View Poll Results: Yay/Nay?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

22 64.71%
  • Nay

12 35.29%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We had our first MCer see it- lets do this!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Oh yes haha, I'm relatively new so I'm not sure about making this thread. To add to my original comment in that thread, I liked it less than the first one. Still my second favorite in the MCU, but keep in mind that I'm biased towards superhero films that feature a lot of superheroes and use them well (and Joss Whedon is nothing if not capable of juggling many things at once really well). They just feel more varied and interesting to me. In term of plot construction and general movie-ness, Captain America 2 and Iron Man might be better.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Early reviews are kinda suggesting the movie is going through the motions here and doesn't do anything particularly great. I'm especially concerned with this line:

That Whedon and company couldn’t think of anything to do with Scarlett Johansson other than give her a romantic subplot is frankly indicative of the overall feeling of indifference that pervades the whole picture. Avengers: Age of Ultron is not an aggressively bad film by any means, but it also doesn’t go out of its way to be aggressively good. It lacks any impact in the overall arc and isn’t all that entertaining on its own merits
    Did you find Black Widow was just kinda of there?

Producer
    I mean, after the focus on her (and Steve) in Captain America 2, this is bound to feel lesser in comparison. Still, I think there's more to her here than just romantic subplot. This is the most they've delved into her past thus far.

I read that Whedon's original cut is three hours, and most of what he has to cut is the character-building stuff. A shame, since it's his main strength, and this encapsulates the problems with this film a little bit: nothing gets to breathe or explored as much as it should. I wish it has been kept, or the reverse (cut the action but keep that stuff).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

You can really tell who wants to be there.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    A shame, since it's his main strength, and this encapsulates the problems with this film a little bit: nothing gets to breathe or explored as much as it should. I wish it has been kept, or the reverse (cut the action but keep that stuff).
    Who has time for character building when at least an hour needs to be devoted to leveling CG cities and destroying villainous robots for the umpteenth time.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I think Whedon's 3-hour cut blurb has been too overly emphasized. He said that was his assembly cut length (with everything in place on the page without any rhythmic or other necessary honing), which was about the same as the first movie, and among the actual scenes taken out, it seems to be that a lot of it dealt with backstory on the twins. Otherwise I can't speak to how the movie itself plays, and especially how necessary those unused scenes might be since we won't see any of them for months (or until the Phase 2 box set if Marvel pulls those same tricks as last time).

One junket interview talking about it:

Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-24-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

142 minutes. That should be more than enough.

Chris Evans is sooo Steve Rogers.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You can really tell who wants to be there.
    Not Jeremy Renner.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Not Jeremy Renner.
    Heh exactly. And most of them repeated the questions like the person asking them had six heads. Chris Evans was the only one who kinda played off the questions and answered them seriously. Olsen's head was in the clouds.

WOW that was awkward. Could not finish it.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Will be seeing this in 4 hours or so. Caught about 20 minutes of the first one (which I thought I had liked quite a bit) a month or so ago on TV, and thought it was cheesy and needlessly busy. So consider me......trepidatious.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Pretty average. Not as thrilling to see these characters together in a movie, this being the second and all. Spader's good, Ultron's not the most impressive threat. Then again, Marvel always seems to struggle in the villain department.

Hawkeye's the standout. Thor has this weird subplot, because? Banter is disappointing coming from Whedon. It doesn't really add up to much in the end, feels like just another Avengers adventure.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Producer
    Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Thor has this weird subplot, because?
    Setting up his next film and/or the next Avengers, probably.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Flat and joyless, with too much generic speechifying and a lot of poorly staged action. Ultron peaks in his first scene and then just kind of goes through the motions so that there's a reason for another glum, tortured look and follow-up speech.

Marvel ranked:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. The Avengers
    3. Iron Man 3
    4. Captain America 2
    5. Captain America 1
    6. Iron Man 2
    7. Iron Man 1
    8. The Avengers 2
    9. Thor
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I haven't seen the movie, but yet somehow I already know you're wrong.

This one climaxes with The Avengers learning they've got to work together. I thought they learned that in the first one, which kind of sums up how perfunctory this film feels. Aliens swapped for robots, without any of the touches that made the previous installment feel like recognisably the work of its creator (mewling quim etc). They seem to have forgotten that the fun of The Avengers was the way in which these absurd, disparate characters interact with one another.

I agree with trans that most of the action is fairly incoherently staged, though I did enjoy the climax more than the previous 2(!) city sequences.

Also, I can't believe a Joss Whedon film contains the line "hide the zucchini".

The Flash TV show > Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I agree with trans that most of the action is fairly incoherently staged, though I did enjoy the climax more than the previous 2(!) city sequences.
    The opening sequence is the worst, I think, because it begins in medias res and its general incoherence cannot be ignored based on at least a general understanding of the context. And the CGI is ropey as all hell, though I generally don't care as much about that.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

This is funny.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Can you guys confirm there is no after credits scene so I dont have to sit through the whole credits for nothing?

There is a very short one at the end of the acting credits. It's pretty meh.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64