Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hannibal (Season 3)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Hannibal (Season 3)

Maybe my favourite drama on television in any form at this point. Easily one of the most grippingly atmospheric, visually sumptuous, and all around staggering works of any medium in the last several years for me.

Let's go.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Gillian Anderson is the most beautiful woman on the planet.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Damn, how does this show keep topping itself?

Last night's episode was a spectacular slowburn, teasingly refusing to answer any of last season's cliffhangers...yet.

I detect a definite shift in the show's tone so far, evidenced by the fact that this was about as avant-garde as mainstream television dares to go. If you didn't know better, you'd swear this was a cable show.

Hannibal is definitely art-house for the small screen.

The best decision they made was making Gillian Anderson a regular cast member.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Last night's episode was a spectacular slowburn, teasingly refusing to answer any of last season's cliffhangers...yet.

I detect a definite shift in the show's tone so far, evidenced by the fact that this was about as avant-garde as mainstream television dares to go. If you didn't know better, you'd swear this was a cable show.

Hannibal is definitely art-house for the small screen.
    Yes to all of this. Only when Anderson had her plunging bathtub dream, and I thought "Wait, does she have pasties on--" was I pulled back to reality to remember this aired on NBC in primetime. It's nuts. Such a fine hour of any TV, but also so unique even for this show.

I did laugh out loud and was taken out of (solely due to personal experience) the moment where Hannibal pulls up his motorcycle to a hotel in France since I had just walked by it about a week ago. It is a hotel, just located in Toronto, across from an Old Spaghetti Factory, some tourist-y bars, and has a convenience store attached not too far from where the character parks.

Movie Magic! - for the small screen

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I have always liked this show, but this season is taking itself to a whole new level. It's so beautiful, and metaphorical, and stylized. It's a gorgeous, bloody fever dream, and I'm loving it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This season continues amazing.

Also, Hannibal's jacket game continues to be on-freaking-point.

...and the milk's in me.

And to those who say this show has no sense of humor, I would point to this exchange:

Hannibal to Bedelia: "Well, technically..."

In that same scene, Mikkelsen's delivery of "That may have been impulsive" made me giggle.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Well fuck.

NBC has cancelled it. They promise tol show the remaining ten episodes as scheduled.

I mean even if they knew even earlier than now, they really had to be huge buzzkills and tell us this early in the season? Their cancellation essentially means their revoking their further participation in it, since it has a ton of international money and production companies outside of them that could easily keep it going.

Still sucks. I hope the best for Fuller here, since his past series haven't had much luck of revivals.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I am very surprised to hear that a lot of fans are not liking this season and calling it boring. It made me realize a lot of people were liking the show for the airport paperback thriller aspects and not the elements I love about it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I am very surprised to hear that a lot of fans are not liking this season and calling it boring. It made me realize a lot of people were liking the show for the airport paperback thriller aspects and not the elements I love about it.
    Oh, yeah, I've thought the first three episodes of the season were kinda exhilarating, exactly because they've delved even further into the dreamy morbidity of everything as a means of telling the story purely through visual/aural means, rather than getting bogged down with exposition and procedural narrative stuff. That sort of reaction really does surprise me, to the point that I'd like to see where you're seeing it.

The more ethereal stylistic muscles of it have been the thing I've adored most about the show from the start, so I've been so happy how it's built itself around those aspects more and more foundationally. Who wants any sense of reality with this show when it can do fantasy so well?

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Look at the top comments: http://www.reddit.com/r/television/c...eled_hannibal/

It's not isolated, either. It's a common sentiment if you read the comments on the premiere's reviews.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I am not surprised, nor am I particularly disappointed (kudos to NBC for actually delivering three full seasons of this madness). Because of the international cash flow (and the show's success overseas) I think Fuller will be able to find another domestic partner (NetFlix, Showtime, etc) with whom they can continue the production.

And hey, if not? I'll still have three seasons on blu-ray of one of the the most immaculately-produced and phenomenally-art directed series that has ever come across my radar.

And it was truly a glorious, once-in-a-lifetime type of experience.

You never watched it? I hate it for you...

My God that fight scene.

Jesus, that episode was insane!

I think that might be my favorite episode they've ever done. Was every single person on drugs?

Gillian Anderson is a goddess.

Oh, and kaleidoscopic lesbian sex ftw!

Producer
    And referencing Pet Sematary and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover in the same night? Someone please saves this show.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

The changes from the canon's timeline are really throwing me for a loop (in a very good way).
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    I think Will needs to make new friends. So far the following has happened to him:
    • Thrown off a train
    • Had his head sliced open
    • Shot in the shoulder
    • Had a brain infection
    • Was wrongly accused of a crime and imprisoned.

Anything missing?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

His stomach was torn open.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Ah yes, knew I forgot something. Isn't that the only thing Hannibal did to him in the books?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    His stomach was torn open.
    During which time, he was forced to watch his surrogate daughter get her throat slit.

And this all happened after he was force-fed one of her ears.

Will definitely needs some new friends.

Just noticed that NBC has moved Hannibal (and Aquarius) to Saturday.

New episode tonight!

Producer
    Well that was some kind of deranged, and just great. My favorite of the season so far.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I guess we're finally entering the Red Dragon portion of the season.

Honestly, I'm starting to think this version of the timeline where the events of Hannibal happens pre Lecter's capture works best. I always thought his escape in Silence of the Lambs was kind of an odd dangling narrative choice.
    Movie Theater Diary

Richard Armitage is creepy as hell in this.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast