Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

19 90.48%
  • Nay

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ant-Man (Peyton Reed)

I liked it better than Guardians. It's got cute crawling out of every crevice. I liked the size/ant sequences a lot and Pena just as much. Stoll is good and hammy/twitchy. Rest is easygoing. Last 20-25 minutes is just tons of fun.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    It's got cute crawling out of every crevice.
    This better be the quote on the dvd cover.

Yeah, we really enjoyed this. I agree with lots of the criticism, but overall it's a solid take on a difficult to market property from Marvel. Do I wish that we got a more daring, inventive version? Yes. Does it matter, really? No.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I liked it better than Guardians. It's got cute crawling out of every crevice. I liked the size/ant sequences a lot and Pena just as much. Stoll is good and hammy/twitchy. Rest is easygoing. Last 20-25 minutes is just tons of fun.
    Same here. I found it funnier and the mission more engaging.

1. The Avengers
    2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    3. Ant-Man

A huge breath of fresh air in this typically bombastic, and super-sized genre.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I thought this was excellent, probably the best Marvel movie so far, or at least close. Morris' Top 3 there is pretty good.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Loved that shot in the bedroom at the end when his daughter sees a little Ant-Man shadow behind the lamp jumping to safety.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Its direction is uneven, and with that came hit-and-miss humor, but when it hits, it hits. Paul Rudd was great, the action sequences are not only very entertaining, but also imaginative and pretty to look at. LOVED everything in the Quantum Realm, and if 8's citation of Feige is true, if my excitement for Doctor Strange wasn't through the roof before, it is now. Hell, at least to me, there's a lot to be excited about in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Yeah, it's all a bit rough in the assembly (not a surprise, I guess) but it's still the most fun I've had in the MCU after maybe Guardians. This is the first time I actually enjoyed a Marvel film for its special effects (the shrinking/expanding scenes are clever and fun, and a big part of the draw) as opposed to just sitting there rolling my eyes (e.g. the entire opening of Avengers 2). Ant-Man going subatomic (and the way that was tied into The Wasp's fate) is one of the best things they've done in the MCU after, again, Guardians in general (that's the kind of stuff I want in my comic book movies).

A mild yay, and I'll be keeping an eye on Doctor Strange (not sure I care about the Civil War stuff but we'll see).
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

The third best of the series so far behind Guardians of the Galaxy and the first Avengers, and just ahead of Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier. (These being the only five I'd want to watch again, I think).
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    I liked each individual piece of this but didn't think much of the overall movie. The special effects are all terrific. There's lots of imagination -- the briefcase, the train set, the dance club at the beginning -- but it's crammed into a typical Marvel package. It's like they wanted to do G-rated action and didn't have any ideas so they just whipped out Hero with a Thousand Faces and started typing the script.

The biggest issue was that the movie isn't really about Scott. It's about Hank Pym. The backstory starts with Hank and he makes all the choices that drive the narrative. Too often -- I'd say for at least two-thirds of the runtime -- Scott felt like a supporting character when the assumption is that he's the hero. That's weird. It feels off. I had a similar gripe about Ang Lee's Hulk, where that movie wasn't about Bruce Banner but his father.

Michael Pena comes very close to stealing the movie. I grinned like an idiot every time he launched into one of his stories. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire thing about that character and his goofball band of thieves.

I like what 8 said about how Ant-Man is really about stuff that happens in this universe. I wish Marvel had done more of that -- like, hey this isn't about world shaking destruction but about solving one teeny tiny little problem over here.

In terms of ranking in the MCU, there's only one thing to remember: Cap rules, others drool.

As far as Civil War is concerned, I will give Marvel all my money if they give me a scene where Cap punches Tony in the face.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The third best of the series so far behind Guardians of the Galaxy and the first Avengers, and just ahead of Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier. (These being the only five I'd want to watch again, I think).
    I wouldn't have IM3 in there, but otherwise we would have the same films in the top four. Yes I liked Ant-Man that much. So much fun. It was just damn genius to make a B character take on a smaller fight like a heist movie. These movies keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger...how many times can you save the world before it holds no meaning? This was just wonderful. So much better than Avengers 2.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The biggest issue was that the movie isn't really about Scott. It's about Hank Pym. The backstory starts with Hank and he makes all the choices that drive the narrative. Too often -- I'd say for at least two-thirds of the runtime -- Scott felt like a supporting character when the assumption is that he's the hero. That's weird. It feels off.
    Hank Pym IS Ant Man, though, so I'm not sure why that's an issue, other than its going against your personal expectations. Resisting viewer assumptions is a good thing, IMO. Instead of it being another Marvel movie about a young(ish) hunky male superhero protagonist (which it is anyway), it can be read as a movie about what happens when a superhero ages and has to get help. Scott is his surrogate. He controls him much like he controls the Ants.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    The film feels a little rushed, in that I rarely felt like emotional moments got quite the amount of time and attention they deserve. The film even cobbles together the training montage and heist montage for fear of slowing down too much. Would've been happy to spend even just 30 more seconds in the quantum realm, get a deeper sense of how weird and alien it is. Hearing his daughter whining his name kinda ruins the effect... and makes no sense when I think about it - how could sound even vibrate into his ear at that level, let alone be audible as speech? That also gets into the issue of how the film somehow wants the heroes to have the compacted power of full-size humans but seems to ignore that whenever a dismissive swat would be funny (and admittedly yes, the ping pong paddle swat is very funny).

Corey Still is a decent villain, a sociopath from the word "go," but his motivations and hangups are rote at this point. The fresher element is the bumbling heist team, which is satisfyingly cartoon and broad in the same way the scientist duo in "Pacific Rim" was - especially Pena, who makes a strong argument for the first non-superhero Marvel spinoff. Rudd and Lilly are fine, but I'll have to wait for Ant-Man 2 to see them get the full attention they deserve. I mean, the scenes with Rudd and his daughter carry about as much weight as the scene where Antony dies.

Can't help feeling a bit how Seitz feels about these movies, stuff smashing into stuff, the whole linking thing just being a big puzzle made of square pieces. Also, it is to the detriment of Hollywood that they continue to cast Judy Greer as distant moms. Someone strap this woman in a suit. And Pena. And then make it about them going on a date or something. Anything. It's time to start using this paradigm to challenge filmgoers instead of satiate them.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 01-02-2016 at 06:34 AM.

I went back and found the Red Queen hidden in the Quantum realm. That was pretty cool.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Heh, it is basically the same plot as the first Iron Man

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I went back and found the Red Queen hidden in the Quantum realm. That was pretty cool.
    Huh? Can you tell me where?

Fun movie, although one can't help but constantly imagine what the Wright version would have been like. Agreed that Michael Peña is the funniest supporting character.

Sorry not the Red Queen. The Wasp.

But the imagery can be found at 3:23

Wow. You spotted that on your own?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Wow. You spotted that on your own?
    Yeh, There was an interview with Peyton Reed right after the movie hit theaters where he hinted something was in the quantum realm. So on my second viewing I went and feverishly searched for it. It's quite easy to see when you know you're looking for something. At the time of my first viewing I was too mystified by the effects.

Not movie related but I thought this was funny.

https://www.amazon.com/HASEGAWA-6200...%5Bb%7Cgizmodo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12