Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut Presidential Dog and Pony Show

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'm just going to move up north, install a .50cal on the roof of the pole barn, and declare my land a sovereign nation.
    Are you accepting immigrants?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I think I'll just go to the pub, have a pint, and wait for this whole thing to blow over.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I think I'll just go to the pub, have a pint, and wait for this whole thing to blow over.
    +5

How about we do the Golden Mile instead?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    +5

How about we do the Golden Mile instead?
    As long as nobody's drinking fucking rain.

After Bush and Trump, I don't expect to see another white male President in my lifetime. I hope we can eventually move on to leaders who are not just progressive in appearance, but progressive in practice.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

It's so weird how Trump perceived an insult in Clinton's straightforward praise of his children.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    It's so weird how Trump perceived an insult in Clinton's straightforward praise of his children.
    Many Republicans are hoping Ivanka is the one that runs for President down the line.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Last night's debate legitimately had my heart pounding in a way I can't even describe. What a deeply surreal, weighty and maddening spectacle it was to behold. And I'm not even American!

[
    ]
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Debates need more dogs. Also, more ponies.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Last night's debate legitimately had my heart pounding in a way I can't even describe. What a deeply surreal, weighty and maddening spectacle it was to behold. And I'm not even American!

[
    ]
    It has been so insane to watch as a foreigner. If it was a New Zealand election the entire campaign would've started last week and no one would be being accused of sexual assault.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    It has been so insane to watch as a foreigner. If it was a New Zealand election the entire campaign would've started last week and no one would be being accused of sexual assault.
    Well, we did have one minor party leader accused of sexual harassment, so maybe we just need more practice....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Well, we did have one minor party leader accused of sexual harassment, so maybe we just need more practice....
    Also, our prime minister repeatedly pulled a woman's pony tail. Actually, I take it back, our country sucks.

The Conservative Party was never actually in parliament though to be fair.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Also, our prime minister repeatedly pulled a woman's pony tail. Actually, I take it back, our country sucks.

The Conservative Party was never actually in parliament though to be fair.
    That is true. We are a cesspool of childish acts of affection and inappropriately sexual text messages.

Still, better than being Australian.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm banking on my dad being Canadian gets me preferential treatment for the inevitable move.

I do not feel that a Trump presidency is likely. Granted, the fact that we even have to discuss it as a possibility is awful. However, I don't think he statistically has much of a chance. He is like the ebola of candidates. Scary and potentially very dangerous. However, if he did somehow get into a position to hurt people, I think a team of people would rally quickly to contain him and he would burn out quickly. It wouldn't be very hard to get bipartisan support for an impeachment process.

However, what's truly scary to me is how he has laid the groundwork for violence after he loses the election. When you declare your opponent illegitimate, criminal and the devil, and prop up every conspiracy theory you can get your hands on, you are inviting unhinged people to take action into their own hands. They will feel righteous and legitimized by the movement he has led. Trump is a scumbag in so many ways it's hard to keep track of them all, but this is what I find most troubling. I worry his legacy will include bloodshed before this is through.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I do not feel that a Trump presidency is likely.
    I do. From everything I've put up with on Facebook to the unfavorable ratings CNN reported after the debate, there's enough hate for Hillary as there is for Trump. Then again, living in a state for most of my life that churns out corrupt governors every four to eight years (Illinois) has made me cynical about all things politics.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 10-11-2016 at 01:46 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

What unfavorable ratings? I was watching CNN and they reported that their audience polls voted for Hillary as the winner of that debate by a large margin.

I'm subscribing to the prediction that Trump's myriad of scandals are not changing anything about the Presidential election but it's going to noticeably affect downticket races, and is giving Democrats hope in 2018 that they didn't have before.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I do. From everything I've put up with on Facebook to the unfavorable ratings CNN reported after the debate, there's enough hate for Hillary as there is for Trump. Then again, living in a state for most of my life that churns out corrupt governors every four to eight years (Illinois) has made me cynical about all things politics.
    I basically visit FiveThirtyEight and Princeton Election Consortium every day to soothe my fears, and Hillary's bounce after the first debate became a climb and is currently almost matching her peak levels in the wake of the DNC Convention.

Granted, this election season's final stretch kinda feels like we're all members in the mud fight from The Raid 2, so all it might take is a well-timed boot to the face to turn this all around for Trump; my expectation is that numbers will narrow but favor Clinton and give her the presidency. Trump's made the queer decision to emphasize his base over collecting swing voters in a meaningful way (outside a few Bernie plugs during the debate), and I think that tape ensured he won't be able to rebrand himself to women (not that there was much risk of that).

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I basically visit FiveThirtyEight and Princeton Election Consortium every day to soothe my fears, and Hillary's bounce after the first debate became a climb and is currently almost matching her peak levels in the wake of the DNC Convention.
    Ditto, though I would encourage you to contain any hubris by using Nate Silver's oft-repeated dictum: this race has been characterized by high volatility and unpredictability. She's currently killing him in the 538 forecast. But 4 weeks ago Hillary had one of the worst weeks of her campaign and 2 weeks ago, just before the first debate, the race was damn near a toss-up, with her hovering somewhere around 55% probability of victory. These candidates are so hated that the undecideds that break for or against them are ready to dump one for the other based on one or two news cycles. I expect we'll see a normalization of the gap between them, she'll be up by 3-4 points and within the margin of error going into election night, and then we'll all be fucking praying that we haven't had a Brexit-style polling error.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What unfavorable ratings? I was watching CNN and they reported that their audience polls voted for Hillary as the winner of that debate by a large margin.
    http://www.redstate.com/saragonzales...undays-debate/

"Respondents also determined Hillary Clinton was more likable than Drumpf: when asked if they had a favorable opinion of the candidates, 55% answered they had a favorable opinion of Clinton (44% unfavorable) while only 34% had a favorable opinion of Drumpf (64% unfavorable)."

44 is uncomfortably close to that 55%, in my opinion. It's also apparently the highest unfavorable percentage for a Democratic candidate ever. I admit I don't have the source off-hand, although I could've sworn a CNN reporter said it last night.

After everything that's happened in the news this year, the general "both candidates suck!" mentality plaguing this year's election, the millennials not voting/voting third-party out of protest over Bernie getting "screwed" because they believe they're SO entitled to have him as President, living in a political climate where the smallest little thing gets everyone outraged, and learning that politics control our lives whether we want them to or not, I'm ready for this campaign season to end. As much as I want to believe in the polls and my real-life friends and common sense . . . Florida screwed up the election in 2000. Brexit happened. I can't get the thought of something terrible happening on Election Day leading us all to witness the end of the world out of my head . . . and I'm terrified about it. I wish I had the optimism of other people.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 10-11-2016 at 04:23 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I really hope that all the people that say they'll move if Trump/Clinton wins, that they follow through on it. That'll really make my commute to work faster.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm trying to keep positive that IF Trump wins, he will be the lamest duck president ever and will get nothing done.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm trying to keep positive that IF Trump wins, he will be the lamest duck president ever and will get nothing done.
    I'm almost certain if Trump wins, he'll basically just be the figurehead running his mouth while Pence pretty much takes on the actual presidential duties behind the scenes.

I read this yesterday and waited to see if the update was going to be major news or not. Been watching various news channels since, and it doesn't seem like it.

It's a pretty weird story, though: http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-put...sputnik-508635
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Movie Theater Diary

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast