Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jessica Jones (Season 1)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If this was a real life conversation I'd be laughing.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Touchy touchy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Touchy touchy.
    This........... I can't argue with.

"Here's Duke taking you into the weekend."
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 12-04-2015 at 06:26 PM.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Duke, without giving too much away, a man wishing a woman would be prettier for him ends up being a crucial part of the story.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    All I fucking said was I wish she was cuter.........
    But that's just a really weird thing to say about someone.

Imagine saying that to someone in person?

I think you're tying to say that she doesn't fit your idea of the character, is that right?

If so, there are more tactful ways to relay that information.

But that's just a really weird thing to say about someone.

Imagine saying that to someone in person?

I think you're tying to say that she doesn't fit your idea of the character, is that right?

If so, there are more tactful ways to relay that information.
    I would never say that to someone in person because that context makes zero sense. Yes that is what I am saying.

Just watched the rape episode last night. "WWJD"

Seriously did her inconsistent strength not bother anyone else?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I don't even really remember any inconsistency.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I haven't seen it either. She breaks a lot of metal stuff.

[
    ]

Strength doesn't mean you're invulnerable like Superman. Granted we're only on ep5 or so, but it seems to me that while shes metahuman strong, shes just about as susceptible to damage as any normie. Maybe I'm wrong?

They specifically played with it in that episode where she gets shot. She gets away with bluffing most of the time because people just assume you're invulnerable when you're strong.
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh.

Well, I still hate Robyn.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-j...being-stalked/

EDIT: The author originally titled that article "5 Ways 'Jessica Jones' Perfectly Portrays Being Stalked" but of course the Cracked editors retitled to the generic and clickbait sounding "5 Reasons 'Jessica Jones' Is Way Darker Than You Realize."

#1 is one of my favorite aspects of the show. Jessica's really quick in telling other people they're not responsible. That's the main thing she drills to Hope, and she says it with a lot of conviction. She genuinely believes the fault is 100% in Kilgrave. But it doesn't change the fact that she feels all the guilt for what Kilgrave made her do.
    Movie Theater Diary

In one scene she lifts a car with no effort at all. In others she seems to be struggling lifting/throwing people in fights.

Also we see her jump incredible heights and scale skyscrapers, but in one of the final episodes she barely makes a 20-30 foot jump between a couple of balconies.

And yes, the knock out was a low. As was the being shot. I didn't think they were playing with it - they seemed to have no set rules for what she can and can't endure. She explicitly says that she is able to heal faster than most, and her gunshot wound is gone by the next episode. But she broken ribs remain for like 1/3 of the season.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    In one scene she lifts a car with no effort at all. In others she seems to be struggling lifting/throwing people in fights.

Also we see her jump incredible heights and scale skyscrapers, but in one of the final episodes she barely makes a 20-30 foot jump between a couple of balconies.

And yes, the knock out was a low. As was the being shot. I didn't think they were playing with it - they seemed to have no set rules for what she can and can't endure. She explicitly says that she is able to heal faster than most, and her gunshot wound is gone by the next episode. But she broken ribs remain for like 1/3 of the season.
    Superhero logic.

Make the hero weaker or stronger depending on the amount of drama or suspense you need.

Just watched the rape episode last night. "WWJD"
    Well now you know why she has a "sour look" on her face. It would make no sense to have a survivor of emotional and sexual trauma being all cheery and smiley.

Yup

Producer
    I thought it was established already in the very first episode what she had gone through? Like, what happened to Hope already happened to her. Not to mention the traumatized looks she had after being triggered to remember him. The very end of the episode is she struggling mightily to overcome her traumatic past so she can help Hope.

Anyway, really liked the series. Would loved it even more without those neighbors, which drag down even the initially poignant survivor group stuff.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Why don't people wear ear plugs around Kill Grave?

Why don't people wear ear plugs around Kill Grave?
    I seem to recall her using them. Then he just uses random people to attack.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeah, Patsy confronts him using an iPod. He then commands pedestrians to knock them off her ears.
    Movie Theater Diary

Wow, this show was incredible. If the adagio that "a hero is only as good as its antagonist" applies then it becomes even more incredible. Kilgrave is the most effective villain I've seen in a long, long time and he makes even D'Onofrio's creepy, mature interpretation of Kingpin (a much more "real world" character all things considered) look childish and comic-booky. David Tennant is awesome, Krysten Ritter is a great, charismatic lead (I realize now we didn't see nearly enough of her range in Breaking Bad), pretty much everyone is spot-on. Even that guy who plays the Netflix version of Nuke is pretty rocking - he really sells the "crazed soldier" angle and is pretty funny to boot during the later episodes. The season itself is a gem. It might be my favorite piece of media in the cinematic Marvel Universe so far. I can't tell if you guys are serious when you talk about the occasional bad writing. There are plenty of fully fleshed out secondary characters in this and it has scenes that range from terrifying to hilarious. What more can we ask of TV? Well, actually, you can ask for more - it has a running theme of surviving abusive relationships that I thought was very well handled. I kept anticipating myself and expecting some awkward scene of dialogue to lay it out on the open with no subtletly whatsoever and that never came. Yet there were plenty of suspenseful dramatic moments such as the rooftop sucide attempt that are just amazingly sharp.

It even compares very favorably to the actual Jessica Jones comics. I revisited Alias and The Pulse while I was binging mid-season and... they're not so good. It might be that Bendis's dialogue gets overbearing, or that that Michael Gaydos dude who draws Alias is one of the crappiest artists professionally published that I know of, but I much prefer this version of Jessica Jones. Kilgrave is an afterthought in the original comics, a Big Baddie that Bendis decides to turn into a Deadpool-like meta-joke for some reason, instead of the spectacular villain he is here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast