Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: American Idol

Ellen Quits, Kara reportedly being forced off. All good things.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/186821
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Ellen Quits, Kara reportedly being forced off. All good things.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/186821
    What's good is that with all this judging turmoil, and such crappy competition last season, it appears we're that much closer to the end of this abominable show.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    What's good is that with all this judging turmoil, and such crappy competition last season, it appears we're that much closer to the end of this abominable show.
    Definitely ending soon. If next season starts with the judge line-up of Randy Jackson, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, there won't be a season 11.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, I don't know why this show remains more popular than So You Think You Can Dance, which is superior in every way I can think off the top of my head.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Also, I don't know why this show remains more popular than So You Think You Can Dance, which is superior in every way I can think off the top of my head.
    Because I care more about, and feel I can better amateurishly judge, singing as opposed to dancing.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I don't think I "care" about the winning talents of either show, but I do find the ability to successfully pull off seemingly impossible choreography far more impressive than occasionally good karaoke.
    Movie Theater Diary

They should call the show "So What, you can Dance", because that's how much the public cares about people who make dancing a career.

Man, fuck the public.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'd say the public has this one right. Nobody cares about dancers, except for maybe other dancers.

Yet they care about athletes? The public's priorities are fucked.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yet they care about athletes? The public's priorities are fucked.
    I know. Watching who gets to become a backup dancer for Ke$ha is a lot more riveting than athletic competition.

I think you intended that to be sarcastic, but it actually is. A lot more. And much more artistically fulfilling.
    Movie Theater Diary

Although my initial post was about the superior format/production of the two reality shows, not the skills performed.
    Movie Theater Diary

Everyone seems to think the success of the show hinges on the judges, but they've always been one of the weakest aspects of the show in my opinion. Even the much heralded Simon is occasionally entertaining and occasionally right about judging talent, but seldom coherent when it comes to actually giving useful criticism.

You know what show had great judges? The Sing-Off. Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman and Nicole Scherzinger could take over Idol tomorrow and the show would be TONS better. They actually gave constructive music criticism that was sophisiticated enough to feel like it carried weight and import, but expressed it in a way that the average viewer could understand.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

One of the points SYTYCD has over Idol: the judges aren't musical has-been halfwits who give criticisms based on "not feelin' in" or "pitchy" or "that song's all wrong for you." The judges are actual renowned dancers and choreographers who can specifically point out what's wrong with the contestants' line forms, acting, sync, movement, etc, and continually demand to see weekly improvements rather than just good enough performances. That shit is demanding.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ellen was the best judge on the show last season from what I watched. At least she'll occasionally say something funny. Simon never has.

Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler? Yeah, I think this show is going to be pretty close to unwatchable.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler? Yeah, I think this show is going to be pretty close to unwatchable.
    I hope the three ride a big go kart together over a giant man-eating shark.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've never been a religious watcher of this show, but I'll catch it here and there every year. This performance tonight is defintiely one of the best I've ever seen come out of this show.

[youtube]pwcY0x7ClGM[/youtube]

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    I've never been a religious watcher of this show, but I'll catch it here and there every year. This performance tonight is defintiely one of the best I've ever seen come out of this show.

[youtube]pwcY0x7ClGM[/youtube]
    That was damn impressive, but she'll tear the holy hell out of her voice doing that too often.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Anyone who is still left over watching this show should start watching The Voice instead. It's better television.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021