Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Upcoming Film Discussion Thread?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    hahahah awesome!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Speilberg to direct a remake/adaptation of "Harvey"
    I'm going to think outside the box and root for Neil Patrick Harris for this.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm going to think outside the box and root for Neil Patrick Harris for this.
    Spielberg is probably thinking Shia LeBeouf. I don't think I'd have a problem with that actually.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Spielberg is probably thinking Shia LeBeouf. I don't think I'd have a problem with that actually.
    He kinda makes me twitch now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Speilberg to direct a remake/adaptation of "Harvey"
    Man, Spielberg's just been waiting to pull this one out on us for a good chunk of his career, I'm sure. It'll be his end-all gentle comedy, and it's definitely more surefire than The Terminal.

Elwood is hard to cast, though. Someone who looks innocent, but isn't necessarily young-looking or old-looking. I think Hanks fits the most of the suggestions so far, but the actor should be younger. LaBeouf is way too young. Downey, Jr. actually, maybe, at his most clean-cut looking.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Tom Cruise, probably.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I think William H. Macy would be good for that role.

I'd much rather see the Oldboy remake than this, by the way. At least that would provide the inherent interest of the subject matter rubbing the wrong way against the director's general tendency for tasteful elegance and sentimentality.

I think it would be absolutely fascinating. If it ever gets started, it'll be my most anticipated movie above all others.

EDIT: Movieline discusses casting the leading man as well.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'd like Joe Pesci for the role.

"So I turn aroun and there's this huge fuckin' rabbit, huge fuck, you shoulda seen this thing, and he walks up to me and I can tell he's got some fuckin nerve, cause this prick looks me straight in the eyes and says, 'Hello, Mr. Dowd.' I'm like, 'Didn't I have you for dinner last week? Whaddaya want from me?'"

Some cryptozoologist is planning a documentary about his search for the Mongolian Death Worm. This should be fun -- and by fun I mean a wild failure.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...013016,00.html
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I think William H. Macy would be good for that role.
    What the hell happened to him? He's went from Magnolia to The Cooler to...Wild Hogs.

And what the hell happened to the Lincoln biopic? Come ON, Spielberg.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Holy Crap!

Larry Fessenden is directing the The Orphanage remake, in collaboration with Guillermo Del Toro! LOOK

I know, I know, credit where credit is due to the original film's creators, but this has gotta turn out better than the original.

Fessenden's first big studio picture... *bites nails*

Wendigo was so terrible.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Wendigo was so terrible.
    Bah. Wendigo was damn good until the terrible ending.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Why is Lincoln beyond Spielberg's abilities? Does anyone here happen to agree with this?
    Me.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Okay, why?
    Because the dude's only good for sci-fi action-adventure stuff and little else, and Lincoln was a complex and complicated Prez. Spielberg would gloss over the politics and make it like a musical biopic.
    Movie Theater Diary

Because the dude's only good for sci-fi action-adventure stuff and little else, and Lincoln was a complex and complicated Prez. Spielberg would gloss over the politics and make it like a musical biopic.
    this is wrong. munich was excellent, with exception to the sex/flashback scene

Ehh Schindler's List might become overly sentimental in it's closing act and it might not portray the Nazis perfectly but other than that it's a damn fine film. Munich tries to have it's cake and eat it too by enjoying it's thrills and showing the fall out of these assassinations and it has that bad sex scene but other than that it's also fairly strong. The Sugarland Express is also a good film and that's crime and lovers on the run. Empire of the Sun again perhaps too sentimental but other than that quite good. Saving Private Ryan isn't perfect but it's also very well made. The Color Purple and Catch Me if You Can are both flawed but worthwhile. The Terminal does suck.

I predict that a Lincoln biopic might belabor the assassination and certain speeches for sentiment, but other than that I think he would do a good job.

I don't think Spielberg's glossed over the politics in the slightest in any of his serious films. He does become too manipulatively sentimental, but that's a slightly different problem.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I've never found Spielberg a naturally thematic director; his movies are seldom about anything other than the surface details (exceptionally rendered) and atmospherics (again, usually well done). Sure, he has recurring pet motifs (the absent father thing, to choose one obvious example), but the rarely, if ever, serve to elevate the story into a nourishing intellectual exercise (an exception would be AI, I guess). But if the man can make a movie as brilliant as Jaws, who the hell cares?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Yeah, I gotta' rewatch Jaws.

Also, when are more of Spielberg's movies going to hit Bluray? Seems kind of strange (or maybe just frustrating) that he's only got one out (if I recall correctly).

Wendigo was so terrible.
    Nuh uh!

I'm looking forward to Harvey. It'll benefit from Spielberg's sweeping and/or kinetic sentimental camera (and imagination) to keep it from being stagey and based-on-a-play-y, the source material is interesting enough, and it'll be interesting to see if they keep the old-fashionedness intact.

Tom Hanks turns down role in Harvey.

Seems Spielberg had the same predictable idea as was mentioned here. Good on Hanks for turning down the role.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

The Orphanage was great. I won't see a remake no matter who's directing it.

So, they're making a Tucker Max movie. For some reason.

Herm.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast