Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 5)

Last night's episode was tremendous. The first two had been kind of slow, but this is Game of Thrones at its best.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No I'm not kidding. We're never going to have anything happen with Cersei. They are playing us with her. It's just a tease.

Anything involved with Sansa is so boring I want to tear my eyes out. She sucks at creating drama around her character.

Daenerys trek to Westros has stalled.

Jamie is basically nowhere.

The only people I really care about right now is Jon Snow and Arya.

Tyrion looked like was going to team up with Daenerys which would be interesting but now I dont know what's going on....

Oh and by the fucking way, where the fuck is Bran? "Yeh let's not put him in the first four episodes after making him see visions of this stupid tree and finally reaching it after 4 fucking seasons...."
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Dany's struggle with the revolution is pretty good too. A change from her ease of taking over place after place. However, it feels like the scenes we've seen are sort of repeating themselves since last season when the dragons started lighting up goats.
    I don't think so. Her people were throwing rocks at her. There's a difference between dissatisfaction and outright resistance.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oh and by the fucking way, where the fuck is Bran? "Yeh let's not put him in the first four episodes after making him see visions of this stupid tree and finally reaching it after 4 fucking seasons...."
    He's not in this season.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    He's not in this season.
    Just awesome....

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Just awesome....
    It is. There's nothing I like about that storyline. It could disappear, and I'd be completely fine with it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

No I'm not kidding. We're never going to have anything happen with Cersei. They are playing us with her. It's just a tease.

Anything involved with Sansa is so boring I want to tear my eyes out. She sucks at creating drama around her character.

Daenerys trek to Westros has stalled.

Jamie is basically nowhere.

The only people I really care about right now is Jon Snow and Arya.

Tyrion looked like was going to team up with Daenerys which would be interesting but now I dont know what's going on....

Sansa's not very eccentric, but there's a different side to her now. But that's not all that's going on there in Winterfell.

Theon Greyjoy will eventually come out of hiding. And Brienne will eventually hit the town too...

There's going to be a lot of blood pouring in Winterfell I think.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That is a hell of a lot of negativity for a series which has always had slow building to a violent, epic climax. Every goddamn season so far.

About the only thing I agree with is that it pisses me off not seeing Bran for an entire season, but there are way too many characters and storylines going on to care right now.

Cercei vs. Margarey will not end up nicely.

Eh, people get attached to different things. It's the beauty of ensembles. I want more Sansa and Littlefinger than Jon Snow, but they both have a purpose.

I also seem to be less taken by Stannis than a lot of fans, who are constantly going gaga over him with all this "Stannis the Mannis" stuff. I would honestly rather see more scenes of Ser Davos learning to read than another Stannis & Melisandre plotting to be the one true king.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Cercei vs. Margarey will not end up nicely.
    I am so stoked for this and I don't actually mind them teasing us with it for as long as possible. Every scene they've had together for the past few seasons have been the most consistently outstanding exchanges on the show, and I love that the tables keep turning between them.
    Movie Theater Diary

I admit I'm being overly negative right now. I'm really just nitpicking on personal stuff. Still love it.

Oh don't get me started on Stannis stuff. Why Jon Snow would ever decline that offer BOGGLES my mind! Here I am thinking Jon is going to become the next Rob and instead he's attached to that STUPID WALL. ARGH!!!

The fact that I didn't even recognize Stannis as a major character until Season 4 is kind of weird to me. He's never one that I'm ecstatic about.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh don't get me started on Stannis stuff. Why Jon Snow would ever decline that offer BOGGLES my mind! Here I am thinking Jon is going to become the next Rob and instead he's attached to that STUPID WALL. ARGH!!!
    It makes perfect sense as a character choice, though. Jon Snow is so much a product of Ned Stark's parenting (even more than his half-brothers because he's not an acknowledged son) that he almost always will choose honor and duty over his own desires.

Oh, and how about that beheading? How can you say nothing happened in the episode?

I understand the critique because I think that's become the formula for this entire series. That was my criticism of the last season. The show is all set-up; very little payoff. Send characters toward some destination/meeting/reunion for several episodes and then have something intervene that is out of their control and suddenly they have a new objective before the prior one is ever realized. To me, it was sort of an eye-roller, but all too expected, to see Tyrion snatched at the end of the last episode. The inherent drama of something simple like Tyrion meeting Daenerys is never enough. There is always some stalling event or unexpected ambivalence that keeps this show in perpetual "tease" mode.

Of course, I'm still enjoying it and less of the Bran storyline is a win in my book. But would like to see them divert from this formula at some point.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

The fact that I didn't even recognize Stannis as a major character until Season 4 is kind of weird to me. He's never one that I'm ecstatic about.
    You should have. He was only teamed up with a sexy witch, killed Renly as a freakin' ghost and attacked the Lannisters!

You should have. He was only teamed up with a sexy witch, killed Renly as a freakin' ghost and attacked the Lannisters!
    The whole witch and ghost thing... That's right. Meh. Don't care on that one either, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The whole witch and ghost thing... That's right. Meh. Don't care on that one either, lol.
    Well for me that was huge. The Witch was one of the earliest supernatural elements established in this series.

1. Witch (Black Magic)
    2. White Walker (which is another thing we haven't seen in what seems like forever)
    3. Mind Control (Sorcery?)
    4. Face Changing
    5. Dragons

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    To me, it was sort of an eye-roller, but all too expected, to see Tyrion snatched at the end of the last episode. The inherent drama of something simple like Tyrion meeting Daenerys is never enough. There is always some stalling event or unexpected ambivalence that keeps this show in perpetual "tease" mode.
    Well, to be fair, I assume he is still going to the same place, just under a different pretense.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

A sack instead of a box. Maybe Tyrion ends up preferring it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Things happened.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ha .

Two uprisings, and Winterfell about to go down in flames too. Will there even be a world at the end of this for the Ice Walkers to take?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I understand the critique because I think that's become the formula for this entire series. That was my criticism of the last season. The show is all set-up; very little payoff. Send characters toward some destination/meeting/reunion for several episodes and then have something intervene that is out of their control and suddenly they have a new objective before the prior one is ever realized. To me, it was sort of an eye-roller, but all too expected, to see Tyrion snatched at the end of the last episode. The inherent drama of something simple like Tyrion meeting Daenerys is never enough. There is always some stalling event or unexpected ambivalence that keeps this show in perpetual "tease" mode.

Of course, I'm still enjoying it and less of the Bran storyline is a win in my book. But would like to see them divert from this formula at some point.
    Yes, this is a major problem with Martin's writing. Agreed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Gorgeous episode.
    Movie Theater Diary

The Volantis boat ride was breathtaking.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast