Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

By the way, something else has occurred to me.

Why the hell would the entire city of Braavos do little to nothing with a little girl that had her guts stabbed? Has this not dawned on anyone??

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm starting to like this theory more and more now.

She was basically doing a Tyler Durden walking through the streets... the towns folks see nothing wrong and wonder, why is she walking funny? Why is she wet?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I am Jack's sense of confusion.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I get the theory-- that there is a part of her personality that has surrendered completely to the Faceless Men, who is Nobody, A Girl, the perfect acolyte, but there is another part that is still Arya Stark, who still has loyalty and vengeance and love and rage. And the Nobody part of her hates the Arya part and fights against it, and tries to subdue, beat, and kill it. It would explain some things.

But in the years that GOT has been on the air it hasn't established itself as the kind of show where something like that would happen. Magic, yes. Visions, yes. But complicated psychological crises manifesting themselves as individuals? Mental illness bleeding into the waking world? No, not really.

I think the characters are dramatic foils for each other, but I'm kind of hoping it's not literal.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm with Mara. It just doesn't feel like Martin's style to me.

But just about every other fan theory has seemed to pan out so far, so who knows?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Whatever the case, I like that the next episode is called "No One." I like the idea of Arya getting more than two bits in an episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Why the hell would the entire city of Braavos do little to nothing with a little girl that had her guts stabbed? Has this not dawned on anyone??
    That scene reminded me of the opening paragraphs of Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

I think I pinpointed what makes me skeptical about the Arya/Waif theory. Those scenes are written from Arya's perspective in the books. So, while it's a twist that you could set up in a TV show, I'm not really sure how you could mask your intentions in a book that is written from the P.O.V. of the character in question.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I think I pinpointed what makes me skeptical about the Arya/Waif theory. Those scenes are written from Arya's perspective in the books. So, while it's a twist that you could set up in a TV show, I'm not really sure how you could mask your intentions in a book that is written from the P.O.V. of the character in question.
    Any differences in book to TV from these scenes?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Because Tyler Durden wasn't also written in a book from a Narrators' perspective?
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I choose violence.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I like this direction for Sandor so much more than what has been speculated online.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

If that's really the end of the Arya/Bravos storyline, that was a waste.

Meh episode. It's so good to have Sandor back as a regular.

Still thinking we get Stoneheart in the finale.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Pretty weak ending in Braavos indeed if that's the case. Especially for the House of White and Black's angle.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best scene in this was Cersei's reaction as she's betrayed by her son and basically becoming a "no one" to King's Landing. Great performance.

With the way things are going, the Wall is going to come down along with King's Landing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

yeah, every theory to the Arya storyline was better than what played out. Basically 2 years of her learning to fight better in the dark.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I appreciate when the show tries to give us moments of levity, but I really cannot believe "x, y, and z walk into a bar" followed by a "two people on a boat" joke made it through the writers' room. What's next? Pop culture references? I don't understand how they're writing Grey Worm -- I don't think there's any consistency there, and the attempt to give him an arc feels clumsy.

I did enjoy the episode overall, and am just happy that Arya will (hopefully) re-enter the mix. Lena Headey reads one-liners better than anyone.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Arya's always been better than her storylines. Remember when she wandered in the meadows for, like, three years?

(It might have only felt like three years.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, I'm still trying to work out the Arya scenes. I think something's been lost in the adaptation. I gather that the point is supposed to be that to the House of Black and White, it does not matter that Arya wasn't the one who killed the actress. The actress died. And it also doesn't matter that Arya was not the one whose face ended up on the wall. As long as the debt is paid, it makes no difference. But the math doesn't work out. They wanted one death and got two. So does that one get applied as credit to the next death requested by the Many-Faced God? Are they running a tab? The candle bit was clever, but we can't truly be expected to believe that's the completion of training, can we? And after Jaqen's imperceptible assassinations at Harrenhall, it's confusing that we see a long unsubtle, blood-stained chase through the streets. Although I liked the way it was shot, I didn't really get it from a writing perspective.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I appreciate when the show tries to give us moments of levity, but I really cannot believe "x, y, and z walk into a bar" followed by a "two people on a boat" joke made it through the writers' room. What's next? Pop culture references? I don't understand how they're writing Grey Worm -- I don't think there's any consistency there, and the attempt to give him an arc feels clumsy.
    I really can't believe that we had another 'Grey Worm and Missandei just need to loosen up' scene. I didn't feel like it worked the first time and this time was even more awkward.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

So far I don't know what to make of the Arya storyline either. It's... kind of pointless? Also, holy gut stab healing powers, Batman.

Spinal, remember that Jaqen owes Arya his life so that might be why he's letting go of her so easily.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Spinal, remember that Jaqen owes Arya his life so that might be why he's letting go of her so easily.
    Jaqen's debt to Arya was already paid. He helped her escape from Harrenhall. My impression is that she arrives at Braavos with a clean slate. Neither owes the other anything. And when she arrives, the person with Jaqen's face claims that he is not in fact Jaqen, but No One.

So this leads to the question of why she was invited there in the first place, what she learned and why she has been allowed to leave. So far we know that she was asked to kill someone twice and both times went rogue. She was asked to kill 'the thin man', but instead killed Meryn Trant. She was asked to kill the actress, refused, and made plans to go home. Ultimately, she killed the waif once she was pursued.

After Arya killed Trant, someone with Jaqen's face swallowed poison to pay the debt. Arya took several masks off of that body, ending up with her own. Another person appeared with Jaqen's face behind her, (formerly the waif?). It's like a game of three-card monty here and I am not even sure that Arya is Arya. Is it possible that the House of Black and White hijacked her identity for their own purpose and the real Arya is dead?

Probably not. But I can't really understand why you would go through all the trouble of talking about how we're going to break down your personality and then have Arya leave with a few more skills, but essentially the same person. Thematically it's not terribly interesting, unless there is something else to this story we haven't seen yet.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

...unless there is something else to this story we haven't seen yet.
    Without which, its all been a colossal waste of time.

Yeah, I'm still trying to work out the Arya scenes. I think something's been lost in the adaptation. I gather that the point is supposed to be that to the House of Black and White, it does not matter that Arya wasn't the one who killed the actress. The actress died. And it also doesn't matter that Arya was not the one whose face ended up on the wall. As long as the debt is paid, it makes no difference. But the math doesn't work out. They wanted one death and got two. So does that one get applied as credit to the next death requested by the Many-Faced God? Are they running a tab? The candle bit was clever, but we can't truly be expected to believe that's the completion of training, can we? And after Jaqen's imperceptible assassinations at Harrenhall, it's confusing that we see a long unsubtle, blood-stained chase through the streets. Although I liked the way it was shot, I didn't really get it from a writing perspective.
    I thought it was Jaqen just trying to sway Arya into rejoining, or not kill him, rather than actually a completion of training.

It simply ended all too easy. It would've been far better if Arya had to sleep in the darkness until that boat left, only to be paranoid that the House would forever be after her. WHat's her plan now when she returns to Westeros? Try and live in Winterfell?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I always thought the show kind of intentionally made the whole religious belief / code of the House of Black and White somewhat impenetrable. We only ever really know what Arya knows, which isn't much. It's a cult of assassins who essentially collect the faces of those they are paid to kill, all for the "will" of the Many Faced God. A face is a face after all.

I liked the scene itself between Jaqen and Arya as I think it slyly humanized him and showed that in the end, he may not truly have wanted her to become "no one." He did previously ask that she not suffer after all, which would seem contrary to his detachment from the will of the MFG.

The issue is that I just don't know what any of it really matters. I mean, if she had just spent more time with The Hound, it seems like she could have developed the same fighting skills... so why did we go through that??? I can only imagine that Arya is the ultimate "long game" in this show and that all of this is leading her to some important moment, but I don't know what it could possibly be.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast