View Poll Results: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

46 93.88%
  • Nay

3 6.12%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)

That shot tightening in on Splendid's pregnant belly as Max's bullet casings bounce off of it might end up being my favorite image of the year.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Weems (view post)
    Yowsers. Though this had frequently amazing technical staging and consistently distinguished visuals (Miller's technical brio is undeniable and worthy of study), they were in the service of far too unimaginative a script and scenario. I found this massively overrated, as the storytelling is so constricted to being a simplistic back-and-forth chase sequence that courts repetitiveness and isn't even enlivened by good dialogue; my attention was never really dragged into this movie by Miller's construction. I think of Aliens or Terminator 2, and find this woefully inadequate in comparison conceptually. Even The Raid, which has a simple enough premise, felt moment-to-moment more stunningly stitched together and absorbing than this. This felt roughly equal to something like Prometheus.
    Pretty much agree 100%.

Have been pumped all week to see it, and the experience didn't blow me away as expected, especially after a lot of the high praise here.

The visuals and design are just so spectacular, it's a shame I don't think the story and structure is on the same level.

My favorite moment was probably when Furiosa finally makes it "home" and the whole sequence with the old survivors examining the wives and her.

Oh, and I can't help but wish Mel Gibson was still Max in this. I really like Hardy generally, but by gosh his muted mumbling is distracting, and Gibson had such better presence as Max.

Quote Quoting Barty (view post)

Oh, and I can't help but wish Mel Gibson was still Max in this. I really like Hardy generally, but by gosh his muted mumbling is distracting, and Gibson had such better presence as Max.
    Not a memorable performance. I agree completely. I'm especially dissapointed because I feel it could still have been Gibson who, despite his crazy behaviour lately, is still a bigger star than Hardy.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I was trying to find the post in the original thread in the UPCOMING SECTION, But I think I remember 8 posting how many lines of dialog Hardy actually has. And it was under 50.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yes. YES.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Not a memorable performance. I agree completely. I'm especially dissapointed because I feel it could still have been Gibson who, despite his crazy behaviour lately, is still a bigger star than Hardy.
    Having a known misogynist in the film's lead role might've undercut its message a little bit. Could've made a good Immortan Joe.
    Last edited by Winston*; 05-20-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Having a known misogynist in the film's lead role might've undercut its message a little bit. Could've made a good Immortan Joe.
    But since a message of redemption seems to be coursing through the movie, this might have become a wonderful bit of meta-ness had Mel played Max.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Good stuff.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Good stuff.
    I love that there's something that can bring us all together and it's this movie.

Very shiny movie, so chrome.

It's incredible. I don't think it's flawless - Hardy was a nonentity (although his grunts were full of character, I guess), and the movie lags a tad bit in the middle as its getting ready for the third act. Otherwise, rapturous. My wife is torn because she was so terrified by the characters that she couldn't sleep last night, but couldn't stop talking about how much she enjoyed the film. It really is a breath of fresh air in the CGI heavy era.

Glorious. Simply glorious. It shall be welcomed into the Blu Ray collection with open arms, and the speakers will weep from its awesomeness.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I don't know if it was the theater I was in or what, but I barely understood any of the dialogue at the beginning of the movie, and intermittently throughout the action scenes.

But I also don't think that really matters.

I was all excited for date night and Max, but the theaters all have 3D showings every hour, and only couple 2D showings at odd times. No, I say, no. Will watch this week Sometime. Bastards.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I don't know if it was the theater I was in or what, but I barely understood any of the dialogue at the beginning of the movie, and intermittently throughout the action scenes.

But I also don't think that really matters.
    This is a common reaction and I believe intentional. I think it's great -- characters inseparable from their roaring environs, that kind of thing. What's important is your conclusion, which is that the meaning of the words being hurled is less important then their punch.

Did you like the film otherwise?

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    This is a common reaction and I believe intentional. I think it's great -- characters inseparable from their roaring environs, that kind of thing. What's important is your conclusion, which is that the meaning of the words being hurled is less important then their punch.
    Oh, absolutely. The voices and words of the characters are completely subsumed into the sounds of engines and guns. It's a wonderful effect, really. Whenever important exposition or exchanges happened, it was against an ambience that was much more suited to comprehensibility or mixed in a way that made it clearer. At least so it seemed to me.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Did you like the film otherwise?
    So fucking much. One of the most exhilarating action films I've ever seen. Some of the most vivid and memorable imagery, iconography and tableaux I've seen in recent years, and the best time I've had in a theater in years.

I'm seriously in awe of the intense spatial and temporal continuity in the action set pieces (which made up the majority of the movie). There was basically no moment when I didn't know who or what I was looking at or why it mattered. That's not the only metric for successful action filmmaking of course, but it's impressive and thrilling.

This movie. I pumped my fist a lot during it. For reals. I'm a fucking dork. But for reals.

And this is barely even hinting at what's going on with the film narratively and thematically. But I don't think I have anything particularly insightful or interesting to say about that. So I'll just

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    So fucking much. One of the most exhilarating action films I've ever seen. Some of the most vivid and memorable imagery, iconography and tableaux I've seen in recent years, and the best time I've had in a theater in years.
    thumb-up

After the pre-title sequence I leaned over to my friend and told him that this movie has had more ideas in the last ten minutes than all other movies combined.

Absolutely floored me. I sat with a huge smile on my face the entire time. There were at least a hundred things I saw that I wanted to see an entire movie about.

Why Do other movies even exist?
    Last edited by D_Davis; 05-26-2015 at 03:28 PM.

After watching the film, I started to come to the conclusion that the Max in the film isn't the same Max. I think this fits in with my idea of the truth/legend/myth motif found in the original trilogy. He's taken on the personification of the mythical character.

Those fucking stilt-men! MY GOD!

I want to know about the men on stilts.

It's so great that the best trilogy ever made is now the best quadrilogy ever made.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    It's so great that the best trilogy ever made is now the best quadrilogy ever made.
    I'm not a huge fan of the first one, so I might just pretend this is a trilogy.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Which is an interesting support of what Davis said about him being a mythical figure. The only entry where the plot is about him is the worst one.
    Movie Theater Diary

Has Miller ever given any indication of a timeline in these films?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast