeah...maybe they are stupid (or just stopped paying attention to her laundry list of names).
    She did. She mentioned Queen several times. The translation was weird though. The first two Khaleesi's translated to Queen and the third translated to Khaleesi.
    Whatever.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well, that's because "Khaleesi" is the actual Dothraki word for "queen", not a title. So she said "queen (khaleesi) of this", "queen (khaleesi) of the other" and when she came to her Dothraki queendom I assume they just left it untranslated.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Khaleesi is the Dothraki word for queen, so being a khaleesi doesn't necessarily mean you're a Dothraki queen.

But then again...

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    She did. She mentioned Queen several times. The translation was weird though. The first two Khaleesi's translated to Queen and the third translated to Khaleesi.
    Whatever.
    It's because the first two times, she's referring to being a queen of other people (Mereen, Andals and the First Men) so it's just a translation, while in the third she's specifically saying she's a Khaleesi of the Dothraki sea. So yeah, point stands that they should've realized that she's a Khal's wife when she mentioned the great green sea. Khal Before Picture was probably just thinking of her naked and not paying attention.
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, I'm stealing that.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

HA!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well done. It sure kept me waiting for the cut to black to happen with NOTHING.

However, the standout still remains Ramsay Snow as probably the most villanious character I may have ever seen in any medium.

And what is The Mountain called now anyway? Can't wait to see him (it?) cut loose.

And totally glanced over the dragons.

Not a dry spot in the episode really, and that even includes Bran Stark lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Amazing episode. Just amazing.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I want to see a spinoff show where Tyrion picks up a job as a dragon whisperer.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Funniest line:

[
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

It's getting more ridiculous each time with senseless and mind blowingly dumb deaths. This episode is one of the worst offenders. So, so stupid.

I completely forgot about Theon's sister trying to save him. Where has that story line been?

BTW, I'm impressed by all the people here watching this show live instead of DVR (HBOgo). It might be a record.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast