Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Sassy NY Times
    Speaking of the NY Times, this is now quoted in a previous reply of mine, but I'll also post it here: Russia and the U.S. Election: What We Know and Don’t Know.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-14-2016 at 06:54 AM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Although I do have to say, I think I got the lucky side of that diagram.
    Goddamn right you did. I demand a recount!

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I don't understand why a handful of people seem to insist on climbing up his ass and making him feel unwelcome every time he posts for longer a few day stretch. Not trying to jump into the fray.
    All due to my *flex* forceful posting style, baby

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm done
    Goddamn right you did. I demand a recount!
    All due to my *flex* forceful posting style, baby
    Can you stop these nonchalant poses meant to disguise the bullshit of your remarks (about Duca/Teen Vogue)? It's embarrassing, among other things. You want to diminish the obnoxious behaviour that I called you out for, that's clear, but you've already tried to do this repeatedly (and poorly), so why not desist in your provocations? My remarks to amberlita and DaMU were substantive elaborations of my points and earnestly addressed their comments, whereas your latest response amounts to another ineffective and desperate attempt at correcting the narrative, saving face, and aggressively minimizing your own actions.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-16-2016 at 08:16 AM.

- - - - -
    *flex*

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Can you stop these nonchalant poses meant to disguise the bullshit of your remarks?.
    Um, his reply to me was a flippant response to a flippant response to a flippant response in diagram form... If he isn't allowed to toss of a jokey post in those circumstances, I think we all need to pack up and go home.

In other words, chill a bit. Go and watch a movie you love, take a walk outside... whatever you need to get the love back.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Oh, Irony, thy name is Donald J. Trump.

Part of me thinks he did that because he's got a wicked sense of humor.
    That's the absolute best you can hope for at this point...
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I guess it's not surprising that Irish, someone who appears to have precipitated the departure of at least one long-existent user (he's trying to add to that tally now, right?) from this forum, and IIRC, has seemingly rejected apologies/olive branches in other cases, would now unimaginatively rely on trolling in the present circumstance. Some of these responses to my criticisms strike me as solipsistic. This is what I meant when I wrote "evading the topic via over the top indifference and other distractions." Here, the fact that I described Irish's writing style as "forceful" (as in forcefully stated, overly assertive, opinions indelicately presented as fact) is used by him to assemble an unfunny distraction.

So, if there's actual confusion about whether or not certain of my comments have a basis in reality, or if anyone feels that specific comments can be dismissed via his poor joke responses, perhaps it will help if I substantiate my argument more. This should further specify what I mean by "forcefully stated," and give you some idea of what I mean when I vaguely refer to the "excesses" of his communicative style on this forum:

- example 1 (the tone).
    - example 2 (not just this post, but the overall exchange, wherein a disagreement leads to an offered clarification/opening for amicable resolution, which is then rudely dismissed).
    - example 3 (the condescendingly worded response to Morris).
    - example 4 (this fourth one is relayed by another user; confirmed by yet another user further down the thread).
    - example 5 (in some of these examples, the comments are especially odious — like this fifth one — and therefore, "forcefully stated" is an inadequate description).
    - example 6 (the condescension of the terse, instructive tone he sometimes adopts).
    - example 7 (this is less about something "forcefully stated" than "obnoxiously worded": I'm not sure why he needed to disrespectfully refer to Tom Holland — a human being with a name, and an established actor who has starred in Wolf Hall, The Impossible, and Captain America: Civil War — as "the kid").
    - example 8 (another mean-spirited comment, this time directed at number8 — this is not the best way to respond, even if he was offended by something number8 said in the thread).
    - example 9 (it's unclear to me what point he is making here, as I'm unfamiliar with the Lewis novel, but even though it's a jest, this strikes me as an uncouth post).
    - example 10 (begins a response with an unnecessarily condescending term of address).

Note 1: That is not a ranked top 10 that is ordered in terms of severity or anything like that; the order is completely random.
    Note 2: There are two sides to every story. I'm sharing posts that I think are problematic — mostly straightforwardly problematic — but there might be other details (not necessarily extenuating or exonerating, but who knows?) worth considering for some of these (others, like #5, seem unambiguously shitty). If someone has contextual info worth sharing about these examples, or anything else I've pointed out, feel free to share it.
    Note 3: I know Irish has a history of getting his judgment and/or personality needled by brief, drop-and-go posts. I don't think the best way to deal with this is to call the other person "dim" or attack their career, etc. I don't think Irish's offence at this needling is unwarranted nor should it be diminished, though. You'd have to go case by case. Even if the needling is sometimes meant as a joke, it's possible that the repetitive nature of these comments upset him and that his irritation (but not always the specifics of his reaction) was justified. I am not trying to contribute to that history of needling by making these posts. I wanted to bring an error (the Duca/Teen Vogue comments) to his attention. I am trying to be critical, substantive, and charitable (for the failures and missteps of my messages to you Irish — here or elsewhere — I apologize). Anyway, I mostly say all of this to note that, afaik — correct me if I'm wrong — the above examples are not tied to any pre-existing acrimony between users.

For other instances of the obnoxious, smacks-of-reverse-ageism thing that cropped up again in this thread via his ignorant remarks about Duca and Teen Vogue, search within this example and this one (I'm talking about specific sections of those two posts; for example, in the latter link, it's the sentence containing a reference to MTV News).

Those are a few examples of some of the occasionally problematic aspects of his communicative style on this forum. Irish has good qualities and, of course, many of his contributions have been valuable. His writing can evince a thoughtful, principled disposition. I just think the occasional excesses of his communicative habits sometimes lead toward unwelcome results and, most recently, the unpleasant comments about Duca and Teen Vogue.

I apologize if any specific indelicacies or harshness in my posts upset anyone. At the same time (and there's a distinction here), I do not regret making my justified criticism in the first place, nor do I regret choosing to defend it.

The fact that my loquacity is often easily encouraged by trolling — a fact I readily admitted; it's a symptom of my belief in my argument, and a reaction to distasteful replies — does not in itself discredit anything, and it certainly does not refute my fundamental criticism regarding his comments about Duca and Teen Vogue.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-16-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Don't bother, Gittes. Don't feed him. If you try to tackle any of his asinine arguments, he just cowers and rolls up into a ball and post something completely unrelated to your argument. Funny, cause he tends to thrust himself on a intellectual pedestal and look down all the uneducated pleebs, yet he can only revert towards simpleton ad hominems when someone dares to challenge his crazy opinions (and yes Irish, they are opinions).

I shouldn't bait him with these posts, but these back-and-forths on these last few pages have just reminded me how tiring I find this forum now. His shrugged off insult towards Lauren Duca's professionalist career (someone who has work published on various noteworthy sites and doesn't spend time bickering on online forums) rubbed me the wrong way too and the fact he has yet to even address your initial qualms with this is just typical of him.

Oh well. He has me on ignore. He's not going to waste time replying to this. If he does , he'll probably call me a cunt again or threaten my work or education.

I got your back, Gittes. I enjoy your detailed responses. You're good people.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

- - - - -
    *flex*

I guess the conversation of message boards will break down when, in this day and age...hang with me, and say it really, really s l o w...

...president elect..........DONALD TRUMP...........is meeting up with.....KANYE WEST....because reasons.

I feel like I'm perpetually in a never ending loop of that dark part of Willy Wonka's boat ride where he broke the seven seal and summoned the dark lord of the Nth dimension or whatever fruit loops was going on in that delicious slice of madness.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    His shrugged off insult towards Lauren Duca's professionalist career (someone who has work published on various noteworthy sites and doesn't spend time bickering on online forums) rubbed me the wrong way too and the fact he has yet to even address your initial qualms with this is just typical of him.
    If one of you isn't fucking or related to Duca, you're both batshit crazy.

This is what I said, exactly:

Lauren Duca is a twenty-nothing writing for Teen Vogue (?!).
    That was followed by specific criticisms of her piece. If any of it was a slight, it wasn't an offensive one. And certainly not worth the level of vitriol that Gittes spewed afterwards.

I don't have a problem if someone contradicts my opinion. There are people here who do that all the time, and quite a few who do it well. They at least attempt to take me on good faith, and they don't make their arguments personal. But that's never something you've done, and it's not something Gittes is doing now. This is a thing because you guys made the conscious choice to make it a thing. Again. I didn't look for the conflict and I sure as hell didn't start it.

You guys want to pretend and play around and white-knight for Duca, but really this is more about taking me down a notch because, on a personal level, I bug the shit out of you. Okay, fine. You don't like me. I got it. But I think everyone -- especially me -- could do without the repeated levels of histrionic bullshit. You can't really expect me to take you seriously, or treat you with any respect, after the way you've behaved towards me. Especially you, Watashi.

I don't know what Gittes hopes to prove. If a smelly homeless guy approaches me on the street, waving his arms and shouting, I don't stop and engage him. I don't take the crazy seriously. I keep walking.

If one of you isn't fucking or related to Duca, you're both batshit crazy.
    Haha what. No less crazy than flexing your digital muscles anytime amberlita posts here. You say I like to follow you around in threads, but your infatuation with her and how she can halfway stomach your backwards logic is as obvious as my contempt towards you.

This is what I said, exactly:

I know what you said, Irish. "twenty-nothing" is the offensive part. You have disregarded her entire article because of her inexperience. The insults reeks of when Armond White said that there are no good critics under 30. You wave her off as some liberal-minded millennial looking for clicks rather than what her writing represents. This is the first article I've read of hers, it's nothing to get puffed up about.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Oh God. What have I done. Ugh. I don't want to get back into this mess. I should have just said "wtf Irish" and left.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Been thinking of printing myself a T-shirt that says "Gender identities are more important than rustbelt jobs."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh God. What have I done. Ugh. I don't want to get back into this mess. I should have just said "wtf Irish" and left.
    It's clear he'll just keep deflecting, minimizing, mischaracterizing my criticism as something it isn't, diminishing/mischaracterizing his own error, etc. There's also the possibility of more inaccurate, self-aggrandizing remarks as well desperate reliances on one studied pose or another to disguise his mistake. His approaches to the criticism are lazy, among other things (I guess we can't expect him to earnestly address his remarks with anything resembling compunction, given that he's avoided earnestly acknowledging his unpleasant error and, in other dismissive remarks, has doubled down on that error). I appreciate that you valued my point, Watashi; you were right earlier when you suggested that it's best not to expend any more energy on this, especially given the coarse cluelessness he's determined to keep on displaying in "response" to my criticism.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-15-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Yikes my last post had a lot of redundancy and typos. I know it doesn't matter, but sorry. I was in between meetings and in a rush.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Please pardon another notch in that "large stretch." I want to address your words with compunction. I realize you're not trying to get involved in the discussion I started, so you can of course feel free to move on past this comment. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for compromising your experience of this thread (that's not snark; I'm being sincere). Admittedly, I don't completely understand why any given thread cannot include objections to the content being posted. However, I do apologize that these particular diversions from the discussion became so longwinded. I'm sorry this was irksome for some of you. I don't regret believing — and still believing — that my point warranted some of the space in this thread, but it's dispiriting to read posts like the one you just made, so I do owe you an apology. I wish this had ended up being a briefer exchange. Instead, deflections on one side led to more detail on the other.

I'm glad you opted to comment on this situation without making a diminishing joke (while I don't think it's necessarily helpful, I can understand why some folks opted for that approach). I put thought and care into my original post and hoped it would elicit something less grossly dismissive from Irish. His deflections and his "I really don't give a shit, bro" responses struck me as incongruent and absurd, and my inclination at that point — to the irritation of some, to the bemusement of others, but hopefully there's something like understanding mixed in there — was to defend my point and provide more detail. I also aimed to be substantive in my replies. I don't appreciate that you reduced everything involved here to "the same old crap," but, at the same time, I understand your overall frustration.

I'm an easy mark for trolls (not saying that's what Irish acts like all the time) because I'm argumentative and, when I believe in a point and it's poorly challenged, I often think it's worthwhile to supply more detail and explanation, rather than just opting out of the discussion entirely. I have allergies to condescension, too. As to the reasons why Irish receives negative attention: if you're earnestly wondering, I think I made it clear why it happened in this instance, and others have offered thoughts about why it has happened in other situations. There are many examples of his skirmishes with many folks on this forum (nearly everyone?), and those can probably be examined to yield an understanding of how his occasionally combustible temperament and, at times, uncharitably forceful writing style might be key factors in some of those blowups. Does that mean he has never received unfair responses on this forum? No. You have to consider the context of each situation. In this case, his communicative style provided us with a mean-spirited quip about Duca and Teen Vogue.
    You did put a lot of thought and care into your original post. But you also put subtle digs. As someone who has dissected Irish's posting style quite a bit in this thread, you must claim to be someone who understands that style very well, and the response you posted is emblematic in my opinion of how these forays get started. There's good content, but you know exactly how to push his buttons. So you dressed up some insults on him (the dig about his obsession with his forum reputation is obvious to me a euphamistic attempt to call him a loser) and when he responds badly it's all "Irish won't respond to my argument". And then the people who don't like him smell blood in the water and come to run wing-man for you. I'm not defending Irish or his posting style. It doesn't always rub me the right way but more importantly I'm sure he doesn't want or need me to do that. I'm just trying to point out that perhaps his Problem he seems to pose to many of you may have as much to do with your own way of processing disagreement and posting style as his own, evidenced by the fact that a number of people here are able to engage with him without it devolving into a forum scrap. I'm sure none of what I said will really matter and that's fine. But I rarely pass up an opportunity to complain about minor nuisances in my life (like having to wade through these inane spats to get to the stuff I find genuinely interesting to read).

To the recent topic of the thread: this election has taught me exactly why so many people who voted for Trump had a dystopian outlook on the last 8 years. My Facebook feed has been filled with rampant negativity and while I agree with their stance on most of these issues, I'm sick of the tone. If it lasts the next 4 years, which I suspect it will, doesn't matter what the actual state of the country is at that point. The diagnosis will have been made and liberals will be declaring how the country has turned to shit.

That all seems obvious in hindsight. Happens every time one party loses and needs power back the next election. But I dunno...just had some clarity on it of late.

Haha what. No less crazy than flexing your digital muscles anytime amberlita posts here. You say I like to follow you around in threads, but your infatuation with her and how she can halfway stomach your backwards logic is as obvious as my contempt towards you.
    In fairness, I think a hard look at the trends would deduce the opposite conclusion.

- - - - -
    If anybody needs me, I'll be over here in the corner, flexing in a completely non-performative way

*flex*

Do you post anywhere else these days, Watashi?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is a response to amberlita's recent post. Since she read through my previous post and took the time to offer a response, I'd like to reply. Be aware that this necessarily means referring to the argument with Irish, which amberlita's post also addresses. She raised points that I think it would be useful to talk about and clarify, as this might improve everyone's (well, those who are interested) understanding of the situation. If some of the folks here no longer have any interest in the argument, that's fine — I'd prefer to move on, as well — but I'm inclined to think a reply is warranted here.

Bolding and hiding to compensate for length:

[
    ]
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-16-2016 at 08:30 AM.

But yeah -- my understanding was that you don't go with a story unless you have two independent confirmations, and preferable one or both of them is "on the record." This CIA thing was a anonymous leak, and it was a leak that had political shades to it.

I think they Washington Post didn't have the story, and publishing it on the heels of the PropOrNot thing was irresponsible.
    You generally don't. But good luck reporting on intelligence agencies with on the record sources. There are certain areas where the press's options are to use anonymous sources or not report the story at all. Reporters have to decide whether not reporting the story at all is doing a disservice to the public. You would still want at least two independent trusted sources. Maybe in this case the Post shouldn't have gone with it (I personally don't have a problem with it, subsequent reporting by the NY Times seems to back their story up. Though you're right, "hack the election" is a shitty phrase. They hacked the DNC and released information in an attempt to affect the outcome of the election), but there are cases where I think anonymous sourcing is absolutely necessary. Much (most?) of Watergate was reported with anonymous sourcing.

I just balk at the characterization of, in my opinion, the two best papers in the country as grimy because of jittering meters and one regrettable story on PropOrNot.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Do you post anywhere else these days, Watashi?
    Forum-wise? No. I'm mostly posting Disney stuff on Facebook and sometimes tweeting at critics on Twitter.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

*flex*
    *flex*
    Gilly ......................

[
    ]
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The problem is Irish wants to talk about things and Gittes wants to talk about Irish. Irish does not want to talk about Gittes and Gittes doesn't want to talk about things. Please stop pretending like there's a dialogue going on. I like you both.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast