Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut Presidential Dog and Pony Show

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So what? I just mean in principle. Dems are for more government, GPO is for less. Spending is a byproduct.
    You said it (or at least I read it) like you were surprised the GOP isn't the party they claim to be.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    There has never been a Republic administration during your lifetime that was "conservative on their spending."
    I think he was implying its an issue they campaign on, which is very true. Then they do the opposite. But it doesn't matter, voters only seem to pay attention during voting years then never follow up on if their candidate followed through on their promises.

I think the major takeaway here is not that neither party is fiscally conservative (something everybody seems to agree on), but that when inflation is low, there is no reason for them to be fiscally conservative. It's not the 1970s anymore. In the current climate, fiscal conservatism would be economic suicide, slowing growth without providing any material benefit. The fundamental difference between the two parties is that the Republicans want to give money to the rich (the whole point of spending so much on the military is to create favourable conditions for American industry abroad) and the Democrats want to invest in things that benefit the domestic population at large (e.g., healthcare and education).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Incredible real time updating. Tech rules.

https://graphics.wsj.com/election-20...ults/?mod=e2tw
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Biden has a very Trump-like presence as far as votes are going.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    From this outsider whose intermittent glimpse into this give the impression of it being Sanders vs Warren before, Biden seems like a big surprise wild surge. I guess the "good" ol’ days wistfulness in that country is strong whether which side of political spectrum huh.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I think I'll write in Gritty and just wash my hands of this entire trashfire of an election if it's Biden vs Trump. Get ready for the senile old men debates. Well I guess I can look for a leftist third party but the Greens will probably go with another moonbat like Jill Stein again.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's easy to see why Biden is surging: He's done extremely well with black voters, especially older black voters, whom Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and even Sanders have struggled to appeal to. Once this became overwhelmingly apparent, the party establishment coalesced around Biden virtually overnight, and there probably aren't enough young people and Latinos to get Sanders even a plurality of delegates.

Too bad, because Biden looks like another low-energy establishment candidate with tons of baggage who will crash and burn in the general election (think Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton). In my lifetime, the Democrats have only won when they pick relatively young, charismatic candidates like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Get ready for four more years of Trump (at least).
    Just because...

The (New) World

Biden is senile. I keep seeing "bring back kindness and decency" and a parasocial relationship with the Obama era among his voters. They just want things to be "normal again", while the other half of the Democratic electorate is screaming in agony for real change.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Biden is senile. I keep seeing "bring back kindness and decency" and a parasocial relationship with the Obama era among his voters. They just want things to be "normal again", while the other half of the Democratic electorate is screaming in agony for real change.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
    Totally agree with you, the problem is that the half that's screaming isn't voting. Under 30 turnout was abysmal yesterday. I don't get it.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I was talking about the Sanders camp and, to an extent, Warren supporters.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I was talking about the Sanders camp and, to an extent, Warren supporters.
    Yeah, so was I. I'm not sure how much Warren damaged Sanders' chances yesterday, but they also represent different degrees of change. I voted for Warren, would have had Sanders as a second choice on a ranked ballot. But if we go with the idea that Sanders is the candidate of the youth, their voices are just louder than their numbers are large, I guess.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

- - - - -
    Joe Biden. Good God. It's like the DNC wants to lose.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    It's easy to see why Biden is surging: He's done extremely well with black voters, especially older black voters, whom Bloomberg, Buttigieg, and even Sanders have struggled to appeal to. Once this became overwhelmingly apparent, the party establishment coalesced around Biden virtually overnight, and there probably aren't enough young people and Latinos to get Sanders even a plurality of delegates.
    It's a primary. The olds always turn out in force, regardless of race.

I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think you have this the wrong way 'round. The DNC fell in line and endorsed Biden on the eve of Super Tuesday. Warren stayed in and mysteriously received a shit-ton of SuperPac money. (Hmmmmmm.)

Too bad, because Biden looks like another low-energy establishment candidate with tons of baggage who will crash and burn in the general election (think Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton).
    He's worse than a low-energy establishment candidate. He's a lifelong corporate shill with a terrible voting record. Personally, I think he's a hair's breath away from Trump. Not as openly vulgar or racist, but pretty damn close.

Putting these two in a room for a "debate" will be like a bad SNL skit.

In my lifetime, the Democrats have only won when they pick relatively young, charismatic candidates like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Get ready for four more years of Trump (at least).
    Outside 2000, which was contested, they've largely gone for the candidate who promised systemic change. This includes Trump and remains a large part of his appeal.

Well. The only good thing I can say about Joe Biden is that thankfully he's not Mike Bloomberg. There are still a number of states to go, frankly it's not over til its over. But ugh... Biden is the frontrunner. And I think fear drove a lot of people to vote that way. I know my mom wants and craves that so-called "normalcy" I'm hearing about, which is why she went Biden when NH voted last month.

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Totally agree with you, the problem is that the half that's screaming isn't voting. Under 30 turnout was abysmal yesterday. I don't get it.
    I was hearing something today about the divide between Sanders and Biden being even bigger than most will admit -- like Sanders' overall message has little to no resonance with people over 45 or so. My parents find him unrealistic. Personally I like ideas a lot better than no ideas. A lot of people are also really fucking scared of new ideas vs. Trump- and that likely drove the wedge even further between the demographics.
    Last edited by Mal; 03-05-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think you have this the wrong way 'round. The DNC fell in line and endorsed Biden on the eve of Super Tuesday. Warren stayed in and mysteriously received a shit-ton of SuperPac money. (Hmmmmmm.)
    It's not clear to me that Warren is eating into Sanders' support. Most of her supporters are college-educated whites--i.e., the same people who like Kloubuchar and Buttigieg.
    Just because...

The (New) World

If the country goes Biden, I'll be relatively happy in a practical sense (SC vacancy selections, judges, non-hard-right policy decisions) but so disheartened philosophically. After four years of Trump's far-right chaos, asking if we can pretty please go back a little closer to the middle (not to the middle, mind you, or even sorta left of it) is just about the most Democratic Party thing imaginable.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The DNC loves to lose as long as they appear calm and respectable about it. Biden vs Trump isn't even Turd Sandwich vs a Giant Douche. It's two senile Giant Douches.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

There is no “DNC” or “establishment” at play. You have a single moderate candidate who finally got on level ground with the liberal candidate and blew him up. So far, Sanders has shown no ability whatsoever to break past a 30% threshold of democratic voters. He is losing massively among black voters, older voters and suburban, college-educated whites. He and Biden are on par among the workings class. Educated women are with Warren. Sanders then underdelivered on the one group he promised on — young voters, derailing his argument that he could deliver youth turnout in a general election.

To win an election, you have to build a coalition among a lot of disparate groups. If Sanders can’t deliver young voters to make up for the other groups that aren’t excited about him, then he has no business being the Democratic nominee.

I’m not bashing his ideological platform. A far left candidate can win with the right messaging. His insistence on pitting himself against a completely fabricated notion of “establishment democrats” is what’s killing him and putting off voters who have identified as Democrat their entire voting lives, like black voters in the south and suburban women. He is not breaking that 30-35% threshold until he learns that lesson or there is otherwise a seismic shift in youth voting trends.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 03-05-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    There is no “DNC” or “establishment” at play.
    Yeah. Sure. The DNC: Does it even exist?

It's just a total coincidence that Pete and Amy dropped out and endorsed Biden right before the vote. Ditto Beto, who hasn't been heard from in months.

A far left candidate can win with the right messaging.
    Any truly leftist message will never be heard on corporate networks. It's increasingly clear that if cable news doesn't back you, you're fucked.

The country has swing so far right that "let's tax corporations and regulate them" sounds radical, as does "let's provide our citizens with the same basic services that other industrialized countries do."

The current DNC line-up makes Franklin Roosevelt look like Eugene Debs.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing the Democratic Race is very much like the Presidential Election in which blue states are going for Bernie, and Red States for Biden.

With Biden likely to win the nomination, I think this bodes well in the actual election for those looking for a Democratic return to President... or at least the removal of Trump.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Forget it. Trump will win in a landslide of Reagan proportions.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I cant get much of a read this year. Literally any outcome wouldn't surprise me. If gun to my head...dems lean moderate and pick Biden. Dem voters are pissed or bored by the move. Trump wins again by a slim margin.

I think Tulsi was the only pick that couldve maybe beat Trump, but we'll never know.

Trump gets the virus and dies before June, yeah!

Think it's pretty funny that I'm starting to see some Bernie/Warren supporters share that they're going to either not vote or vote for another non-Biden nominee because their person isn't in the race anymore.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast