Thread: The Match Cut Presidential Dog and Pony Show

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I think some of us have been around for a longer time and better know how to interact with each other and when to take things seriously.
    Please don't diminish the validity of my point by assuming forum-specific, social maladjustment. Irish is someone whose posts I've been reading for years now. That's why I can refer to what I perceive as — deliberate or otherwise — shades of reverse ageism in some of his other posts (this is a more recent detection of mine; IIRC, the post I took issue with in this thread is the most flagrant example of those shades). It's also why I can comment on other aspects like the monotonously forceful and merciless way he frequently expresses himself (I first observed this a while ago). Some of the characteristics of his style do not pair well with, for instance, what could have otherwise been a straightforward, respectful expression of dislike about an article. Through Irish's emphatic lens, that expression acquired a few unwelcome appendages. It should have been about the content, but he unjustifiably made a cruel comment about a writer because of her age and his close-minded estimation of Teen Vogue.

EDIT: DaMU — I reread this and I'm now not entirely sure that my opening sentence is a fair reading of your post. I actually don't know what to make of your post. The "when to take things seriously" bit does seem to indicate that you believe I shouldn't have taken something seriously here, but I won't probe that since it's a vague point within your sentence. My apologies if I misconstrued your intended meaning and if my reply was unwarranted as a result.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-16-2016 at 08:15 AM.