Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Targaryen or not, I think Tyrion is going to ride one of those dragons eventually. He's talked about how much he wanted one as a boy. I imagine it will be his re-entrance into King's Landing. Not sure who will ride the third. Maybe Bran?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Also, since apparently I'm feeling pedantic today, warging has nothing to do with being a Stark or having Stark blood. Not sure where duke got that idea.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also, since apparently I'm feeling pedantic today, warging has nothing to do with being a Stark or having Stark blood. Not sure where duke got that idea.
    Just part of my theory I made up.
    fire = dragons
    ice = warging

R(fire) + L(ice) = J(fire & ice) = Super King
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What a great season.

Closed with probably the two most technically accomplished episodes of the entire run. Although there was far less scale here than "Battle of the Bastards," this one felt even more complicated in its precision, its ability to strike the right visual notes. That short sequence with Tommen, handled so simply and relatively uneventful, will go down as one of the most memorable moments in the series for me. The direction here elevated the characters (those that remain) to heights that have only been suggested in the past. The Stark sisters, after six years, finally starting to feel like real players and not former child actors in above their heads. Lena Headey, probably the show's most charismatic actor, returning to her wine-drinking, "fuck y'all haters" glory after being wasted in mourning or a literal cell for two straight years. The plot has accelerated quickly, but I've long felt they needed to bring these threads together sooner rather than later.

Good stuff. Hope they can build on this momentum.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 06-28-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Everything has been building to a Hot Pie/Lady Mormont conquest.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

A note about the Varys teleportation thing - something I missed as well.

In the wide shot of the fleet, there are boats with the Martell sigil on their sails. My guess? He brought the Martell ships with him and they met mid-sea. Either that or that wide shot is after they sailed from Dorne.

Either way, the showrunners have said they felt the need to compress the travel to help advance storylines. And I understand the need for that.

(And yeah, after watching it multiple times and letting it marinate, I think last night's episode is up there with any hour of TV I've ever watched. The score, the cinematography, the acting, everything. Stunning)

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    In the wide shot of the fleet, there are boats with the Martell sigil on their sails. My guess? He brought the Martell ships with him and they met mid-sea. Either that or that wide shot is after they sailed from Dorne.
    Hmmm ... good point. That would make a lot more sense. I guess we'll have to see where they end up at the beginning of next season.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

As a whole, how long do you think Season 6 was in years?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    As a whole, how long do you think Season 6 was in years?
    Good question.

I just started watching the first season, and it is mentioned that it takes a month to ride from King's Landing to Winterfell.

So there's a reference for you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

By far the best VFX in any TV show right? I mean. Damn.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, after these last two episodes, reading articles about Vinyl's cancellation stating its season budget was $100 million, my first question was: "HOW?"

Which of course led to my second: "HOW MUCH DID SEASON 6 OF THIS COST"
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

It's the best show on television so I would expect it to have the biggest budget. I just wonder how HBO is making money off it.

You do it by having whole countries represented by one room for several episodes. Dorne the last couple of seasons have been like the same porch.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Very good season. I probably liked "Hardhome" better than "Battle of the Bastards" overall, but it's still great. I have to stop reading message boards, though, when these seasons are upon us. The various theories get teased out and refined the closer we get to the end of the season, and all the chatter undercuts some of the impact when I sit there and say, "Ah! That thing lots of people have speculated about just happened....yup, sounds right....just like they said...........nice." Plus, ever since the Red Wedding, it's hard for the show to have the same surprise anymore. People have been trained to expect the crazy, which in a way braces you for it rather than truly surprises you. But the actual act of watching it is still exciting, so it's got that going for it. Some issues this season with Arya's storyline and Dorne (dafuck) notwithstanding, I had a great time. Liam Cunningham has been spectacular in every single one of his scenes throughout the show's run. Davos is in a neck and neck and neck run with Tywin and Brienne as my favorite characters; sure, I love Olenna to pieces, but she's an easy character to love. I'm quite curious to see how it all comes together, though, even if some of the major plot lines seem sort of predetermined at this point. I do wonder if it's got any more major surprises in store unrelated to someone dying you didn't expect.

EDIT: Also, much as I love Jonathan Pryce, did anyone else feel like this was the kind of role he can do (and do well) in his sleep? His face in his last moments was like the most chaotic energy he's shown his entire run. He knew it was upon him, and no matter his sermons about being ready to face the gods, you could still see the outrage and panic for a moment. Beautifully done.
    Last edited by Wryan; 06-29-2016 at 06:22 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's the best show on television so I would expect it to have the biggest budget. I just wonder how HBO is making money off it.
    I'd guess a big percentage of HBO's subscribers justify the cost of their subscription based on Game of Thrones alone. That's probably tens of millions of people, and given that each pays over $100/year in subscription fees, I'm guessing the show makes a lot more money for HBO than it costs to make. Like a lot. Not to mention the merchandising they likely get a piece of. Probably hard to quantify, though.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

The merchandising for Game of Thrones is probably close to Star Wars-type of levels at this point. Has to be the most successful for all HBO shows by a huge margin.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh wow, they've already announced the directors for Season 7:

Quote Quoting /Film
    • Alan Taylor directed the ninth episode of season one — a.k.a. The One Where Ned Stark Dies — and returned for episode ten. He came back again to direct four episodes in season two, but he hasn’t worked on the show since as he’s been busy making Thor: The Dark World and Terminator Genisys.
    • Jeremy Podeswa directed two episodes of season five, earning an Emmy nomination for the controversial “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.” He returned for the first two episodes of season six.
    • Mark Mylod has also directed four episodes of Game of Thrones, two in season five and two in season six. Those include the one that introduced Lyanna Mormont, the secret MVP of season six.
    • Matt Shakman is new to Game of Thrones, but he’s a TV vet whose credits include Mad Men, Fargo, [39 episodes of] It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, You’re the Worst, and The Good Wife.
    If they're sticking to their "two episodes per director" deal then we're expectedly in the 8 episode range.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 06-30-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

One thing I'm realizing after watching the first season again, is Bran never remembered who pushed him out of the window. I wonder if his powers will show him this.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    One thing I'm realizing after watching the first season again, is Bran never remembered who pushed him out of the window. I wonder if his powers will show him this.
    Oh absolutely. It was definitely one of his flashes went he was deep in it post-Hodor.

Also, Duke, since you probably have the first episode handy, make note of who of the Stark family Robert makes physical contact with in their initial welcoming. Saw someone mention it online and verified it this morning. Kinda blew me away, coincidence or not.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Oh absolutely. It was definitely one of his flashes went he was deep in it post-Hodor.

Also, Duke, since you probably have the first episode handy, make note of who of the Stark family Robert makes physical contact with in their initial welcoming. Saw someone mention it online and verified it this morning. Kinda blew me away, coincidence or not.
    I don't get it?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I don't get it?
    Ned, Cat, Robb, Rickon, and what they have in common.

[]

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I didn't notice that was a thing, but I'm noticing a lot of expositional dialog through the first three episodes.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Ned, Cat, Robb, Rickon, and what they have in common.

[]
    Perhaps. Would've been really odd if he went in the right order of deaths.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Now, I wonder if Bran will have the ability to warg into one of the dragons - perhaps that will make him the third "rider"?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Now, I wonder if Bran will have the ability to warg into one of the dragons - perhaps that will make him the third "rider"?
    Love this theory because it implies since there are three dragons there must be three riders.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast