Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2014

Thread: The Upcoming Film Discussion Thread?

- - - - -

New Joss Whedon interview.

Intriguing:

This liberated feeling you seem to have right now, has it led to you writing any more fiction?
    I'm in the middle of a screenplay that I am extremely passionate about, and I am going to be extremely passionate about it again on November 9. It’s definitely a departure from the things that I’m known for. It's as dark as anything I've ever written.

Really?
    Yeah, because I just said, "OK, id, your turn." I would write scenes and be like, "Oh this is great! I shouldn’t be allowed near people." It’s a historical fiction slash horror movie about a time when the world was going insane, World War II. I got to tell you: I was in Germany and Poland doing research for this movie and I was seeing so many parallels [to the U.S.]. And I know it's a shopworn thing to compare the orange guy to the little guy with the mustache, but you see things, indelible things in terms of propaganda, the state of the country, and the parallels are eerie as fuck.

Would you ever consider returning to TV?
    Oh yeah, oh yeah!

What do you think about the current state of TV?
    I feel like they’ve perfected it. I’m like, "Wait guys wait, wait for me!" I really want to make this film, but I miss television. It’s like writing a novel—you get to keep digging into these characters, it’s a real drug.

What are you watching right now?
    My mind goes blank, but my biggest addictions have been Peaky Blinders, The Great British Bake-Off, and Unreal.
    There are a few other interesting and valuable bits in the interview — it's worth checking out.
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-22-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Parallels as eerie as fuck, except more than half the nation won't be voting for the Orange guy.

Nice try though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I don't think the vote results are among the parallels he has in mind.

More than half of Germany didn't vote the Nazis in either...

Which still wouldn't make it a parallel, given significant factors like Hitler being appointed chancellor, the Enabling Act, etc. I'm not sure if Ezee had 1932 in mind as a causal link to the chancellorship, but, in that case, the NSDAP only received 37 percent of all of the votes or thereabouts? Ezee may have been thinking of the plebiscite vote in 1934. Either way, none of this suggests a parallel; there are many historical and contextual differences.

In that interview response, Whedon seems to have other aspects in mind and was not trying to draw a parallel in terms of the casting of votes.

I admittedly have more to learn about the historical context, so I can't really speak to whether or not he has a strong basis for drawing parallels in terms of the "propaganda, the state of the country."
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-23-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Shawn Levy for Uncharted?

Yeeeeeeesh!! Blech!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I know he's made very bad movies, but this year he directed two of the better Stranger Things episodes (in addition to likely getting the show off the ground) and also helmed one of my favourite Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt episodes ("Kimmy Drives A Car!), so I'm finding it harder to label him as a total hack these days.

EDIT: He also produced Arrival. It is excellent.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 10-26-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    None of this matters until the movie goes into production. I expect 2 or 3 more director changes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The erratic song that is this movie's development plays on.

[]

[
    ]
    Last edited by Gittes; 11-21-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Oh shit. Where did this come from?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Whoa.

Sweet.

For someone that didn't really like the first movie, I have to admit, this looks fun.

I was heretofore unaware that I wanted to see [
    ].

The first movie was utter nonsense but pretty slick fun. Hoping this one is the same.
    Last edited by Wryan; 04-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    [
    ].
    [
    ]

Will reserve judgment until I hear the anal sex joke in this one.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

"Swingers is a pretty rad movie, man."

"One day that dude's gonna direct live action adaptations of Iron Man, The Jungle Book and The Lion King."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I can just feel it. In the wind."
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Hey if anyone is interested in seeing the latest Kodi Smit-McPee movie compressed to a couple of minutes (the best way to see him, actually), here ya go.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    It might actually be pretty interesting if the whole thing is without dialogue, which the opening narration there throws you off from assuming it is.

If that voiceover is a trailer-only device, then that's cool for a big(ish) movie to go the wordless route. Not sure how good it looks beyond that, though.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    It might actually be pretty interesting if the whole thing is without dialogue, which the opening narration there throws you off from assuming it is.

If that voiceover is a trailer-only device, then that's cool for a big(ish) movie to go the wordless route. Not sure how good it looks beyond that, though.
    Yeah, hey, if he never speaks beyond grunts maybe he won't annoy me for once. Unlikely.

This is the most spoilery trailer I've seen in a while. This to me is the perfect example of a trailer telling the entire story of a movie. It literally has the ending in it.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah I saw that pop up too. I was excited for the first half of it, then I shut it off becuase...TOO MUCH!! Its probably way overboard how much this kind of stuff infuriates me.

Why am I interested in that?

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast