Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daredevil (Season 1)

My girlfriend loves Foggy. He grows on you over the course of the season. I haven't read any of the comics or seen the movie(s) so my views are based purely on the show.

So just finished this a little earlier today, and I thought it was pretty good for the most part.

Loved most of the action, though I'll agree with the sentiment that it could at times feel a bit TOO violent. That "single take" hallway fight scene in episode 2 was especially stellar, however.

Great acting all around for the most part I felt. The show coulda used a bit more of Rosario Dawson's character I felt, though. I found myself missing her presense whenever she was away for too long.

I can also appreciate this take on the Kingpin character, and the parallels of inner turmoil between both he and Murdock, though there are aspects to the character that I had a hard time buying. There's a certain timidness to him early on especially that left me scratching my head, wondering how such a guy could become so powerful within the underground criminal world.

That said, his relationship with Vanessa was another highlight, with their dinner scene as the world explodes around them being an awesome visual.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the dialogue can be a bit cliche at times, especially the church scene within the first five minutes of episode one, which is one groan inducing cliche after another. Also the writers had a tendency to give several characters similar verbal tics at times, though I doubt most people would really notice or care about that.

Also, the fact that this was done as a series I still am not a big fan of. It could've easily been written into a film format without losing too much, but this is mainly just a gripe of bias, as I just happen to greatly prefer film as a medium over television in general. *shrug*

I wrote this pretty long thing on the history of Wilson and Vanessa Fisk
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I just watched Episode I.

Some nitpicks that I'm kind of harping on is the reference of "The Incident," but no discussion of any of the superheroes, Daily Bugle, etc. Tony Stark, Captain America, and The Hulk seem like they'd be discussed in these talks.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That is a slippery slope in any attempt at a connected universe such as this one. I mean, forget Stark and the Hulk: ALIENS INVADED NEW YORK.
    It's best that they keep the more direct references to a minimum, because it detracts from the significantly more grounded tone of the show.

Also, the whole Spiderman thing was still up for grabs, so the Bugle is actually the Bulletin on the show.

I do find it amusing how Cult Of Marvel Fanboy is losing their shit over this show while also blasting the Batman v Superman teaser as being too dark and gritty.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I do find it amusing how Cult Of Marvel Fanboy is losing their shit over this show while also blasting the Batman v Superman teaser as being too dark and gritty.
    The youtube comments on the Batman v Superman trailer is mind boggling.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Daredevil's best iteration is dark and gritty (although Mark Waid's recent run is showing you can do a somewhat happy Matt Murdock too), while Superman's best version is being a sunny, nice dude. That's why the reactions are like that. Frank miller'ing Superman was unnecessary, but wholy appropriate for Daredevil.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    That is a slippery slope in any attempt at a connected universe such as this one. I mean, forget Stark and the Hulk: ALIENS INVADED NEW YORK.
    It's best that they keep the more direct references to a minimum, because it detracts from the significantly more grounded tone of the show.

Also, the whole Spiderman thing was still up for grabs, so the Bugle is actually the Bulletin on the show.
    Fair point. There's basically no terror of the idea that aliens exist amongst civilians.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There is no correct tone of doing a superhero story. You should only pick something appropriate to the character and the intention. Most Daredevil fans are crime/noir fans. Most Superman fans are little kids looking for a role model.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Episode 8....holy crap. Shit got real.

And I should have made note about my previous comment...I am constantly bewildered by label following. I am not a Marvel or DC guy, Im a comic book fan. I will never understand people that feel the need to pick one or the other. Both have good and bad. Its so bizarre to me how one property is criticized so harshly and another is not, but I guess thats the nature of criticism, and I need to quit reading comic book nerd fanboy comments. (Totally not pointed at MC, btw.)

Cool show for the most part. The real highlight is Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin and his storyline with Vanessa, that (as number8 points out) draws cleverly from the different versions of the character in the comics and her doomed love story.

They need to improve the dialogue, though - at times it's so cheesy it's embarassing to watch. This is particularly noticeable in everything that involves Foggy and Karen. [
    ]
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Sigh, spoooooiler.....

Sorry, mate.

This was largely fantastic. I don't really care about dialogue as long as it doesn't negatively impact the overall story or what is going on. I loved how well acted, shot and directed this show was, and the opening credits were really sweet. I was surprised at how they erased the disappointing memory of the cheesy 2003 film.

Also I can't recall Superman ever being brutal, and I don't care for the character anyway. Where as Daredevil is clearly film noir style and thus more suited to my interests. Vincent D'Onofrio was exceptional and deserves Emmy consideration for what is one of the best villian portrayals I've seen in a while. And I really liked Charlie Cox as Matt. Foggy was actually likable to me yet it seems they stopped knowing where to go with the character. Oh well.

The Oldboy homage was amazing, in addition to many shocking moments. [
    ]
    They said that this is supposed to be part of the Defenders universe. I wonder if the other shows will be half as good as Daredevil. Also I'll never look at Rabbit in a Snowstorm the same way again.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Producer
    Finished it, and while I'm not wholly sold on it (the world isn't built well enough to engage me much in the first half), it's totally worth it just for Charlie Cox and especially Vincent D'Onofrio. One of the best villains ever. What's most amazing is that while his character is really vile and evil, I still found his relationships with Vanessa and Wesley so unexpectedly touching (or at least clearly felt) that I almost got choked up a couple of times. I always have fascinatingly conflicting emotions when Fisk is onscreen. Great writing and performance there.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    MIA: New York City, which always felt like another major character in the comic books. It really grounded the stories when they straddled Marvel's fantasy universe and, say, Miller's grit. Anyway, this show looks like it's shot on lots and stages in LA/ Vancouver/ Toronto or wherever. The feel is off. There's no New York soul to it.
    this is funny, since people i've spoken to have said that this is the most recognizably new york show they've seen. i mean sure there are no tracking shots of the skyline or scenes at rockefeller center, or at other major landmarks, but it feels like it's achieving exactly what it's setting out to do, achieving that grittiness that daredevil needs while actually filming in the city (albeit in queens and brooklyn, hell's kitchen is nothing like the hell's kitchen from the comics anymore)

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    One thing I forgot: this is pretty much the first time I've seen anyone on US television and/or movies do real, actual Russian. There are slight accents, but it feels real. I know it largely makes no difference to Americans, but I truly appreciate the effort to at least appear authentic.
    What about "The Americans"? (You might not watch it.) But a number of the actors are actually Russian or speak it as one of their languages (Nina, Arkady, Oleg) so it's probably good. And they have longs scenes in Russian.

I am finally getting around to watching this. It's solid but nothing spectacular so far.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    this is funny, since people i've spoken to have said that this is the most recognizably new york show they've seen. i mean sure there are no tracking shots of the skyline or scenes at rockefeller center, or at other major landmarks, but it feels like it's achieving exactly what it's setting out to do, achieving that grittiness that daredevil needs while actually filming in the city (albeit in queens and brooklyn, hell's kitchen is nothing like the hell's kitchen from the comics anymore)
    Outside of characters constantly mentioning the name "Hells Kitchen," there isn't anything New Yorkish about the show. I'm not sure what your friends see.

Daredevil has a constrained budget, and it shows. For a bunch of workaday characters in New York, nobody ever rides the subway. There are few to no crowd scenes. No outdoor scenes. There are no recognizable New York voices or attitudes.

I wasn't really talking about "grit," because you can place that anywhere. From what I've seen of Daredevil so far, it could just as easily take place in Chicago because there's no distinction to the setting. That feels very different from some of the comics I've read.

Five? Episodes in, and really enjoying it. Minor gun quibbles:

First fight sequence, where DD keys on the bad guy ratcheting the slide on his pistol. And then less than a minute later, the same guy ratchets the slide again.
    Episode five, during the dinner date, she says she's carrying a .22. When she gives it to him, its defintely a .32 or .380, even though that gun model is available in .22. (The gun she has is a cheap POS, in my opinion).

Anyways, hadn't been following the thread, all I knew is that people were enjoying it. More brutal than I expected, and that is NOT a complaint.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Movie Theater Diary

It was a bit of a chore getting through the first four episodes. I think I watched those over the course of about two weeks, forcing my way through with everybody encouraging me to go on. Episode 2 was the highlight of those first four episodes.

Anyway, after [] introduction, the wheels start turning and the show becomes very interesting. I binged, or, well, as much as I can binge on a given show. Finished the last nine this week. Fantastic. I hope they do another season.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Outside of characters constantly mentioning the name "Hells Kitchen," there isn't anything New Yorkish about the show. I'm not sure what your friends see.
    they literally recognize new york

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    they literally recognize new york
    Haha, exactly. This show depicted NY perfectly without hitting us over the head with bad Brooklyn accents. Not everyone in NYC says fuggedaboutit after every sentence, a lot don't even ride the subway depending on where they work. I'm glad the show didn't shoehorn in shots of 30 Rock or Times Square and instead relied on effective sets like the waterfront where Kingpin had his meetings or stuff like the goons getting drinks at an actual bar in Brooklyn. I especially loved the roof top meeting between Fisk and Madame Gao. It's definitely the only Marvel property that didn't feel like it was being shot by an NYC tourist.

- - - - -
    Have either of you read any of the comics?

I'm not talking about postcard shots of Time Square.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast