Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daredevil (Season 1)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Have either of you read any of the comics?

I'm not talking about postcard shots of Time Square.
    Yes

- - - - -
    Well okay then

glad that's all settled!

Jon Bernthal is Frank Castle.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Finally getting around to this - have discovered that I can watch Netflix even with my crappy Internet!

6 episodes in and really enjoying it. D'Onofrio is entrancing as Fisk, and I want to spend more time with that character, learning about why he is so socially awkward and what made him the man he is now.

Action is great. Occasionally too dark, but visceral and appreciate that Murdock doesn't walk away unscathed.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

This couldn't have had a better resolution.

The situation actually was solved with the law, we have potential for key characters in Daredevil's lore to have ongoing presence. Great stuff.

Some wonderful character work in this show. Everyone felt three dimensional. Fisk in particular was just a fascinating character.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Watched the first two episodes and enjoying this so far. Appreciate that they connected it to the MCU with talk about the destruction of "half of New York" without going any further. Staved off the cutes. Dat hallway fight. Appreciate how Murdock is not a "superhero" in the traditional sense but gets beat the hell up on the regular. Didn't like how the guy he chucked into the dumpster lived. I want to see his hard-fighting lifestyle have some unfortunate side-effects. Maybe that's forthcoming.

This show is really not very good. I enjoy the hell out of the fight scenes, and they picked a great lead actor. Rosario Dawson does way more with what little she is given and I wish there were a good way to incorporate her more and every other minor character less. Foggy and Karen are annoyingly sweet and one-dimensional. Their loooooong stretches of groan-worthy dialogue and cutesy teasing are horribly painful. But Vincent D'Onofrio is the WORST. Listening to him speak Mandarin (Chinese? sorry I'm not sure) is like listening to my dog retch up a piece of turkey. And that's only marginally worse than his warm-marble-mouthed English. As much as I appreciate the effort to do something interesting with the villian character by giving him a soft spot for the art gallery owner, I can't for the life of me figure out why she's interested in a man so devoid of any joy. I dunno...maybe some women, when presented with the question of what she finds most attractive in a man, choose "Total wet blanket". I just don't know any of these women.

The story and the writing doesn't make me care about anything that seems to motivate these people. They are constantly talking about how much they want to save "this city" and blahblah Hell's Kitchen, but everything is told so narrowly and with such a claustrophobic perspective that I can't seem to understand why any of them says any of that crap.

I agree with you about Karen and Foggy and how painful their dialogue sounds. I also agree that vague, almost esoteric talk about "this city" gets a little ridiculous at times. I can't agree with D'Onofrio - he's easily the best part of everything he's in, and this is no exception. I think it's made abundantly clear that what attracts this lady to him is the wealth and power and display, for example, so I don't see a problem there.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I agree with you about Karen and Foggy and how painful their dialogue sounds. I also agree that vague, almost esoteric talk about "this city" gets a little ridiculous at times. I can't agree with D'Onofrio - he's easily the best part of everything he's in, and this is no exception. I think it's made abundantly clear that what attracts this lady to him is the wealth and power and display, for example, so I don't see a problem there.
    How has that been made abundantly clear? Other than a predilection for fine wine and a single comment to him when he tells her about his terrible childhood, she hasn't said or done anything that gives me the impression she cares about his wealth or power. I think that's based on our own natural assumption that she is attracted to him for those reasons, but that's only because there are no OTHER reasons. She's something of a blank slate. I think the actress pulls off vague mystery well and so I enjoy her scenes, but I don't suspect the show will give us much of her beyond simply being a motivation for Fisk.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    How has that been made abundantly clear? Other than a predilection for fine wine and a single comment to him when he tells her about his terrible childhood, she hasn't said or done anything that gives me the impression she cares about his wealth or power. I think that's based on our own natural assumption that she is attracted to him for those reasons, but that's only because there are no OTHER reasons. She's something of a blank slate. I think the actress pulls off vague mystery well and so I enjoy her scenes, but I don't suspect the show will give us much of her beyond simply being a motivation for Fisk.
    Well, from the dinner scenes and from her performance, mainly. I don't know if it's ever stated on the dialogue, but she's not bothered by the fact that she's a mobster and she wants to stand next to him in his new political career even if it costs her her life. In the scene where they're watching the explosions from the window she also seems fully supportive. In fact, I think that's the specific point in the TV series that sets her apart from her comic book counterpart.

I think the Fisk/Vanessa and Murdock/Stick relationships are the highlights of the show so far. Everything Foggy and Karen related I don't like nearly as much.

Brilliant, blown away, flabbergasted by the whole of it. It's exactly how I want my superhero stories. Realistically violent, rooted in reality, with kickass (but vulnerable heroes), villains that are actually menacing and terrifying, coherent action scenes (fight scenes rock not only because of how they're shot, but because they made me wince a few times). I love some of the peripheral characters such as Ben Urich and how that becomes a powerful story within the story and christ D'Onofrio! Seems like a completely different person from the one I saw this summer in Jurassic World. Got some Colonel Kurtz vibes from him. Is that weird?

edit
    : Incidentally, Matt's powers are curious to me. Can someone who's knowledgeable explain how he perceives the world? I mean, he's obviously blind, but is he able to perform extraordinary feats because of his heightened senses or does he in fact see...something? Shapes, contours whatever. Of all the superheroes out there, there's a small part of me which thinks this one's powers are the most ludicrous. Think about it. If Superman was blind, he'd fly right into objects and structures all the time regardless of how strong he is.
    Last edited by Morris Schæffer; 08-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Brilliant, blown away, flabbergasted by the whole of it. It's exactly how I want my superhero stories. Realistically violent, rooted in reality, with kickass (but vulnerable heroes), villains that are actually menacing and terrifying, coherent action scenes (fight scenes rock not only because of how they're shot, but because they made me wince a few times). I love some of the peripheral characters such as Ben Urich and how that becomes a powerful story within the story and christ D'Onofrio! Seems like a completely different person from the one I saw this summer in Jurassic World. Got some Colonel Kurtz vibes from him. Is that weird?
    Not at all. He's like Colonel Kurtz meets Gomer Pyle. Just an incredible performance. I was similarly stunned by the quality of this show. They did an incredible job making these characters complex and more than just 'comic book' good and evil. It's a cliche to do the 'shades of grey' thing but they pulled it off brilliantly. The amount of sympathy they get you to feel for Fisk is amazing, even though he decapitated a guy with his car door.

Eagerly await season 2. Marvel is just killing it.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123