black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Fairly gripping and tense. Does a good job of laying out a large cast and giving you reasons to care about/root for everyone. Some of the expansive cinematography in the first half is thrilling and the process of climbing Everest comes across as fascinating. My heart broke for one climber who comes within 200 yards of the summit and is told to turn back for his own safety. The sacrifice and endurance required to get there is sold really well and the achievement of summiting is given great weight. Once the storm comes, the movie loses something of that wonder and fails to fully replace it with genuinely felt fear and sadness. From there the movie becomes a series of close-ups of people pleading into radio transmitters to the stranded. The filmmaking becomes less interesting (though I'm always impressed at how cool a close-up of a human face looks in 3D).

Solid story and great performances. Makes me want to learn more about the event and the process of climbing tall mountains. But the momentum slows down in the latter third of the film.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

[
    ]
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Lazlo basically nails it.

The expedition, challenges along the way, and the difficulties are certainly to be admired. There's also some neat filmmaking here, as Duke's video points out, without special effects (although of course, a lot was still green-screened). It's the return that makes this story stand amongst the other mountain stories, and it's actually kind of confusing.

The story of Anatoli Boukreev is pretty badass, and kind of glanced over. The oxygen-tank less Russian that saved two of the climbers on his descent is probably the most interesting of the stories. I wanted more about him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The story of Anatoli Boukreev is pretty badass, and kind of glanced over. The oxygen-tank less Russian that saved two of the climbers on his descent is probably the most interesting of the stories. I wanted more about him.
    Yeah, his story overall is definitely more interesting than all the others put together.

This movie made $200 million!

Anyway, I loved this cast and the story is pretty gripping as ERic and Lazlo already stated. Worth a watch.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    [
    ]
    I dont know about the ropes, but the O was definitely not placed where Rob said to place it. I don't remember who's responsibility that was though.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I dont know about the ropes, but the O was definitely not placed where Rob said to place it. I don't remember who's responsibility that was though.
    Yeah, I get that it all went wrong. The movie does a bad job of making sense of who is at fault for the human error, especially since there's so much to go around.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Producer
    Solid, workmanlike craft, and what pushes this above is that the film is more focused on intimate procedural nuts-and-bolts details than spectacle, which pays off dramatically once everything goes south. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5