Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What a great way to wrap a season with the leaders of all the lands set and ready.

Question: What was the point of that awkward stare between Little Finger and Sansa?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How will she even last two episodes next season?
    I think that now, without her children to invoke any shred of decency in her, and with the iron throne hers, and holding onto it being the only thing she gives a shit about, we're going to see a mad-king level of brutality out of her next season. shit's really gonna hit the fan!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Producer
    What a great finale. So rousing. Losing Margaery is still pretty stinging though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I think that now, without her children to invoke any shred of decency in her, and with the iron throne hers, and holding onto it being the only thing she gives a shit about, we're going to see a mad-king level of brutality out of her next season. shit's really gonna hit the fan!
    She did the one thing the Mad King wanted to do that made Jamie break his oath to prevent. Technically, she's surpassed his level of brutality.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Question: What was the point of that awkward stare between Little Finger and Sansa?
    She reached out to him in a desperate time. He showed up to bail out Jon's army, thinking that she would be grateful, support his desire for the Iron Throne and be his queen. Littlefinger has had a long-standing attraction to Sansa because she reminds him of Catelyn, his childhood love. Instead, she blew off his offer and is standing by her brother. The stare means that there will be consequences. Not only did Sansa reject him, but she now knows his intentions, which he had managed to keep secret for the entirety of the show up until now. He could possibly start working with Cersei again, or something else.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Yeah that was pretty much the only time Petyr miscalculated. He's definitely going to try to murder Jon somehow.

I actually wondered what he knows or doesn't know. Was there a way he could've found out that Jon and Sansa aren't siblings?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I actually wondered what he knows or doesn't know. Was there a way he could've found out that Jon and Sansa aren't siblings?
    Hmmm I doubt this. Unlike the secret of Joffrey and Tommen's parentage this is actually a well kept thing. Ned didn't even tell his wife, which doubtless would have saved him a ton of marital grief. I doubt if there's a soul alive that knows the truth now other than Bran.

Anyway, great, great finale. It delivered on everything. I like that, even when the hardcore fans have guessed a plot development long ago, George R. R. Martin (and as a result the show) sticks to his guns.

OK, so the show reminded us about the spells that were a part of the construction of the Wall, which explains why the White Walkers have not come down past it by now. But doesn't this mean that Bran is the only way they can get through because of that whole loophole where the Night King touched him in a vision? If Bran just stays north of the Wall, then they couldn't get through, right? Am I missing something?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

You saying Benjen's a mole?
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    OK, so the show reminded us about the spells that were a part of the construction of the Wall, which explains why the White Walkers have not come down past it by now. But doesn't this mean that Bran is the only way they can get through because of that whole loophole where the Night King touched him in a vision? If Bran just stays north of the Wall, then they couldn't get through, right? Am I missing something?
    No, sounds right, which will probably be reflected in the early part of next season, and then play out toward the series finale.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

By the way, no one's mentioned the Davos/Melissande scene yet. Cunningham and Van Houten were great in that scene.
    Movie Theater Diary

During every Melisandre scene now there's a tiny voice in my head going "that bitch is really very old".

By the way, no one's mentioned the Davos/Melissande scene yet. Cunningham and Van Houten were great in that scene.
    Amazing scene. I was really scared we were going to lose one of those actors. I love how Van Houten has really changed Melisandre in the wake of Stannis' death.
    Last edited by Spinal; 06-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

She did the one thing the Mad King wanted to do that made Jamie break his oath to prevent. Technically, she's surpassed his level of brutality.
    This is why I think Jamie will be the one to kill her. Pretty much everyone in Westeros has a reason to want Cersei dead, but no one individual seems worthy of the "honor" of doing the deed. If Jaime does it it's more tragic. Plus, there's symmetry there.

I think the show had no choice but to bring Littlefinger's true motives to the forefront. Otherwise, the show has killed off so many other adversaries in the last couple episodes that we'd be left with no one but Cersei, and she alone isn't enough to create dramatic tension for all of Westeros's good people.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Either it is Bran that helps them bring down the wall or the Nights King finds the Horn of Winter... But I can't remember if they have ever mentioned that on the show.

The remaining plot seems obvious enough at this point. Season 7 is the battle for Westeros which will end with most likely Dany's victory and the end of the Lannisters ... And season 8 is the battle between men and dragons and the White walkers after the wall comes tumbling down in the S7 finale.

Then again this show does usually avoid the really obvious so some twist is expected.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

So Jon Snow is marrying Daenerys right?

I mean, they went out of their way to show Daenerys contemplating who she should marry.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Either it is Bran that helps them bring down the wall or the Nights King finds the Horn of Winter... But I can't remember if they have ever mentioned that on the show.

The remaining plot seems obvious enough at this point. Season 7 is the battle for Westeros which will end with most likely Dany's victory and the end of the Lannisters ... And season 8 is the battle between men and dragons and the White walkers after the wall comes tumbling down in the S7 finale.

Then again this show does usually avoid the really obvious so some twist is expected.
    What the Raiders. Hi.

Why would Bran bring down the wall? Why would he ever do that? And I haven't heard of Horn of Winter and never read the books.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Nope.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So Jon Snow is marrying Daenerys right?

I mean, they went out of their way to show Daenerys contemplating who she should marry.
    Possible. Even if it turns out that they are related. My guess would be shared power with Jon staying in the North and Dany staying in the South. Cersei is likely the last person to sit on the Iron Throne. After that, I think that thing gets melted down by dragons or something like that.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Am I the only one who doesn't expect this to end next season? I'd watch another two gladly.

I'm halfway through the second book now and I haven't heard of the Horn of Winter. It was to be expected, of course, but the world building of the books is incredible. I feel like it gives me a much better grasp on where everyone is really coming from. I'm going to try to read books 4-5 with the chronological order I found online instead of the way they were published. If it ends up being too twisted I'll revert to publishing order.

I sort of expected/wanted Melisandre to die after that scene. In fact, I thought Jon was going to behead her in yet another re-staging of the Ned Stark scene from the pilot, only this time Jon's sword would catch fire like the Azor Ahai's is supposed to.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-27-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Am I the only one who doesn't expect this to end next season? I'd watch another two gladly.
    They intend to finish with two seasons of 7 episodes each.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Possible. Even if it turns out that they are related.
    I don't understand why they half-assed Lost In Translation-ing the scene between Lyanna and Ned. Either keep it all a secret or just lay it out, but it's weird how the scene 99% established that Jon is a Targaryen, and then mute out only the name. What was the point of that?

EDIT: Wait, unless it was just a stylistic choice so the reveal that the baby is Jon was visual (with the match cut) rather than verbal. Hmmm. Still felt weird to me.
    Movie Theater Diary

EDIT: Wait, unless it was just a stylistic choice so the reveal that the baby is Jon was visual (with the match cut) rather than verbal. Hmmm. Still felt weird to me.
    We (my friends and I) asked ourselves the same question and came to pretty much the same conclusion. There was nothing left to hide but they must have played it that way so the few people who haven't heard of R + L = J by now got the most out of the twist.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    This is why I think Jamie will be the one to kill her. Pretty much everyone in Westeros has a reason to want Cersei dead, but no one individual seems worthy of the "honor" of doing the deed. If Jaime does it it's more tragic. Plus, there's symmetry there.
    Yeah, absolutely. This is the obvious narrative closure to their story, especially with the push and pull of Jamie's innate morality. His face when he watched Cersei's crowning seemed to be a turning point.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    We (my friends and I) asked ourselves the same question and came to pretty much the same conclusion. There was nothing left to hide but they must have played it that way so the few people who haven't heard of R + L = J by now got the most out of the twist.
    This, and it also may be easier for people to process one part of the reveal at a time. Too much info too soon might be confusing for a general audience. Let them focus on Jon being Lyanna's son first. Then, once that settles in, you can reveal the rest.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast