Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol

Why do you all watch this show?

Don't read too much connotation into that. I'm asking that literally.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)

To see young aspiring entertainers struggle to adapt to mainstream expectations and industry manipulation.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

My wife likes it. We have an agreement: I watch shows like this with her and she watches all of those "weird movies that those people on the website" talk about.

I enjoy the competition aspect of it, though. I watch to see who can raise their game each week and out sing the rest of the competitors. If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    To see young aspiring entertainers struggle to adapt to mainstream expectations and industry manipulation.
    Thank you, at least, for pointedly using the word "entertainers." Though I myself find nothing entertaining about that show beyond the occasional good singer, my mother and brother are hooked on it. Beyond that, should they really be encouraged to adapt to mainstream expectations and should that be the reason to watch? Is it really that fun to watch innocent, naive talent be squeezed and sculpted by a manipulative and canny industry? I kinda find it soul-crushing, and not just because of Ryan Seacrest.

But I admit I can see why others would find it a lark.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I like to laugh when Simon makes someone feel this small.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting rocus (view post)
    If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.
    Yeah, definitely. It's all about context. I think I like it for the same reason I enjoy watching karaoke. It's not about making beautiful music necessarily. I enjoy the dynamics of the room and watching how people strategize to please a broad audience. I like pondering about why one thing succeeds and one thing fails. It doesn't even really matter if the show rewards the talent that I happen to think is best. I enjoy analyzing why that happened.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

My wife likes it. We have an agreement: I watch shows like this with her and she watches all of those "weird movies that those people on the website" talk about.
    That is an oft-cited reason indeed.

I enjoy the competition aspect of it, though. I watch to see who can raise their game each week and out sing the rest of the competitors. If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.
    Oh I'm definitely not comparing them to musicians. I know what they are, and what they are is perfectly fine...for what they are. I must admit I glean grim satisfaction out of one of the winner's failed attempts at releasing an album. I know that probably sounds horrible of me, given that it's these peoples' dreams, but hey a bellyflop is entertaining in its own right.

--Homer

Beyond that, should they really be encouraged to adapt to mainstream expectations and should that be the reason to watch? Is it really that fun to watch innocent, naive talent be squeezed and sculpted by a manipulative and canny industry?
    Just to be clear, I get more enjoyment out of it when the young talent succeeds in the face of manipulation rather than crumbles. I don't watch it for sadistic pleasure like some. The first episodes are my least favorite. I see the incoherent judges and the drooling masses as the villians and the newcomers as the sympathetic protagonists (generally).
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Yeah, definitely. It's all about context. I think I like it for the same reason I enjoy watching karaoke. It's not about making beautiful music necessarily. I enjoy the dynamics of the room and watching how people strategize to please a broad audience. I like pondering about why one thing succeeds and one thing fails. It doesn't even really matter if the show rewards the talent that I happen to think is best. I enjoy analyzing why that happened.
    Sure, and that's shrewd of you, but you must admit that the vast, vast, VAST majority of people watching the show aren't analyzing it in nearly the same way, including my mom and brother. I'm not a doom-and-gloomer who insists that it's the downfall of American civilization (course not...other countries have their versions too!). But I will say I think it's perfectly rational why it attracts so many millions of viewers; at the same time, it's perfectly odd and curious.

--Homer

Just to be clear, I get more enjoyment out of it when the young talent succeeds in the face of manipulation rather than crumbles. I don't watch it for sadistic pleasure like some. The first episodes are my least favorite. I see the incoherent judges and the drooling masses as the villians and the newcomers as the sympathetic protagonists (generally).
    Yeah I figured that's what you meant. But I don't think the producers have that in mind. They're just present to manufacture, manufacture, manufacture.

--Homer

I can't believe that punk kid sang John Lennon's "Imagine" and pretended that the first two verses don't exist. If you don't want to sing about "no heaven" or "no religion", pick a different song.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I can't believe that punk kid sang John Lennon's "Imagine" and pretended that the first two verses don't exist. If you don't want to sing about "no heaven" or "no religion", pick a different song.
    Um, they only have enough time for partial songs, and he mentioned he liked the third verse the most. What's with the misguided hostility?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Um, they only have enough time for partial songs, and he mentioned he liked the third verse the most. What's with the misguided hostility?
    Oh come on, it's a coincidence that he neutered the song and chose the one that doesn't explicitly condemn religion? It just annoys me when people pretend that John Lennon didn't say what he said.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    I think the point is that "the worst" changes every week. If by chance the "real" worst one gets voted off, then they come up with the new worst person to vote for. So Hicks might not have been the worst to start, but he might have been the worst of, say, the last 10 contestants.
    I'm sorry, I watched every episode that year, and Taylor Hicks was the only talent in the entire competition.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Oh come on, it's a coincidence that he neutered the song and chose the one that doesn't explicitly condemn religion? It just annoys me when people pretend that John Lennon didn't say what he said.
    The angry atheist. You should start a late-night talk show to even out the drone of the evangelicals.

I'm just surprised that all the judges thought that was an amazing performance. I don't know if it's mandated by the producers or what, but seriously? Nothing special.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    I'm just surprised that all the judges thought that was an amazing performance. I don't know if it's mandated by the producers or what, but seriously? Nothing special.
    Yeah, I mean at best he's the second coming of Donny Osmond. Whoop-dee-doo.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

The girls were frakkin' awful. Every one of them. Well, OK, I missed the first two (which included Carly). But the other eight were borderline atrocious.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Carly did pretty damn well in my opinion. Video.

But mostly I got to agree with you. Amanda was particularly disappointing. That song was a mess.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I'll third that. This season is shaping up to be worst than last, and that's pretty bad.

I've always found it strange that they make the contestants sing the same song that they sucked at the night before as their grand exit off the show. Let's relive your terrible performance one more time, shall we.

After tonight, I am fairly certain of who my favorite guy is. Good cover of the Cohen song, though it was pretty much just like the Buckley version. Still, well performed.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    After tonight, I am fairly certain of who my favorite guy is. Good cover of the Cohen song, though it was pretty much just like the Buckley version. Still, well performed.
    I was looking through another blog and someone posted a youtube of him doing it. I agree nice, but yeah owes a considerable debt to Buckley, although it'd be hard not to.

--Homer

Definitely agreed on Jason. Also liked David C.'s take on Lionel Richie.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I really liked the Hello song, too. When he walked out with a guitar I wasn't sure that it would work, but it was very good. Performance of the night for me.

Tainted Love guy and Luke (who sang the Wham song) both need to go.

Wait, that kid that some of you were dismissing a couple pages back... was that Josiah Lemming? A friend of mine recorded a cover of one of his songs which just turned me onto the kid's music. From what I've heard so far, I really like him.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast