Thread: MST3K Is Back! (Maybe)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

MST3K Is Back! (Maybe)

Mr. Joel Hodgson officially launched a Kickstarter campaign today requesting $2 million to get the first three episodes up and running and entice former cast/staff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bringbackmst3k

So far today they've gained well over $400,000 in pledged donations.

However, Joel won't be hosting, and no word yet on who's coming back. The show had big cast turnover throughout its run, so this isn't beyond the pale, but I hesitate to think of a MST3K that not only doesn't have Joel as host but doesn't have Mike involved in the writers' room.

Word on the street is all the rights finally got chilled out because Jim Mallon sold the rights to MST3K to Shout Factory.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-10-2015 at 08:00 PM.

No go for me without Joel as host.

Sadly, I don't think MST3K can find an audience in today's world when anyone can upload a video of them riffing on movies. I would enjoy it but it needs to keep the classic cast and writers and not become Rifftrax where they pick obvious bad movies.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I am a believer.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Patton Oswalt! Felicia Day! This has really turned into some kind of a thing.

Hate to be such a bummer on this thing, but anything involving Felicia Day is no go for me.

I do not understand the Geek-boner people have for her, and with Oswalt on board it feels like a total try-hard geekdom thing now, tailor made for Comic Con or PAX or something, rather than something real and organic. Might as well get Day 9 and Wil Wheaton up in there.

I'll just be happy to let MST be a part of my past, and visit the originals when I want ot.

MST3K really feels like something that had to grab you at a specific age for it to mean anything to you. I tried to watch an episode for the first time in my twenties and couldn't stand it. Corny jokes over a bad movie. Genuinely didn't understand the appeal

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    MST3K really feels like something that had to grab you at a specific age for it to mean anything to you. I tried to watch an episode for the first time in my twenties and couldn't stand it. Corny jokes over a bad movie. Genuinely didn't understand the appeal
    I think so. It's also really, really hit or miss, so you could have just seen a terrible episode.