Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

24 88.89%
  • Nay

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inside Out (Pete Docter)

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Sure I'm not the only one who got some serious Totoro vibes.
    With Bing Bong...

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    With Bing Bong...

yup, the whole [
    ]
    Last edited by KK2.0; 06-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Quoting KK2.0 (view post)
    yup, the whole [
    ]
    Exactly.
    [
    ]
    I dont know about that one. I think I need to rewatch that scene.

Also, relevant:
    []

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    (I can't imagine the reveal of a big two-story house with a fireplace being characterized as a dump resonated much with people in big cities—I actually cringed at that bit).
    I'm with Wats about this. It's through the eyes of an 11-year-old. Of course she's gunna view it as a dump (and maybe her parents too). I live here (here being the Bay) and you really don't get a lot of bang for your buck, if you are able to find a place at all. Anyway, everyone is obsessed with real estate bullshit around here. I will say (and I'm sure it's due to their Emeryville digs) that Pixar gets San Francisco way more than Woody Allen. Also, considering I saw this in Oakland (where I live) I'm so glad they didn't make the easy "Oakland is scary!" storyline that almost seemed to be coming at one point. I could sense the whole audience bracing themselves for that, but thankfully (again probably due to them being in Emeryville) it never happened.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

This was genial and smoothly digestible, if simple. Lol puberty, tho, amirite? amirite? amirite? *grins and winks and repeatedly elbows ribs of person next to me, even if a stranger* The abstract chamber was nearly the only truly great moment.

Pixar continues its slide, imo. The dinosaur thing doesn't much look like it'll leave the path being aggressively blazed either. I keep waiting for the one that stuns me again, like how I thought Wall-E looked ridiculous but was wowed in the theater. Still waiting...

Fuck that Lava garbage though.
    Last edited by Wryan; 07-04-2015 at 03:26 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Also, who the shit let a little girl on the bus to another state by herself? Get your shit together, San FranDogville.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Yeah, I thought this tried too hard to be smart and emotional, and only mildly delivered on both. Also, took my girls(6 and 2) and they were mostly bored throughout.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

It's generally good and the Bing Bong material was surprisingly effective for me (though I deeply wish his character design didn't look so out there), but the core message seems oddly childish and simple-minded. It's difficult to believe that Joy wouldn't have experienced this lesson by now. While the film does a decent job showing how she's generally the lead agent in determining emotions, the lesson feels more attuned to a younger character, not an 11-year-old.

When the film goes experimental with it's animation style it's quite fun. But I wish the film had avoided showing others' emotional processes as they reduced each character's emotional state to a stock joke.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I thought it was very sophisticated. There are plenty of 30 year olds who have not learned that lesson.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I thought it was very sophisticated. There are plenty of 30 year olds who have not learned that lesson.
    I agree. This feels like a companion piece to Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky actually.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I thought the emotional message was effective, and the design of Riley's mind and its inner workings was very clever but....I don't know...getting there is a bit of a chore at times. It was one of the least funny Pixar films and the actual narrative drive is super slight, with a rather prosaic goal (get home!) with repetitive obstacles (oh, one of the islands collapsed again just at the wrong time) mixed with bunch of easy audience massage points (Heh heh, that's how dreams are made, heh heh that's why we forget things). I actually liked the zooming into other characters' heads as it hinted at a more anarchic, less micromanaged version of the story.

Oh, and they did show Lava here. Meh.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Enjoyable enough for me, but a lot of the jokes and events seem repetitive and overdone. Of course Joy's mission to return home would conveniently be extended at each island, almost always under the same circumstances.

The movie is at its best when it remains in the mind for a longer period, such as trying to wake her up, or being in the abstract world. I wish it remained there the entire time instead of showing events in the outside world, and especially in the minds of other people, where the entire mind seems one-note, and everyone's always present in the HQ.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    What did I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

What didn't I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

Final thoughts: I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.
    This.

It was refreshing to see Pixar back at it, but not nearly as good as Rat, Up, Wall-E or Finding Nemo.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Really affecting. If I have a complaint, it's that the bare story isn't really that interesting. It doesn't seem driven by anything that the characters do, and the consistent run of random obstacles gets a little tedious. Still, I came out of it with really good vibes.

My major mistake was saving Lava for afterward rather than watching it beforehand. So gross and left a bitter taste in my mouth on the overall experience.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I get that Lava is not top tier Pixar, but did everyone really hate it all that much? I'm not going to defend it, I'm just a bit puzzled as to why it causes so much hatred.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I get that Lava is not top tier Pixar, but did everyone really hate it all that much? I'm not going to defend it, I'm just a bit puzzled as to why it causes so much hatred.
    I liked it. *shrug*

Yes. It's garbage.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's not garbage, it's fine. The only aspect about it I didn't particularly like is that the female volcano had to be such a clear cut attractive woman, where as the male volcano is, well, a fucking volcano. I thought that did detract things a bit, and it woulda been far stronger had the female volcano just similarly been a plain old volcano as well.

But other than that, the song was nice and catchy, and as the story played along, it actually played with your emotions, as you really felt for the volcano. And, honestly, for a moment there I was curious if they were actually going to go with the tragic ending. And it wasn't just me, there were people audibly crying during this short at every viewing I saw, so it accomplished its job in that regard. Of course, they didn't go with the tragic ending, but even so, I can't say that I minded the happy ending either, as it left off with a nice warm feeling, coming full circle.

I also felt it was a very fitting placement to play in front of Inside Out, with the way it plays with one's emotions, sorta a way to prepare everyone for the real emotional roller coaster that was to come.

So yeah, sure, it wasn't their best, but it was still a perfectly fine, heart warming short, and certainly not fucking garbage.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Garbage. Garbage made by sewage people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12