Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community (Season 6)

I'd have to agree with number8 here: Community is dead - long live Community!

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Full disclosure, I've missed at least four episodes previous to this one (not on purpose or out of dissatisfaction, just due to lack of time and lack of Yahoo Screen's existence in my country), but this week was already being watched in the room and I was assured there hadn't been any major story or character shifts.

But I'm so glad I saw this one. Just a fantastic meshing of two of the show's biggest strengths: transgressive narrative experiment and bottle episodes. It completely rejuvenated my adoration and excitement for this series, and those are important thing to feel in order to need to catch up before what is very likely the end of the series in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-13-2015 at 05:01 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Such a weird, funny episode. Space Elder Britta slayed me.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Mixed on the season as a whole, but the tags have been hysterical. Loved this week's one.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

This was hands down my favorite of season six. It felt polished and finished. The show's meta qualities have been somewhat tiredly implemented this season, it seems to me, but this one found a good way to tie those conceits into the story and make it all go proceed swimmingly. A lot of the episode was the core group hanging out together, which is something that's been sorely missing all season. This one more than any other episode this year seems like an episode of Community.

Producer
    Normally even though I liked to loved them I have felt the longer running time of the episodes this season. This is the first episode that engages me the whole way through. The way it flows feels like Season 1-3 Community.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I came here to post that this was the worst episode I can remember (even worse then anything in season 4) and of course everyone here is raving over it. That end tag. Man that was rough to watch.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I came here to post that this was the worst episode I can remember (even worse then anything in season 4) and of course everyone here is raving over it. That end tag. Man that was rough to watch.
    Well now you gotta elaborate on your thoughts of this episode you despised.

Especially if you're gonna pull the "worse than Season 4" card and just walk away! I may be talking outta turn here, but heck I'll just say it: I thought Season 4 was kinda not-good too! (Feels good to finally get off my chest.)

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I liked Season 4 more than this season.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Well now you gotta elaborate on your thoughts of this episode you despised.

Especially if you're gonna pull the "worse than Season 4" card and just walk away! I may be talking outta turn here, but heck I'll just say it: I thought Season 4 was kinda not-good too! (Feels good to finally get off my chest.)
    It just reeked of them trying to hard. Everything with Abed and his meta stuff. The end tag. It was just not fun to watch.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I don't think there's been a single end tag I didn't love this season. The bit about the giant kite was the funniest joke after Space Elder Britta for me.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, I thought the tag was exceptionally, grimly hysterical. Besser and (his real-life wife) Schneider totally sold it.

It also took way too long for it to click that the whole key theme that Abed brings home at the end with the giant hand, being able to let go but grip in equal balance, paired with him being hung up on the "Three Weeks Earlier" idea that he can't fight or change the past with, all is no sort of coincidence that this episode occurs with only three weeks of episodes left before the series likely ends for good.

[insert Troy "My emotions!!" gif]

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Good way to bring back paintball.

The tag is incredible. Again.
    Movie Theater Diary

WOW. That was hilarious, but that was like an episode of It's Always Sunny.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    That was lovely. I mean, I acutely felt the "too meta" criticism from many in advance while watching it, but dammit, the show has been affecting before, but this is the first one that actually chokes me up a bit.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

It's such a well done finale. I agree with the consensus that this season is their best since Season 2. I was excited to see Keith David and Paget Brewster join the show because I liked them, but I really did not anticipate them being such a phenomenal addition to the dynamic. I loved Frankie's "“humble outsider who came in and nailed it" line.

The board game tag was so, so funny. I was covering my mouth from laughter and disbelief.
    Movie Theater Diary

That tag was probably the best thing they have done since Season 3.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

That finale was phenomenal. I remember thinking season three (crazy to think how different the show has become in its short three seasons afterward) had a finale that could never be replaced as the best possible series finale, but Harmon and company really sold this episode and they did it by exploring how we watch TV and connect with people in the first place. Awesome. And I can't pretend I didn't tear up a bit.

The final 4 or 5 episodes really seemed like they figured out where this season was supposed to be and nailed it. I wish there had been four or five more episodes leading up to the finale, an eighteen episode season or so, as I think I wanted a longer season six more than I really want a season seven.

But I'd happily take a season seven if that's a possibility.

(And if it is, they NEED both David and Brewster back.)

Just finished Wedding Videography. Honestly, might be the funniest Communuty episode I've seen since Season 3. Maybe the Greendale setting is just too stale for me. This was the freshest it's felt in a while. Keith David's "complimenting white people" bit was masterful.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Great finale. On a personal level, I appreciated the dig at Marvel since I've also felt like a pariah in preaching on the utter blandness of most things MCU. It's interesting that Harmon went there though since the Russo brothers are now so deeply involved in that stuff.

Last few episodes were probably my favorite stretch of Community since Season 2. Didn't love the entire season though, so I think I'm good with them walking away at this point. Glad they got to finish strong.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Speaking of the Russos, they were largely responsible for the look of season one, right?

Cause I've watched a little season one for the first time in a long time recently and I really like the way the show used to look.

I always figured it was predominantly the Russos but with a lot of credit to Justin Lin for getting the show's look into really cinematic territory in his few eps, which I imagine set the bar for subsequent seasons.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Finally caught up. Wish I had something useful to say. Fine batch of episodes. I'm ready to say goodbye to the show. It was real.

The highlights of the season were Frankie trying desperately not to call the Dean stupid and Elroy encouraging white people.

Finally caught up. A very solid close to the season(series?) with the final few episodes, after feeling mostly 'meh' early on. I'd love to see more like these episodes, but would be good with and a movie, if that's what I get. I really don't want to say goodbye, but if this was it, it closed very well.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12