Thread: Orange Is The New Black (Season 3)

Orange Is The New Black (Season 3)

Finished.

I definitely felt they got back to some of the light-heartedness that made Season 1 so good. It was also a huge relief to see them divert from the "Big Bad" structure that they handled so poorly in Season 2. Here, the first 10 or so episodes are really excellent in dealing with compelling minutae. It also felt like there was less message-y pontificating throughout ...at least early on.

Unfortunately, the last few episodes just didn't land well at all for me. The Sophia storyline was a little too on-the-nose and soapy. I really enjoyed Piper's arc early on, but by the end, they were basically writing a bush league version of Breaking Bad. The Norma stuff just became completely absurd. The storylines involving the Doughnut Guard and Alex Voss seem like ones that should have been resolved within a season, so it was a little annoying that both got left on cliffhangers. Also, those cliffhangers came about 15-20 minutes too early ... so, we could get 10 minutes of narratively insignificant lake swimming? Odd choice.

Anyway, still a significant improvement over the previous season. I laughed and felt things. I think having less of Bennett and Larry worked in the show's favor this year. Need more Cal/Piper interaction.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Do they talk less about their vagina's in this season?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I definitely felt they got back to some of the light-heartedness that made Season 1 so good. It was also a huge relief to see them divert from the "Big Bad" structure that they handled so poorly in Season 2.
    I'm only halfway through because I had to finish Sense8 first, but yeah, totally agree with this. I definitely didn't like the added elements of danger and violence in the second season, so it's a huge relief that it's back to the really funny low stakes interactions of the first season.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    This was definitely my favorite season. Great character moments for Suzanne, Tastee, the Pennsatucky and Big Boo combo and they took Piper in a interesting direction there at the end. Some of the flashbacks were cringeworthy but for the most part they helped give a little backstory to some of the lesser featured characters like Chang. That lake scene is probably my favorite scene of the series so far.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+