Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daredevil (Season 1)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Daredevil (Season 1)

Cool intro.

Oh a whim I decided to take today off. I know what i'm doing for the next 12 hours.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Episode 5; These story arcs are not all that interesting.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hmm. Episode 7 thoughts.

[
    ]
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 04-12-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Chaste

Episode 7 and 8 are the highlights so far. The build is getting worth it.

Watched first episode last night. WOW. Those fight scenes were fantastic, or at least far above what I was expecting.

Yeah, they killed it on the fight choreography. And they don't fuck it up with shooting them well, too!
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I was thinking the choreography was clunkly and slow. There's one fight scene in a hallway (fake one shot) that goes back and forth on angles- that was pretty good, the rest have been over edited with punch sound FX that makes me think of Indiana Jones. I noticed it early but as the season goes on, it becomes less obvious.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 04-12-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Finished. Dialog in the last episode is painful.

[
    ]

Dina and I are about to start episode 4... lovin' it so far. The intro is pretty great, although it follows in the footsteps of recent stuff like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "Fringe", "Black Sails" etc.
    We love Deborah Ann Woll even more now. Just a solid, solid show.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Dina and I are about to start episode 4... lovin' it so far. The intro is pretty great, although it follows in the footsteps of recent stuff like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "Fringe", "Black Sails" etc.
    We love Deborah Ann Woll even more now. Just a solid, solid show.
    I was thinking the same thing. More like a combo of Nip/Tuck and Fringe with a Trent Reznor twist.

One thing I forgot: this is pretty much the first time I've seen anyone on US television and/or movies do real, actual Russian. There are slight accents, but it feels real. I know it largely makes no difference to Americans, but I truly appreciate the effort to at least appear authentic.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Should we just make a "Daredevil (Season 1)" thread? Contains thoughts a little better for future reference, especially if people don't necessarily watch it within these first 48 hours of its release.

Thought the first two episodes were strong though. Even just from the cinematography in the trailers I got a Hannibal vibe, and the show maintains a similar chilly grit to its look, but it's kind of funny just how already having that feeling going in, the opening credits kind of went all the way with the similarity.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-11-2015 at 09:46 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Outside of the cool fight at the end of episode 2, the first three episodes were a chore. The supporting cast is awful. Maybe it's because I've been high on The Flash recently.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I made a new thread for clarity.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I don't like the dude playing Foggy but Cox and Woll are excellent through the first few eps, and Fisk is appropriately slow played as a force to be reckoned with. The action is brutal.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Outside of the cool fight at the end of episode 2, the first three episodes were a chore. The supporting cast is awful. Maybe it's because I've been high on The Flash recently.
    Foggy is pretty bad. I realllly like Dawson as Night Nurse, and the guy they cast as Urich. Woll is pretty good as Karen Page too.

I think I'm jaded because I was a huge fan of Smallville despite its flaws, and all the comic based shows since have blown that out of the water. Maybe I just cant be impartial because I'm so happy to have cool comic book shows.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The supporting cast is awful. Maybe it's because I've been high on The Flash recently.
    Haven't seen The Flash, but... wot?

Finished the show. Really like it, even if that development at the end of episode 12 is really questionable, for lots of reasons.

The Wilson-Vanessa dinner scene was the highlight of the season for me. I also don't have a problem at all with the end of Ep 12. The confrontation was too good for it to have ended up as a copout. I respect the follow through.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm currently on episode 11. I like the fighting but I like the court room stuff more. Unfortunately they seem to go more to the fighting. This isn't better than some of the other super hero shows, but it's still fun. I actually really like Foggy. Obviously since I am marathoning it I'm into it, but if I was more into it I would be done by now.

Episode 3: holy moley suicide. Show continues to surprise.

Also, I like that they're doing their own little section of MCU interconnectness by setting up Iron Fist and Luke Cage so overtly already. I didn't catch any references to Jessica Jones, but maybe I missed it.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Enjoying this but good god it's violent for a "tv" show.

Echo previous sentiments (Foggy bad, Russian good).

Little disappointed in the fight scenes, which look too choreographed and plain. Like out takes from a Statham film, except its Statham's second string stunt double.

Mildly amused and slightly annoyed that it took the writers a whole three episodes to pair off every major character. Gimme a break. Kingpin has a crush!

MIA: New York City, which always felt like another major character in the comic books. It really grounded the stories when they straddled Marvel's fantasy universe and, say, Miller's grit. Anyway, this show looks like it's shot on lots and stages in LA/ Vancouver/ Toronto or wherever. The feel is off. There's no New York soul to it.

Otherwise, I dig everything else immensely. But then I also have a soft spot for this character.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also, I like that they're doing their own little section of MCU interconnectness by setting up Iron Fist and Luke Cage so overtly already. I didn't catch any references to Jessica Jones, but maybe I missed it.
    Will you care to elaborate a bit more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast