Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community (Season 6)

Community (Season 6)

I am so happy this show is back, and that it returns on such a strong note. The first two episodes felt like Season 2 eps.

I don't think the writing with Chang has been this on point in a while.

"Go to the nurse!"
    "I'm trying..."

Also, wow, Paget Brewster's character is great.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Hoping to start into this today. Still working our way through Unbreakable Kimmy...

There's a small yearning for the show to gracefully bow out at this point since it's hemorrhaged so much of the cast and seems uninterested in canonizing any of the Annie relationship aspects that could give the show a forward continuity... but perhaps this will be that season.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Really not digging the first two episodes.

Though more Keith David in my life is always a good thing.

Good to see Shirley's cameo. She has gotten really thin.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I absolutely loved the third episode. I think the before-credits scene gimmick is some of the funniest (and most unexpected) stuff they've ever done on the show.

I was torn between how fucking funny it was and not liking that they gave a semi-explanation of the Dean's obsession with Jeff.

The end tag, though, oh my god.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So far, I'm liking that there is a little more craziness happening around the edges, and how it is experimenting with pacing and freedom regarding the length, but I'm not all that enthused with the actual plots. Hope they find some stories worth hanging the gags on.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I was torn between how fucking funny it was and not liking that they gave a semi-explanation of the Dean's obsession with Jeff.

The end tag, though, oh my god.
    Did they say how long it'd been going on? My assumption was it just added some extra ballast to the balloon.

And yeah, the tag. Amazing.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Did they say how long it'd been going on? My assumption was it just added some extra ballast to the balloon.
    It's unspecified, so you can take it either way. But it's implied that it's been going on for a while given that Dean thinks it's his number, so it is kind of a semi-explanation.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm pretty sure they got a new cinematographer this season and he's really not as good.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Loved the episode, but yeah I noticed the weird lighting too.
    Movie Theater Diary

Top 12 Community Episodes

1. Cooperative Calligraphy (Season 2, Episode 8)
    2. Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design (Season 2, Episode 9)
    3. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Season 2, Episode 14)
    4. Basic Lupine Urology (Season 3, Episode 17)
    5. Paradigms of Human Memory (Season 3, Episode 21)
    6. Digital Estate Planning (Season 3, Episode 20)
    7. Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (Season 2, Episode 11)
    8. Modern Warfare (Season 1, Episode 23)
    9. Curriculum Unavailable (Season 3, Episode 19)
    10. Regional Holiday Music (Season 3, Episode 10)
    11. Pillows and Blankets (Season 3, Episode 14)
    12. G.I. Jeff (Season 5, Episode 11)

Top 5 Worst Community Episodes

1. Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples (Season 2, Episode 5)
    2. Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations (Season 4, Episode 5)
    3. Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Season 5, Episode 10)
    4. Contemporary Impressionists (Season 3, Episode 11)
    5. Queer Studies and Advanced Waxing (Season 6, Episode 4)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

S06E04 was definitely not bottom five ever. Top 15 - perhaps.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    So far, I'm liking that there is a little more craziness happening around the edges, and how it is experimenting with pacing and freedom regarding the length, but I'm not all that enthused with the actual plots. Hope they find some stories worth hanging the gags on.
    Nope. Things are getting worse and worse. Far too much Dean, too.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I'm liking this season more than the last two combined.

EDIT: Maybe that's a bit much, since this season hasn't attempted any major storylines yet, which was always what's endearing about the show. Still, I'm finding it really hilarious and likable, even if it is functioning differently from before.
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, I love child Rust Cohle.
    Movie Theater Diary

The verbal fight over e-mail content alone was worth it.

Keith David is killing every line he's given. I didn't know his comedy chops were this great.

Something about this season just feels insubstantial and half-assed. There are still really great moments here and there, but on the whole it just doesn't feel like the show I love. I'm really sad about the fact that I feel like I'm watching Community as much out of obligation as anything.

Also, how can Yahoo! Screen be such an incompetent technological platform?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Keith David is killing every line he's given. I didn't know his comedy chops were this great.

Something about this season just feels insubstantial and half-assed. There are still really great moments here and there, but on the whole it just doesn't feel like the show I love. I'm really sad about the fact that I feel like I'm watching Community as much out of obligation as anything.

Also, how can Yahoo! Screen be such an incompetent technological platform?
    I watch it on apple tv and the app has worked perfectly.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Well, the browser player sucks.

It does seem to work slightly better on Internet Explorer than on Chrome or Firefox on my desktop.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Well, the browser player sucks.

It does seem to work slightly better on Internet Explorer than on Chrome or Firefox on my desktop.
    The Firefox thing is ironic, seeing as how Yahoo has a deal with them.

I had some problems with the first two eps for desktop, but recently it's been going fine. Not completely convinced by the season itself though. I'm ready for it to end.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    That sucks. The apple tv app which I've used to watch the whole series so far hasn't had a single ad and I haven't had a single hiccup with it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

The Roku app is awful. It autoplays random concerts when you start it, it's hard to search for things, and fast-forwarding/rewinding is a nightmare. It also doesn't play where you left off when you stop an episode.

My roommate works for Yahoo and we constantly give her shit for it.
    Movie Theater Diary

I dunno, I know exactly what watching Community out of a sense of obligation feels like, because that was what Season 4 was like for me. I think with this Yahoo version, it's more like I've acknowledged that the show I championed has effectively died, and something else took its place that I'm finding just as enjoyable but in a very different form. It feels more anarchic and haphazard and less polished, but the sense of humor has changed to something far more irreverent to fit this new style better. It would be a lot worse, I think, if they attempted the same uplifting network sitcom tone they had before with the current production value. It certainly feels less sincere/special now, but I think it's equally as entertaining. I've been laughing pretty hard a lot.
    Movie Theater Diary

The Sting is a delightful film and I will throw down with anyone who disagrees.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast