Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

That's the most satisfying hour of television I've watched in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I expected a big battle episode and went to watch it in a bar with a crowd. It was the perfect atmosphere.

Kinda funny that on the walk to the one bar in my neighborhood still showing it, we passed several bars that used to but was showing some kind of basketball last night instead.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This was amazing.

[
    ]

[
    ]

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    My dearest wish is now to have Daenerys, Yara, and Lady Alanna Mormont all in a room admiring one another.[/spoiler]
    I'm not sure it would be suitable for Lyanna (isn't it?) to be in the room considering the way Dany and Yara were hinting at potentially "admiring" each other in this episode.

Someone floated the idea of them getting together after last week's episode and it hit me as a fun/funny thought, but this week I was like "Oh wow this is actually happening."
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 06-20-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    This was amazing.

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't know how many of those 62 men survived, but I'm pretty sure that Bear Island is now ripe for the taking.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Best filmed medieval war battle? I think probably so.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I don't know how many of those 62 men survived, but I'm pretty sure that Bear Island is now ripe for the taking.
    Would be funny if the thousands that died were mostly wildlings and such, and only 1 or 2 Mormont bannermen died.

Bears noting, though, that the reason why Bear Island has a strong culture of warrior women is because during fishing seasons all the men are out at sea for weeks and the women were left defending the island against raids. So they'll probably be fine.
    Movie Theater Diary

I think Theon's line should be the new euphemism for someone describing their inadequate genitals: I am "unfit to rule".
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Yeah, I have to think Ramsay is done on Sunday. I mean, he's cut off a guy's dick. He's raped a virgin. He's killed his own father. He's given a baby to dogs to be eaten. I just can't imagine that he's got anywhere else to go from there.
    Managed to knock 'kill a Stark' and 'kill a giant' off his bucket list before the end. I stand corrected.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I'm not sure it would be suitable for Lyanna (isn't it?) to be in the room considering the way Dany and Yara were hinting at potentially "admiring" each other in this episode.

Someone floated the idea of them getting together after last week's episode and it hit me as a fun/funny thought, but this week I was like "Oh wow this is actually happening."
    [
    ]

Will rewatch the episode in a few to confirm.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Wow guys. I thought that whole thing was quite a let down, actually. Technically impressive but dramatically not. It was as by the numbers as any battle I've ever seen. Underdog story conveniently set up by a ridiculous premise: that for no good reason at all, Sansa would withhold information about Littlefinger's army coming. Why wouldn't she say something? If he isn't planning to show up in time Jon might delay the fight. Jesus all he had to do was wait a few hours and probably save hundreds of willing lives with an extra 2,000 men on horseback. And let's face it we all knew that army was coming so it was just a matter of hoping people don't die while we wait for the big reveal. No suspense at all. Terrible excuse to give Sansa some sort of hero role? What the hell? Hack writing masked by visual spectacle.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Wow guys. I thought that whole thing was quite a let down, actually. Technically impressive but dramatically not. It was as by the numbers as any battle I've ever seen. Underdog story conveniently set up by a ridiculous premise: that for no good reason at all, Sansa would withhold information about Littlefinger's army coming. Why wouldn't she say something? If he isn't planning to show up in time Jon might delay the fight. Jesus all he had to do was wait a few hours and probably save hundreds of willing lives with an extra 2,000 men on horseback. And let's face it we all knew that army was coming so it was just a matter of hoping people don't die while we wait for the big reveal. No suspense at all. Terrible excuse to give Sansa some sort of hero role? What the hell? Hack writing masked by visual spectacle.
    This is about right, but it was so well directed that I was enthralled by it all.

But yeah, I don't get Sansa's withholding of information, especially after her argument with Jon. Poor Rickon. Stark character that probably had about five minutes of screen time in the entire series.

Ramsay remained a perfect kind of evil still. Well played from beginning to end.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    [
    ]

Will rewatch the episode in a few to confirm.
    Disregard.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

My guess is that Sansa is not too fond of Littlefinger, and she was hoping against hope that Jon would recruit enough warriors that the Knights of the Vale wouldn't be needed and she could never have to speak to Littlefinger again, and that is why she didn't bring up the fact that they were coming - she didn't want Jon to just say, "Oh, we have a shitload of mounted warriors coming? what the hell am I begging to this 8-year-old for?"

Remember this is Littlefinger we're talking about. He's a complete wild card. Sansa took a huge risk by reaching out to him, considering he could just as easily have helped Ramsay. Jon is a seasoned commander and fighter. Sansa is Sansa. Her act could have been seen as subordination (like Catelyn when she acted without Robb's knowledge). She could have had huge doubts that she was doing the right thing. She could have not wanted Jon to plan on Littlefinger's participation, knowing it was a long shot. There are any number of reasons for her to have acted in secret. The show makes these possibilities clear.

And while a viewer might anticipate Littlefinger's arrival to turn the tide, this is his first overt move in a long game he's been playing since BEFORE THE EVENTS OF EPISODE ONE. It was anything but a sure thing. I think this was a superb episode that offers payoffs that have been a long time coming.

EDIT: Didn't see bac0n's post before writing this. But yes, that too.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    My guess is that Sansa is not too fond of Littlefinger, and she was hoping against hope that Jon would recruit enough warriors that the Knights of the Vale wouldn't be needed and she could never have to speak to Littlefinger again, and that is why she didn't bring up the fact that they were coming - she didn't want Jon to just say, "Oh, we have a shitload of mounted warriors coming? what the hell am I begging to this 8-year-old for?"
    I'm talking about right before the battle. It was one or two episodes ago that she called on Littlefinger with that raven. While I am all in favor of empowering Sansa, and I think they've done a fairly good job of rectifying the injustices done upon her last season, they seemed to try to push it too far last night, turning Jon into an idiot so that Sansa can look like the smart one. Have her warn Jon that Ramsay will try to manipulate him and beg him not to fall for it...only to watch him fall for it. Have her warn Jon that they need more men and then watch him fail on the battlefield because they don't have enough men, setting her up to save the day as she and Gandalf ride in with the Rohirrim Littlefinger ride in with the Knights of the Vale. All conveniently set up by a mind-boggling decision for her to not even mention that she asked for a couple thousand extra men and maybe they could give them another day or two to see if they show up?

(speaking of, any reason why the Vale was not on Jon's list of houses to request help from?)

Remember this is Littlefinger we're talking about. He's a complete wild card. Sansa took a huge risk by reaching out to him, considering he could just as easily have helped Ramsay. Jon is a seasoned commander and fighter. Sansa is Sansa. Her act could have been seen as subordination (like Catelyn when she acted without Robb's knowledge). She could have had huge doubts that she was doing the right thing. She could have not wanted Jon to plan on Littlefinger's participation, knowing it was a long shot. There are any number of reasons for her to have acted in secret. The show makes these possibilities clear.

And while a viewer might anticipate Littlefinger's arrival to turn the tide, this is his first overt move in a long game he's been playing since BEFORE THE EVENTS OF EPISODE ONE. It was anything but a sure thing. I think this was a superb episode that offers payoffs that have been a long time coming.

EDIT: Didn't see bac0n's post before writing this. But yes, that too.
    It does? How so, aside from simply not providing any explanation at all and thus leaving this up for broad speculation as to what her motivations could possibly have been. Subordination? They make the point of stating that Jon is not a king the way Robb was. And Jon literally asks her what she thinks he should do and it's mums the word.

Does she have little love and less trust for Littlefinger? Sure. But that entire argument about lacking enough men would have made a hell of a lot more sense if it was about whether or not they should trust that Littlefinger would show up rather than about whether they had enough men because Sansa inexplicably doesn't tell him he might have another 2,000 coming.

Seems obvious to me why this was done: because it seemingly makes for a more dramatic ending to have the underdog army all but beaten until the reserves come in to turn the tide. It's not exactly a unique scenario and only accomplishes it by a baffling cheat in the story. It's just hard for me to be as satisfied as everyone else seems to be in this thread with writing that lazy and conventional.

Are we supposed to assume that Sansa knew they were coming? These people communicate by flimsily tying torn parchments on birds and letting them fly off, hoping against all fuckery that there isn't any connection error (aka arrows). It's not like we saw her getting a read receipt or one of those three blinking dots indicating that Baelish was composing a reply.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Are we supposed to assume that Sansa knew they were coming? These people communicate by flimsily tying torn parchments on birds and letting them fly off, hoping against all fuckery that there isn't any connection error (aka arrows). It's not like we saw her getting a read receipt or one of those three blinking dots indicating that Baelish was composing a reply.
    LOL!

At the least, awaiting some type of response would've been understood I think. I'm sure Littlefinger could take the whole area if he wanted at this point with his army. So what is his goal here you think?

And something big has to happen with the Freys next week. I can't imagine they'll just rave about expanding their land and bonding with the powerless Lannisters.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast