View Poll Results: Yay/Nay?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

22 64.71%
  • Nay

12 35.29%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Kinda shocking- this didn't beat the first Avengers 3 days BO: 187,656,000 vs 204.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Destroyed the global numbers, though.

The fight last night had a lot to do with it.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The fight last night had a lot to do with it.
    Good call.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This movie felt like it would never end. [
    ]

This was...ok. A little better than OK, in reality, but there were still a lot of problems.

The pacing was all over the place and the film never settled into a rhythm. Worse yet, several subplots seemed shoehorned/forced/out of place and it came across as corporate interference more than Whedon's ideas. Most specifically:

[
    ]

That said, the good that IS there is good enough that I enjoyed this. It just wasn't nearly as good or as confident as The first Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier or Iron Man.

I loved all the little cameos. I guess that's a major advantage to this cinematic universe they are cultivating. I think the Flippant Whedon Banter machine was a little overtuned this time. A lot of it didn't stick for me. Also, similarly, I liked Vision a lot, but Bettany was saddled with some incredibly portentous pronouncements. I swear to god I expected him to say, "Don't be upset it's over...be glad it happened" or some other similar horseshit. I'm not sure I understand the reason for all of Ultron's human quirks (he acts like he's already been living among humans for decades), though Spader had fun. I didn't see it in 3D cause I heard it was shit, but I disagree with the frequent comments about too much happening on the screen. I thought it had a nice frenetic play about it, sort of like the hyperactive child version of Tarsem's Immortals (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...fjleadljpg.jpg).

Does Vision...do that in the comics? I thought it was supposed to be a big deal when Captain America...does that, or something. Also, [
    ]

Had fun, mostly.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

No Vision never did that in the comics.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    This was...ok. A little better than OK, in reality, but there were still a lot of problems.

The pacing was all over the place and the film never settled into a rhythm. Worse yet, several subplots seemed shoehorned/forced/out of place and it came across as corporate interference more than Whedon's ideas. Most specifically:

[
    ]

That said, the good that IS there is good enough that I enjoyed this. It just wasn't nearly as good or as confident as The first Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier or Iron Man.
    Heh, I actually thought that the romance and Hawkeye stuff were among the things that actually worked in this movie [
    ]. Basically, anytime the action actually took a break and the movie focused on the characters is when this movie excelled. It's just that there's so much god damn action (too much god damn action, in fact), that it just drags the movie down, being blandly and incoherently cut and all over the place, and lacking in the kinds of moments that really connect with the audience that were present in the first film.

I like it although it is clear now that no Avengers movie will ever make the heroes look like they're genuinely outmatched by their villains. Seems Thanos is next in line, but despite his arrogance in that 4 second clip at the end, it's gonna be business as usual. In other words, he's gonna get his ass kicked. Don't even bother big purple guy.

Some of the early action scenes, especially Iron Man vs. Hulk I didn't like all that much. It's definitely Michael Bay territory with a lot of noise and frenetic movement signifying oh so very little. Then they wanna evoke 9/11 and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Special effects are really, really good in the last hour. Overall a bit less than the original because some of that novelty has worn off, but I had a great time.

Hawkeye's wife, played by Linda Cardellini, is amazingly hot.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Woof. Whedon continues to burn bridges, describes "unpleasant" relationship with Marvel. Apparently Whedon wanted Thor's cave scene cut, but Marvel execs insisted on it because it sets up Infinity War. They also wanted the dream sequences and the farmhouse scenes cut, but Whedon insisted on them.

Also, about the final line:

“I made sure we never shot him saying it, because I was positive some executive was going to go ‘Uh, you forgot to put in the last word,’” Whedon said.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/05...rs-marvel-cuts
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

As a pretty big outsider to this whole MCU thing, the negotiated readings and rationalizations I'm seeing from fans are kinda fascinating.

Not surprising the lamest thing in AoU wasn't Whedon's idea.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Woof. Whedon continues to burn bridges, describes "unpleasant" relationship with Marvel. Apparently Whedon wanted Thor's cave scene cut, but Marvel execs insisted on it because it sets up Infinity War. They also wanted the dream sequences and the farmhouse scenes cut, but Whedon insisted on them.

Also, about the final line:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/05...rs-marvel-cuts
    When he says "Marvel execs" do you think he just means Feige?

I listened to that section and he doesn't sound very angry about the cave sequence and he's joking and making voices about the experience.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 05-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

I really disliked the dream sequences. I thought they were hokey.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Anyone note how fugly this movie is? It's a desaturated teal-and-orange fest, with entire sequences comprised of no more than minor variations of the two color tones. Combine this with an increasingly standardized reliance on CGI to only halfway-convincingly animate entire shots and I often felt like I was watching an Xbox 360 cut scene.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon)

Yeah, it was pretty ugly. Whedon is no stylist in any shape or form. Not that it really matters if the story is halfway decent, or if the characters pop. Not the case here though.

I'm sick of the boilerplate "introduce the bad guy early and then track both camps to the inevitable showdown finale" - one of the best things about The Winter Soldier is that it is more or less a whodunit type thing. I want more of that...I've had enough of the random big bad.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 05-06-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I wouldn't say shape or form, I like a lot of his directorial camera choices (although I'm thinking more of his TV work for examples of visual flourishes than any of his movies, which is ironic), but yeah, he's never made anything where the cinematography is great, and this is no exception.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So there's now 5 dislikes for AoU on MC which is 1 more than the entire lifespan of the Avengers. (64-4)

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-(Joss-Whedon)

Only 13 MCers have seen this?

Mark Ruffalo just posted this:

I think it's sad. Because I know how Joss feels about women, and I know that he's made it a point to create strong female characters. I think part of the problem is that people are frustrated that they want to see more women, doing more things, in superhero movies, and because we don't have as many women as we should yet, they're very, very sensitive to every single storyline that comes up right now. But I think what's beautiful about what Joss did with Black Widow - I don't think he makes her any weaker, he just brings this idea of love to a superhero, and I think that's beautiful.

If anything, Black Widow is much stronger than Banner. She protects him. She does her job, and basically they begin to have a relationship as friends, and I think it's a misplaced anger. I think that what people might really be upset about is the fact that we need more superhuman women. The guys can do anything, they can have love affairs, they can be weak or strong and nobody raises an eyebrow. But when we do that with a woman, because there are so few storylines for women, we become hyper-critical of every single move that we make because there's not much else to compare it to.

So I know Joss really well. I know what his values are. And I think it's sad, because in a lot of ways, there haven't been as many champions in this universe as Joss is and will continue to be. And I know it hurts him. I know it's heavy on him. And the guy's one of the sweetest, best guys, and I know him - as far as any man can be a champion for women, he is that.

So it's been a little disheartening.

But I also see how much people love that aspect of it. There's an equal amount of people who find the love interest between Banner and Black Widow to be a big standout. And it's very satisfying to people. So it's a movie. People are going to have their opinions. And that's actually a great thing. The fact that this is a debate that's coming out of this movie is probably a positive thing.

I just don't think that people should get personal with Joss, because he really is - of anyone - an advocate for women. He's a deeply committed feminist.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Good god Disney must be freaking out

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nope, I still haven't settled on either a yay or a nay yet.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I wouldn't say shape or form, I like a lot of his directorial camera choices (although I'm thinking more of his TV work for examples of visual flourishes than any of his movies, which is ironic), but yeah, he's never made anything where the cinematography is great, and this is no exception.
    Yeah, I think Whedon can be strong with the camera. You can see the difference in his TV work over the work of others he's hired. Even Avengers 1, I thought had a more "present" camera than other MCU films, which I think helped set it apart. Didn't feel this one was as strong in that regard at all. An over-reliance on CGI to achieve shots was certainly a contributing factor. In general, I did not think this film looked good.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So there's now 5 dislikes for AoU on MC which is 1 more than the entire lifespan of the Avengers. (64-4)

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-(Joss-Whedon)

I'm mixed.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

For you guys who are mixed, does that mean you're not going to want to watch it again?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast