Thread: OH HELL YES - Gamera (2016)

OH HELL YES - Gamera (2016)

Prepare to shit thy pants.

I've been digging around, and apparently the news is legit, as is the trailer. If Shusuke Kaneko (director of the 90s trilogy which you should all watch, like right fucking now) is attached to this project, I don't know what I'll do with myself.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The director is Ishii Katsuhito (director of The Taste of Tea, one of the directors behind Funky Forest: The First Contact) and he's doing character design, too. Can't find anything out about anyone else involved just yet.

Official website: http://www.gamera-50th.jp/

A variety of tokusatsu blogs are writing about it: http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/10/...direct-gamera/

Looks like Ishii dropped by NYCC to promote it and show it off.

The 90s trilogy is the best. All 3 of those plus the 1967 one will be at Tokyo International Film Festival later this month, digitally remastered.

This really is pretty awesome.

That said, while some are referring to this as a "trailer" and others a "pilot film" or "proof of concept" for a forthcoming 2016/2017 Gamera film, I can't find anything in Japanese about a new film being announced. The new website refers to this as a 誕生50周年記念スペシャル映像, which just translates to "Special Commemorative 50th Anniversary Video," so I'm wondering if there really is a new film. I'm personally waiting to come across something a little more definite.

This made my day/week/year.

That trilogy is phenomenal. I can't freaking wait for this.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So Gamera is a good guy? What do i need to pre-watch before I see this?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So Gamera is a good guy? What do i need to pre-watch before I see this?
    The Gamera trilogy from the 90s. You can get the bluray 'set' for ten bucks.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeah, Gamera is a good guy, has pretty much been that way since his second film back in the 60s.

From the looks of the trailer, my guess is you don't necessarily need to see the three Gamera films from the 90s to know what's going on, but you should. They represent the very best that the daikaiju genre has to offer.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)