Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

I miss Tywinn.....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I miss Tywinn.....
    I just re-watched the episode where he instructs Tommen on the qualities that make for an effective king. So good.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It's like those "oh, oh, oh, the show doesn't like women because Sansa doesn't fight back" people. Well, you have Arya for that. Sansa is a different character.
    With each passing episode, it's becoming clearer how misguided the Sansa criticisms have been. She's a critical character because she represents so many of us who live in a world of violence and lies and have trouble finding our voice because the game being played is so completely foreign to our nature. It is one thing to know that there is injustice in the world. It is another to know what one mild-mannered person can do about it. Not everyone is a Jon Snow or a Daenerys. More people are like Sansa, keeping their head down and staying out of it as long as they can. Her character has taken longer to become a player and not a pawn, but I think her arc is starting to pay off nicely.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    With each passing episode, it's becoming clearer how misguided the Sansa criticisms have been. She's a critical character because she represents so many of us who live in a world of violence and lies and have trouble finding our voice because the game being played is so completely foreign to our nature. It is one thing to know that there is injustice in the world. It is another to know what one mild-mannered person can do about it. Not everyone is a Jon Snow or a Daenerys. More people are like Sansa, keeping their head down and staying out of it as long as they can. Her character has taken longer to become a player and not a pawn, but I think her arc is starting to pay off nicely.
    Yeah, I rematch various scenes from earlier seasons and her character has probably had the biggest change overall.

Jaime Lannister has probably shown the most improvement as an actor, which is a completely different topic. It's almost humorous to see his season 1 look.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Exactly. What do people expect her to do, start stabbing and poisoning everyone around her? She's been rendered (or had been, up until this point) a political prisoner.

Quote Quoting Ezee E
    Jaime Lannister has probably shown the most improvement as an actor, which is a completely different topic. It's almost humorous to see his season 1 look.
    And his character has gotten a lot more complex. I have no idea how the introduction of his character has played in the books. In the show Cersei and him were almost cartoonishly evil in the early episodes.

And his character has gotten a lot more complex. I have no idea how the introduction of his character has played in the books. In the show Cersei and him were almost cartoonishly evil in the early episodes.
    Season 1 is about as close to a shot for shot take on a book you can make. So yeah, both were pretty cartoonish there. Jaime becomes more human as the series moves on, Cersei, less so.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Ever since coming back to King's Landing, Jaime has reverted to his "old" self. He's almost at the S1 level in many aspects. His relationship with Cersei is one of the least convincing things on the show.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I sure as Hell hope so. Really like that guy.
    In "A Dance With Dragons" there is, if I remember, a passage talking about a hulking, but silent scarred man working with the sparrows (or at the very least as a monk in some religious sect). Pious, but terrifying in his size. There are clues in the text to suggest that this is the Hound, but its never 100% confirmed.

I could TOTALLY see a Trial by Combat with Zombie Mountain on Cersei's side and A Monkish Hound on the Sparrows side. Cleganebowl, indeed, but by happenstance, but certainly no less welcome.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Ever since coming back to King's Landing, Jaime has reverted to his "old" self. He's almost at the S1 level in many aspects. His relationship with Cersei is one of the least convincing things on the show.
    It's one of my biggest beefs with the deviation from book to show. Jaime, in the books, has the closest we see to a classical hero's journey. His arc is incredible. Sending him back to Cersei's side and reverting him to what he was is just so freaking disappointing.

I think it's a fair criticism. I must say that I'm not even entirely sure what Jaime is doing this season. I feel like his purpose is unclear.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Heyyyy where's Bronn?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Heyyyy where's Bronn?
    Interesting Bron episode.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Mary Sue: idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities.

or

?
    Even Indiana Jones was afraid of snakes.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hodor....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Well, Sarah and I were a mess as this episode ended.

George RR Martin, you're crazy for this one.

Excellent episode. Powerful.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Well, Sarah and I were a mess as this episode ended.

George RR Martin, you're crazy for this one.

Excellent episode. Powerful.
    Try watching that episode with someone who maybe saw part of last weeks episode and that's all their experience with the show, and then start making fun of hold the door.....

I am not in a good mood right now.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Hodor Hodor hodor HODOR hodor Hodor Hodor.

For real, though...

[
    ]
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    It leaked this morning so I watched it then and stayed quiet.

Its undeniable emotional tugging aside, it's kind of a weird, shaggy episode, right? They way they treated things like the [
    ] felt like it needed a world more of dramatic emphasis put on it, but it strangely comes and goes with a tonal shrug, seemingly only in the episode because it needed to give us that information before the episode's climax made it close to impossible to do later.

I'm also not sure that I 100% track how the warg-ing worked from the way it was sequenced/edited between the two timelines. I get that it's meant to be intentionally murky but [
    ]

I forgot that Jack Bender helmed this episode about halfway through, and then somewhere around the middle with the montage of the Greyjoys sneaking away and the scene with Tyrion, Varys and the new Red Woman, I thought to myself, "Man, this feels really Lost-y. Oh.. right. This is the man who directed over a third of it." And then the last ten minutes felt shot and staged like an epic escape from a Dharma station. (The Tree Station?)

I also felt like the writing of that chase felt kinda middle-of-the-road horror amongst all the other more interesting and heartbreaking elements. I do feel like that rote-ness and the confusing sci-fi logic around it deflated the emotional impact for me, even trying to put that aside in my mind upon re-watching it.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-23-2016 at 05:04 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I didn't like this episode. The ending had zero effect on me. I'd rather have Hodor sacrifice himself without the silly time-travel device added in. Instead of what should be a powerful moment, I was rolling my eyes and saying "are they really turning this into Lost?" I also don't like show/movies where a few people can outrun a horde of monsters/zombies.

Arya's story is still going absolutely nowhere.

All I care about is Sansa/Jon's story right now.
    Last edited by Watashi; 05-23-2016 at 03:59 AM.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

One of the best episodes of the series in my opinion. I thought it was stunning.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I didn't like this episode. The ending had zero effect on me. I'd rather have Hodor sacrifice himself without the silly time-travel device added in. Instead of what should be a powerful moment, I was rolling my eyes and saying "are they really turning this into Lost?" I also don't like show/movies where a few people can outrun a horde of monsters/zombies.

Arya's story is still going absolutely nowhere.

All I care about is Sansa/Jon's story right now.
    Pretty much agree with all of this, but I was never charmed by Hodor's simpleton innocence. He was mostly a non-entity. And despite being with this show since the beginning even I thought that "hold the door" scene was a bit much; I don't care how sad they make the violin solo. I was very bummed to see them toast another Direwolf though. Annoying time-travel twist. I'm *still* not sure I really get it, nor do I really get exactly what Bran has been doing this whole time with the Raven. I understand the flashbacks but what does that mean that he's now going to be the new Max Von Sydow? What's this training supposed to allow him to do? Please don't tell me we are setting Bran up with the ability to affect the past somehow and change the present. The hints are there and I'd loathe that.

Still, that was a pretty thrilling sequence. It's no Hardhomme, but anytime those white walkers and their undead army show up these days they wreak havoc and justify their (a) limited use in the show to (b) demonstrate just what the stakes are. Though why with that army are they still kicking around so north of the wall? All the wilding dare gone. They aren't adding any new numbers. Just go take on the wall!

Things I loved about tonight's episode:
    The Sansa - Petyr scene. It's really been exciting to see her dig in and become one of the show's most interesting characters.
    The fact that Jon Snow, Sansa, Davos, Melisandre, Brienne, Dolorous Edd and Tormund were all in the same room together.
    The moments between Theon and Yara.
    Daenerys and Jorah. Straightforward scene. Beautiful performances.
    Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed was really stellar. It's basically a horror movie performance but I thought she really killed it.

I'm not sure how anyone could be unmoved by the final sequence. To each their own, I guess. I thought it was heartbreaking and powerful.

After the last two episodes, which felt kind of rote, I thought this was a return to form.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Interesting that they brought in the director of LOST's "The Constant" specifically to do this episode. They really made no bones about what they were trying to emulate, huh?
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Y'all a bunch of cynical MF'ers.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

My prediction.

Ned Stark is returning.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast