4 33.33%
  • Nay

8 66.67%

Thread: The Visit (M. Night Shyamalan)

The Visit (M. Night Shyamalan)

THE VISIT

Director: M. Night Shyamalan

imdb

When talking about M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening, the reason this movie is so entertaining is because it's so unintentionally hilarious. The key word there being unintentional. As in, they tried to make a legit straight horror flick, but failed spectacularly at it. However, if that movie was fully aware of how ridiculous it was, a lot of the entertainment value would be lost, as that entertainment value, the "comedy" in the movie, would suddenly not work the same anymore.

For another example, imagine if, say, The Room, was aware of itself. In fact, Tommy Wiseau has since tried making movie that attempted to recreate The Room's, er, "comedy", only this time he was actively trying to create that bizarre comedy that only worked 'cause he failed so spectacularly at playing it straight. And sure enough, in those subsequent movies of his, that same brand of unintentional comedy, now fully intentional, just doesn't work anymore.

All of this to explain to you why M. Night Shyamalan's new movie The Visit ultimately doesn't work.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    MC. Shyamalan is back.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Totally disagree that the humor was unintentional. It's so made to be laughed at. And that kid actor steals the show.

The only thing I disliked was the in your face backstories coming to fruition late in the movie. (looking in the mirror, tackling on the football field)

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Totally disagree that the humor was unintentional. It's so made to be laughed at. And that kid actor steals the show.

The only thing I disliked was the in your face backstories coming to fruition late in the movie. (looking in the mirror, tackling on the football field)
    Er, re-read my post, didn't say it was unintentional in this movie.

Er, re-read my post, didn't say it was unintentional in this movie.
    Gotcha. My bad.

This was terrible. I did all the hard work of skipping The Airbender and After Earth, and this is my reward? Tedious found footage concept, flat characters, no scares, failed humor...there is nothing here. I prefer The Happening, because at least that is bat-shit crazy awful. This is just a vacuum.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    This was terrible. I did all the hard work of skipping The Airbender and After Earth, and this is my reward? Tedious found footage concept, flat characters, no scares, failed humor...there is nothing here. I prefer The Happening, because at least that is bat-shit crazy awful. This is just a vacuum.
    Baby steps. It's much better than Air Bender, After Earth, the Happening and Lady in the Water... so it's his best since the Village... which is crazy how long ago that was. Devil was actually decent as well as he wrote it but didn't direct it.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I thought this was his best since Signs! What a surprise. It plays very much like commentary/mix-tape of his prior films, not just with the fresh-faced Moppets. It's like Existenz or Ghosts of Mars (films I both enjoyed). The climax repeats the past-comes-back redemptions of Signs but with an understanding of the absurdity (the boy's suffering is a joke, his revenge complete with his hip-hop derived braggadocio). It offers another Village-style forbidden shed - one that's full of crap, go figure. The grandparents' stories of creatures plays like a riff on the arcana of The Lady in the Water. And the combination of humor and horror smoothed together much more effectively than The Happening.

But even without that spot-the-parallel stuff, the film holds interest. The camera work rarely annoys, the one or two jump-scares actually land. And so many moments hit that sweet spot of where they inspire uneasy giggles of disbelief; the shotgun in the mouth, the buttcheek. I honestly can't say why the boy's rapping and the girl's faux-film-student crap didn't annoy me. Maybe because the boy clearly loved rhyming (it didn't feel like just a pose) and the girl's vocab did feel like someone who absorbed a Bordwell textbook and understanding maybe a fifth of it - her comment on "organic swinging" was kind of adorable.

Additionally, the twist here is a nice surprise that doesn't go for earth-shattering reversal. It's more grim surprise.

It was great fun seeing this with a crowd. They were laughing at a lot of the goofier scares early on but completely silent and engaged during the suspense at the end. One guy coming out of the theater said, "Man, I'm so mixed up, it was funny but scary and then really nice at the end."

Damn, I wish you guys liked it more. :/
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-09-2015 at 05:03 AM.

It is close to the worst of the 140 odd films I've seen this year, unfortunately.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

140 films? Good God, man.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    140 films? Good God, man.
    Not new releases, obv.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Not new releases, obv.
    Still, that's a like a movie every other day. I don't know if I should shake your hand or shake you silly.

And I haven't seen one in the last month. I do get 20 weeks paid vacation a year, so that helps....
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Voted nay, but with loads of regrets.

Three quarters of this is brilliant. It's easily Shyamalan's best in the last decade, if not longer. The level of technical skill here is dazzling. He gets a lot of mileage and some really nice set ups out of the restrictive found footage format (even though he sorta cheats at the end). The humor is spot-on and very funny. There's a decent amount of pathos at work from what is, admittedly, slim material. The actors are all good and the two kids are ace.

But it's also M Knight so I spent most of the run waiting for our favorite director to shit the bed. Maybe he doesn't go as far as he has in the past -- I was half expecting Grandma and Grandpa to turn out to be space aliens or sentient plants -- but he comes close.

My problem is exactly at the reveal, and for about 20 minutes.

[
    ]

Once the movie snap backs into place, it's good again. (And the end credit crawl is just a funny bonus).

Had a big idiotic grin on my face for the entire duration of this movie. No way that's bad.

I was pleasantly surprised by the shifts in tone, by the way. I liked that the ending was more sentimental than Horror.

This was complete and utter garbage.

The worst I have seen from Shyamalan thus far.

Do not understand it's fan base at all.

Writing is horrid through and through. Just awful stuff.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Producer
    Turns out I probably didn't watch this all the way through back in 2015 but in bits and pieces, which judged by half-a-star drop would be the best approach to go. Shyamalan's formal craft means he manages to utilize the found-footage style for some effective set-pieces (hide-and-seek, oven cleaning), but that style still seems mighty restraining on what he could achieve with this material, and without his full directorial signature in between we're left with these kids' characters and performances. The closing credit almost makes me want the grandpa to shove [redacted] into the boy's face again. 5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5