Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Likewise, The Hound (Hi! I missed you!) knows so absolutely that the Brotherhood are coming back for blood that he straight-up tells the septon about it. He is totally clear what is going to happen, and yet wanders off and knifes a tree so enthusiastically that he misses and entire camp being wiped out? Come on.
    To be fair, they said the night is dark and full of terrors. How was he supposed to know that the day is also full of terrors.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

By the way, two years ago I wouldn't have been able to pick Tobias Mezies out of a crowd and now he's in all the things.

The most distinctive thing about his appearance are those deep lines on both cheeks, which are kind of like dimples but more masculine.

They're so deep that even when he's smeared with grime and being threatened by various Frey men they're clean and white. This amuses me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That whole scene was kind of hilarious because the Freys look like they came out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't think we've seen the last of The Waif. I'm thinking she's been wanting to take Arya out since day one, and she's going to be savoring a little game of cat and mouse with her.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Regarding Arya, the waif knows that she didn't follow through on the assassination of the actress because she was spying on her. Arya doesn't know that. She assumes that Jaqen (or whoever he is) still thinks she's out on the mission and can escape before he realizes. I do think it's within Arya's established character to be so confident that she fails to take this into account.

I have a bigger issue with the fact that the waif was told not to let her suffer and she ended up stabbing her in a place that seems contrary to that instruction. So did the waif do that intentionally? Wouldn't she have a way of taking out an unsuspecting girl more cleanly than that?

These things tend to get explained in time, but it's a question I have right now.

Highlight for me was Olenna pondering whether Cersei was the worst person she'd ever met. Hilarious.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If the waif is such a great assassin, how and why did she let Arya fall into the water without confirming her death? Seems sloppy since Arya threw herself into the water.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If the waif is such a great assassin, how and why did she let Arya fall into the water without confirming her death? Seems sloppy since Arya threw herself into the water.
    It just plays into my previously stated theory that The Waif is playing with Arya, and in so doing ignoring Jaqen's instructions (which might in the end be Arya's salvation).
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

My understanding is that the waif is still in training as well, although further along than Arya. Part of the rivalry surely comes from the fact that Arya was catching up. All this to say that it leaves room for 'unprofessionalism' and we'll probably have our answer within a few episodes as to why the attempt on Arya's life went as it did. I think bac0n may be onto something.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

(spoiler for something that happens in the books, which may or may not happen on the show soon)

[
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I think you're right, but it's entirely possible that it's just setting up a Brienne/Jamie reunion.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think you're right, but it's entirely possible that it's just setting up a Brienne/Jamie reunion.
    Tormund is not gonna like that.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Agreed with Mara - Arya's scene was ridiculous. She should have been paranoid as all fuck, not calmly waiting for death on the streets.

Otherwise I think this is one of the best episodes of the entire series. Lady Mormont is a great new character and Olenna still has the sharpest tongue in Westeros.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Agreed with Mara - Arya's scene was ridiculous. She should have been paranoid as all fuck, not calmly waiting for death on the streets.
    Maybe. But Arya has also been defined as a character who has confidence and poise in situations where she should rightly be cowering in fear. Awful things have tended to happen to everyone around her, but she's mostly stayed away from too much physical harm because people don't think it's worth their time to attack a young girl. What I think that scene conveyed was that her grace period is over and that her bubble is burst.

Or, you know, maybe she's dead. *deadpan emoji*
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Another addition to "Actors I Didn't Recognize on Game of Thrones Because of Changes to Hair Color": UnREAL's narcissistic bachelor Freddie Stroma as Sam's smug younger brother Dickon.

He was also only visible for three seconds by candlelight, in my defense.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That was him? That's funny. Dude's gonna be typecast as handsome privileged pricks.

Didn't he also play a rich kid in Harry Potter?
    Movie Theater Diary

I hope Yara's sexuality is foreshadowing she will seduce Daenerys and they will rule the Seven Kingdoms together.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Hot Pie will sit on the Iron Throne. Pastries for the people. Everyone loves pastries.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Hot Pie will sit on the Iron Throne. Pastries for the people. Everyone loves pastries.
    Everyone?

"It's not fuckin' chicken."
    Movie Theater Diary

Depending on the time that's occurred between Arya sleeping in the darkness with "Needle" and the purchase for the ship, I could possibly buy that she thinks that she's safe, and was obviously caught off guard. Of course, we as a viewer, saw this happening a mile away with how the screen was framed.

At this point, I think she may be OVERLY paranoid after that walk down the street, that at any moment, someone was going to finish her off.

I also REALLY like the theory that Arya IS The Waif, and what we're seeing is her transition into No One.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

I also REALLY like the theory that Arya IS The Waif, and what we're seeing is her transition into No One.
    That is clever, but also makes absolutely no sense. So, Arya is attempting to assassinate herself? Like a Fight Club thing?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Yeah the popular fan theory is that she's Arya's split personality.
    Movie Theater Diary

That is clever, but also makes absolutely no sense. So, Arya is attempting to assassinate herself? Like a Fight Club thing?
    There's a good shot when she's fighting The Waif blind where it cuts to a faraway shot and she's swinging a stick with absolutely nobody around.

The Waif has conversed with nobody in Braavos except Jaqen. Nobody has even looked at her. Pretty interesting.

If this were the case, the reveal of it will be important for the very reason you suggest, because it could come off quite dumb.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

But what would the point of this be? How does this contribute to the larger story? OK, so Arya has a split personality. Now what?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

But what would the point of this be? How does this contribute to the larger story? OK, so Arya has a split personality. Now what?
    I'm not sure. I haven't seen what will happen here. So she'd work for the Many-Faced God, and leads to another direction? What's Arya's plan when she returns to King's Landing? Continue vengeance?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

She just needs to bend the knee to Hot Pie. That's all I know.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast