View Poll Results: Spectre

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

11 45.83%
  • Nay

13 54.17%

Thread: Spectre (Sam Mendes)

Ah there it is finally, the Spectre Thread. As a longtime Bond fan I enjoyed this movie and would argue that lenser Hoyte van Hoytema is one of the movie's true champions. It looks really fantastic. Like Skyfall, this is a very similar movie, sort of plausible, tackling some interesting issues, but something was off. The action looked great, but didn't thrill. A nighttime chase through Rome looked like a trailer for a Need for Speed game and a late in the game escape packs all the fireworks you could ask for, but again, stakes-free, all-too-easy even while I'm enjoying the resulting shot from a purely visual standpoint. Biggest dud was Bellucci who gets pumped by Bond for information and then swiftly abandoned. "Finally a Bond girl Bond's own age!" the hype machine screamed, but that was a lie. Once more, Bond and romance are two words that don't mix well as I felt there was scarcely any chemistry between Craig and Seydoux. They need to stop digging into Bond's past.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

From the reception I thought this was going to be terrible. But it's not. It's worse: it's just completely ordinary and unimpressive. I don't know how you could make a 2.5 hour movie and make everything feel so rushed.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This is a movie that exists.

Marginal yay. I'm a fan of Bond, but even for the franchise's usual standards this is painfully conventional.

I'm also bummed that Christoph Waltz rose to celebrity status only to become a parody of himself in only six years.

Like Skyfall it's enjoyable some of the time (that helicopter opening was a pretty cool stunt, outside of the obviously faked master shots) but ultimately overlong and drags a lot of the time. The plot is straightforward and the storytelling is uninspired (at one point there's a car chase that exists to prop up even more exposition and I'm like zzzzzz). And don't even get me started on the revelations (aka retcons) Bond discovers. I was howling. Nobody stopped to think how fucking stupid that was going to sound? I was already down on Skyfall because of its weak scripting (getting caught was part of my plan like zzzzz) but the writing in Spectre sinks it even harder. No Deakins to take it all up a notch this time, either.

I liked the way Skyfall set up a new status quo with M, Q, and Moneypenny. I would have been happy if we just got Craig being Bond. The icon. Just living it. I didn't hate Spectre, but it doubles down on precisely the elements of the Craig films I haven't liked (his past, the shadow of his relationship with Vesper, etc.) and amps up the stupidity of it tenfold. So a definite nay.
    Last edited by Stay Puft; 11-30-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Skyfall did a few things that I thought made it a much more interesting film than most other Bond films. I really liked the meeting with Q in a museum. It was just different from past Q scenes. "Were you expecting an exploding pen? We don't really go in for that anymore." In Spectre, they're back to meeting in an underground lair, showing off the car, and Q gives him an exploding watch. I felt like everything interesting about Skyfall was tossed out for Spectre. Bond's aging is never mentioned. Moneypenny is back to being a secretary. And our villain has a giant complex in a crater. So ordinary.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ended up getting turned away along with maybe a hundred others from a super early, total mess of a screening for The Revenant, so decided to finally see this instead with the friends I'd dragged out to the promise of new Leo and Innaritu.

Maybe it was just with that damper off the bat and all but a few people I tend to trust critically and IRL lowering my expectations for this significantly, but I miraculously really had a good time with it despite all the clunkiness that was clearly also there on display.

A much better companion to Skyfall than Quantum was to Royale. But weirdly, whereas Forster's lightweight epilogue made me appreciate Campbell's top-tier entry even more, this more recent film of Mendes' oddly made me wonder if his Skyfall was really all that. Definitely not able to say I think it's better than the last, but it definitely stands on its own more interestingly for me, as sloppy as it often feels, with questionable canonical liberties taken.

It feels like a movie trapped in another time, from the script to Hoyte's cinematography supremely handsome but significantly more retrograde-feeling than Deakins' vibrant, run-of-the-spectrum, sharp digital work, but I dunno, I oddly really liked it, despite clearly seeing and acknowledging what it is. Sometimes expectations are really are everything. I even loved the opening credits despite thinking the Sam Smith theme is bunk!

My relationship with this movie is like the one-night stand Bond had with Bellucci's character. He goes for it because it's Monica Bellucci, but there's no reason it needed to happen, and probably won't think much about it later or have much fun defending it.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 12-01-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

So it turns out that, yes, Radiohead was asked to write a theme song for Spectre. We know they went for Sam Smith in the end.

Here's what Radiohead came up with:
    https://soundcloud.com/radiohead/spectre
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

That doesn't feel like a Bond song, which probably would have made it the better choice.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Reopened. Not sure how it got locked, but it doesn't seem to have been intentional.

- - - - -
    The opening sequence here is gorgeous, and oddly there's a few beautiful, striking compositions after that. It made me wonder who shot this.

As for the rest: I think with Spectre, Craig's term as Bond has been a failure. This franchise hit a brick wall twice. Once when they ran out of source material, and once when the Berlin wall crumbled and the Soviet Union fell. It doesn't surprise me, on balance, that the gritty reboot quickly ran out of steam. They haven't had anywhere to go since 1989.

The one surprise: How far they've stretched the characters out of shape (and for no good purpose). No, Bond wouldn't sit with his back to windows. Twice. No, his apartment wouldn't look like that. No, Bond wouldn't be that openly surly and contemptuous to immediate superiors. No, the head of MI6 wouldn't mumble about "democracy" while at any kind of sigint conference. Nor would he be wary of surveillance states. No, Blofeld isn't a giggling twit. No, Tracy (???) isn't an assassin. No, not everybody in this universe is interconnected like some kind of incestuous game of hide and seek.

Spectre presents Bond as not only redundant, but also boring.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The opening sequence here is gorgeous, and oddly there's a few beautiful, striking compositions after that. It made me wonder who shot this.

As for the rest: I think with Spectre, Craig's term as Bond has been a failure. This franchise hit a brick wall twice. Once when they ran out of source material, and once when the Berlin wall crumbled and the Soviet Union fell. It doesn't surprise me, on balance, that the gritty reboot quickly ran out of steam. They haven't had anywhere to go since 1989.

The one surprise: How far they've stretched the characters out of shape (and for no good purpose). No, Bond wouldn't sit with his back to windows. Twice. No, his apartment wouldn't look like that. No, Bond wouldn't be that openly surly and contemptuous to immediate superiors. No, the head of MI6 wouldn't mumble about "democracy" while at any kind of sigint conference. Nor would he be wary of surveillance states. No, Blofeld isn't a giggling twit. No, Tracy (???) isn't an assassin. No, not everybody in this universe is interconnected like some kind of incestuous game of hide and seek.

Spectre presents Bond as not only redundant, but also boring.
    This.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    Skyfall did a few things that I thought made it a much more interesting film than most other Bond films. I really liked the meeting with Q in a museum. It was just different from past Q scenes. "Were you expecting an exploding pen? We don't really go in for that anymore." In Spectre, they're back to meeting in an underground lair, showing off the car, and Q gives him an exploding watch. I felt like everything interesting about Skyfall was tossed out for Spectre. Bond's aging is never mentioned. Moneypenny is back to being a secretary. And our villain has a giant complex in a crater. So ordinary.
    My biggest complaint was our first introduction of Q in the other movie. They've made up for it here.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

A big solid 'meh'
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I really enjoyed the hell out of this film. I figured I would be one of the few that digs it a lot. Also I now think that Craig is the best Bond. Well that and Connery of course.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

That video makes this movie look so bad. Because it sorta is.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That video makes this movie look so bad. Because it sorta is.
    ahahaaha!! "On agent difficulty".

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I think of Honest Trailers as being nit picking and not really funny.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This was fine. Not great, not bad...just fine.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I think of Honest Trailers as being nit picking and not really funny.
    Try to think of them as something not to be taken entirely seriously. That said, they're still more miss than hit for me too. But "agent difficulty" cracked me up because it's so true.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

It's better than Quantum of Solace, and entertaining at times. Perhaps if it didn't come after Skyfall, it would be more enjoyable.

And I fucking hate Batista's double 1911 pistol.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Finally got to see this...and I really liked it. This whole Craig arc has been really interesting. The opening song was horrible, though. Should've gone with Radiohead.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I enjoyed this up until the arrival of Lea Seydoux. After that, the film just felt more and more hacky (she says "I love you" after a day?!), and it relied more and more on me having kept up with the previous three films, and, weirdly, despite the Secret Connection between Bond and Oberhauser, that connection doesn't inspire anything in the way of emotion.

But that opening is grand, and the first car chase with Bond and Hinx has its pleasures, and the cinematography starts and stays with those slightly warmed-up whites throughout - in general, the film guns for shades of ivory, which ties back to the Day of the Dead, which I guess is meant to tie back to Oberhauser and his presumed death years ago and moreso Bond leaving a trail of dead in his wake over the prior three movies.