Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: True Detective (Season 2)

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I remember hearing them talk about the guy but I did not understand the bolded portion at all during the episode. I'm not sure if I missed it because I wasn't paying enough attention or I was just confused at who everyone was. I was also incredibly confused about Tim Riggins dick and I want to know now.
    To be fair, I think they didn't make it clear until the very last scene that sunglasses guy was him. I just remember understanding that Colin Farrell was looking for the city manager throughout the episode and then at the end he shows up at the crime scene and goes, "Yep, this is my missing person."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Um.

Huh.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Well.

How 'bout that.

[
    ]
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 06-29-2015 at 04:25 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

- - - - -
    There's a distinct possibility this might be a terrible show.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Um.

Huh.
    Yup. Can't believe the mystery of Taylor Kitch's dick has already been solved.

[
    ]

Not feeling that confident in this show right now. When W Earl Brown showed up, I kind of wished he was one of the protagonists instead.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Yup. Can't believe the mystery of Taylor Kitch's dick has already been solved.
    Pretty poorly handled. They could not be shouting "GET IT? GET WHAT HE IS?" any louder.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm really happy about the image of the shooter, though. I also thought that this season was gonna be more Ellroy and drops the weird fiction aspect, so kinky creepy masked killer was a welcome sight.
    Movie Theater Diary

The girlfriend/ex-wife scenes were pretty bad. They had Kitsch's girlfriend and Farrell's ex-wife basically repeat the same things over and over again. It's a shame because I thought Michelle Monaghan's integration into Season 1 was one of the best things about it.

I don't know about that ending. I originally thought it conveyed finality, but the promos suggest we haven't seen everything yet.

[
    ]
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Rock salt bullets. You heard it here first.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Rock salt bullets. You heard it here first.
    Why the second shot then?

Why the second shot then?
    To render him unconscious, I suppose. The first shot only seemed to stun him.

[
    ]

He's probably not, but a lot of things in that second episode did have a ring of finality to them that made it sensible for me for it to be his exit: [
    ]

Also, I do see the narrative machinations of it. [
    ]

And on a meta level, I think it can be an interesting statement because [
    ]
    Movie Theater Diary

Also goes to the original idea that it would be a male and female as the main detectives in the show.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This show is boring and bad, yet I will still keep watching. Product of an ego unchecked. That Cary Fukunaga stand-in...

Nice to see Fred Ward in something though. Where's that guy been?
    Last edited by Winston*; 07-06-2015 at 10:30 AM.

That Cary Fukunaga stand-in...
    Oy.

I think I also miss the humor. Marty was a sad sack, but he brought a lot of pithy liners that made him a good foil for Rust. These three are all so dour, and Velcoro's attempts at humor are just dumb ("Feels like sucking a robot's dick").
    Movie Theater Diary

Everyone also talks so quietly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    This is an 8 episode season, isn't it?

I've lost track how many times they repeated the same information (Kitch's character is a closet case, etc) without advancing the main plot at all.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Oy.

I think I also miss the humor. Marty was a sad sack, but he brought a lot of pithy liners that made him a good foil for Rust. These three are all so dour, and Velcoro's attempts at humor are just dumb ("Feels like sucking a robot's dick").
    Then they call back the e-cigarette thing with Kitsch this episode.

Season one did such a great job playing to its leads' strengths. Season two feels like it's burying them. Vaughan and Farrell are a their best playing charismatic wiseasses, yet all this season gives them to do is glower at various people and objects.

Would prefer to see the Farrell from Fright Night in this kind of story

I'm still enjoying this for varying reasons, but it's definitely veering into being enjoyably bad at a higher frequency. They are having a hard time distinguishing the voices. Last season, Pizzolatto's linguistic indulgences were channeled mostly through Rust Cohle, who was playing off Harrelson's eye-rolling cop. The show really misses that flippant presence. I'm really starting to understand how much Harrelson brought to S1. His perspective made Cohle's musings more digestible. This year, however, everyone is Cohle, and no one is there to be like "dude..." Never more apparent than that ridiculous "stridency"/"apoplectic" exchange between Farrell and Vaughn.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I'm still enjoying this for varying reasons, but it's definitely veering into being enjoyably bad at a higher frequency. They are having a hard time distinguishing the voices. Last season, Pizzolatto's linguistic indulgences were channeled mostly through Rust Cohle, who was playing off Harrelson's eye-rolling cop. The show really misses that flippant presence. I'm really starting to understand how much Harrelson brought to S1. His perspective made Cohle's musings more digestible. This year, however, everyone is Cohle, and no one is there to be like "dude..." Never more apparent than that ridiculous "stridency"/"apoplectic" exchange between Farrell and Vaughn.
    Yeah, I thought that McAdams would be bringing a sort of Woody-ish personality to the table, but that's not really the case. Kitsch is always just out of place here, with the repetition of scenes over and over.

Vaughn's charisma has been thrown away so far. I'd like the idea of him being one-note and professional when he needs to be, if he got to be the cocky/over-the-top when the doors are closed, but he's mostly just kinda boring all around. He should've had a solid scene with his fight, but it was pretty tame.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Vaughn's charisma has been thrown away so far. I'd like the idea of him being one-note and professional when he needs to be, if he got to be the cocky/over-the-top when the doors are closed, but he's mostly just kinda boring all around. He should've had a solid scene with his fight, but it was pretty tame.
    The only scene where he really livens up is when he's harassing that guy on the side of the motorway the previous episode.

That fight was ridiculous. Maybe intentionally? I don't know know with this show anymore.

I gave the show too much credit for the first two episodes. Well shot, great mood, nice pieces of music... Was wary of the characters, figuring that there was good stuff to come.

Three episodes in, and there's not a hint of intrigue like there was from Matt/Woody's season, and they were on their way to having the episode of the season in number four. There was a sense of buildup to that. If episode four is as sleepy as this week, I might be done with it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's frustrating because you can imagine a good show in this setting with these production values, and the interplay between Farrell as bitter and sarcastic loner, Vaughn as a smooth talking career criminal losing his grip on his empire, Kitsch as a Dudley Do-Right type and McAdams as an overzealous cop with a chip on her shoulder. It's not like the elements aren't there.

Auteurism be damned, I feel like Pizzolatto needs to get some other writers around to check him on his excesses and focus his narrative. Someone to say "maybe there are more effective ways to open this episode than Vince Vaughn giving a five minute monologue about killing a rat" or "does this scene have any purpose other than to say a public fuck you to last year's director?".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast